• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What to call my fledgling website...?

Ice said:
Me neither - it made me think of something that's certainly not to do with books :eek:

For some reason it seemed like a good name for a site marketing those Skinny Cow ice creams that are made out of skim milk. That's all I can think of now...gross...

Sar said:
So as this is a thread about naming websites, do we get to find out which urls you chose???
Nope - not yet :p

Stewart said:
It costs extra, if I remember correctly.
It didn't appear to - i'm pretty sure the cost remained the same. Thinking back I possibly should have chosen a host at the same time. Who are recommended? 1&1 are who I bought the domain names from - they also host sites.

Ice said:
I possibly should have chosen a host at the same time. Who are recommended? 1&1 are who I bought the domain names from - they also host sites.

It depends what you are looking for from a host and what your expectations of the site are.

• Do you want dynamic content?
  • Is your website data driven?
  • Can users interact with/supplement your content?
  • Do you intend on creating an online community?
  • Do you have eCommerce aspirations?
  • How much traffic do you think you will generate?
  • How much are you willing to pay?
  • How big is your site? Have you actually created it yet?
  • Do you want it Flash/Shockwave compatible?
  • If using a scripting language (PHP, ASP, Perl) then which one?

The list can go on and on. I currently use Ez Web Hosting in America. I've recently discovered Site 5 who have lots of recommendations and offer better value for money.

I would recommend an American host though as the strong pound over the weaker dollar offers you more for your cash. If you can pay for a whole year up front as it is considerably cheaper.

If you intend on an online community and use an American host then you should take into account the COPPA legislation which permits you to not take the details of those under 13 without written permission. Or, you could do what I do on Talk History, and not allow people under 13 to join unless they lie about their age which makes them liable. :D

PM me if you want to talk about it but don't want to make it public.

I was impressed at the value of the Site5 hosting you mentioned.

In answer to some of your questions:

Do you want dynamic content?
Probably not

Is your website data driven?
Yes

Can users interact with/supplement your content?
No

Do you intend on creating an online community?
No

Do you have eCommerce aspirations?
No

How much traffic do you think you will generate?
As little as possible hopefully :D Certainly not much at first.

How much are you willing to pay?
Now that depends - probably not much at first considering I do not want to attract that many people - maybe in time I will consider upgrading.

How big is your site? Have you actually created it yet?
Pass - No I haven't created it yet - however there will not be excessive graphics.

Do you want it Flash/Shockwave compatible?
Possibly though not essential.

If using a scripting language (PHP, ASP, Perl) then which one?
None - probably going to be packaged based then i'll modify the HTML afterwards (I'm not feeling like writing it all from scratch)

I would recommend an American host though as the strong pound over the weaker dollar offers you more for your cash. If you can pay for a whole year up front as it is considerably cheaper.
This is good information - thanks :)

If you intend on an online community and use an American host then you should take into account the COPPA legislation which permits you to not take the details of those under 13 without written permission. Or, you could do what I do on Talk History, and not allow people under 13 to join unless they lie about their age which makes them liable. :D
It won't be a problem as I am not having an online community - but if I ever did decide to it would certainly be one of the things I would need to take into account. I am already part of two communities for this topic (one UK based and one US based) - I don't feel that more are needed.

PM me if you want to talk about it but don't want to make it public.
I may take you up on your offer at some point :)

By data driven, I meant via an underlying database. I guess not although if you were to expand you'd need a couple of mySQL databases. :)

Sar said:
I know exactly what you mean, I don't like the fact a whois search can bring up my address :(

I actually found a way to fix the whole whois problem (without paying for it). It isn't exactly the "right" thing to do, but frankly I don't care. I think whois is a HUGE invasion of privacy and I refuse to submit to that crap.

Go to your registrar's site and look at their FAQ. There should be a question on there something about changing your contact info, email address, etc. Follow their directions to log into your account. Instead of "changing" all your info, just delete it. Most fields are required, so I just put dashes in there. Just make sure you don't change the billing info unless that is listed in whois too (register.com is the only one I've found so far that does it). Save your info and then look your site up on whois. I've never had a problem with doing this and I've used a couple different registrars.

bobbyburns said:
hey stewart, I'm working on an SQL database right now. if I run into any problems, can you help me out?

BY SQL are you referring to SQL Server, mySQL, or another?

KristoCat said:
Oh no! My thread has been hijacked! :(

OK. Back to the domain name issue. Be careful to look at the word before you register it. I just registered a domain and I chose the name of the street I grew up on. I gave it a lot of thought, but what I didn't notice was there's a little spelling issue. The word is vinnicum. Problem is the c-u-m part. Now, I'm getting dirty emails sent to the site. I don't have email set up, so they all get sent to my normal email box...

Sorry, bobbyburns, I've not got much experience with SQL Server. I keep meaning to site down and get to grips with it. :(

"The word is vinnicum. Problem is the c-u-m part. Now, I'm getting dirty emails sent to the site. I don't have email set up, so they all get sent to my normal email box..."

Very valuable bit of information....not sure many, if any would think about that until it's too late....

good advice, thanks.

but did anyone answer my question: would fictionlibrarian.org or booknet.org be too boring?

KristoCat said:
good advice, thanks.

but did anyone answer my question: would fictionlibrarian.org or booknet.org be too boring?

I like fictionlibrarian. I think booknet is boring.

Back