• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What to call my fledgling website...?

KristoCat

Hi all, I wanted to get your opinions on this one.

I'm currently working on a website that's designed to be an information resource for readers, about both popular and literary fiction.

The database will include lots of vital info on books, such as title, author, number of pages, characters and their descriptions, plot synopsis, setting, subjects, genre labels, and, my favorite, Read-Alike suggestions. All created by me :D

One of my problems is... I don't know what to call it. I want a name that is informative and effectively conveys what the site is going to be about (information, help for readers) and is also catchy enough for people to click on the link when I advertise it.

So... any suggestions?

how about, the book forum? :cool: what? really? you sure? damn :(

how about something like "blibiophiliacs resource corner"

When it comes to naming the site you want to come up with a good word - maybe about five or six letters long - that is catchy. People remember catchy sites domains better than descriptive domains. Amazon, for example, has nothing to do with books although when you hear the word you do think of books now. I'd suggest not thinking along the lines of stuff with words such as book, shelf, nook, library, etc. in the title but devise a new word - or some literary reference - that can be branded to make your site unique.

I like Stewart's suggestion, as it will really make your site stand out from the crowd. The things which is most important with new websites is the quality of them & how well they are publicised. Even the most carefully crafted, best named website ever will fail if no one knows about it.

Good luck with the site, by the way.

What about naming it after a character from a book? Polonius came to mind, a second-string character from Shakespeare's Hamlet. You could get very obscure, but it would suggest you were 'in the know' about books.

Thanks so much guys! I'll keep ALL those suggestions in mind. I'm looking for something on the shorter side, like 1 or 2 words. Keep 'em coming!!! :D

maybe even an acronym of some sort if you want to keep it short, after all, I always remember imdb

I agree with the others - you want something catchy which people will remember.

I'm currently sat here with a domain name provider page open trying to decide on what I want for mine - though it is a lot easier for me. Mine is a purely personal site - i'm not attempting a resource (well certainly not the scale you are intendng).

Good luck in your project!

Ice said:
I'm currently sat here with a domain name provider page open trying to decide on what I want for mine - Mine is a purely personal site

What sort of personal stuff do you intend to put on it?

Stewart said:
What sort of personal stuff do you intend to put on it?
Ok - not exactly personal as their will be very little (possibly none) of my personal information on the site. It is mainly going to be a link to other resources.

Specific focus.

Would you choose .co.uk or .com (or both) - pro's and cons?

Also - would you hyphenate as oppose to one word if it was too long?

Ice said:
Would you choose .co.uk or .com (or both) - pro's and cons?

I would choose the .com and only the.co.uk if you wanted to monopolise the name. I don't know about advantages but if you have a name and someone mentions it to another then the first thing that they will think of is .com - it's a brand all of its own.

My next site will also be a .com although I intend to buy all the available domains and have them redirect to the main one.

Also - would you hyphenate as oppose to one word if it was too long?

When I decided upon www.talk-history.com over www.talkhistory.com it was a conscious decision. Search engines,when indexing the site, can break the two words into separate keywords which are more helpful than long one worded nonsence. If you are having more than one word then hyphenate.

Back