• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What - to date - is your ALL time fave book

Baby Dolly

What to date, is your all time favourite book: or if you can't pick just one, pick your top...3

Mine are:

Tess of the D'urbevilles - Hardy
The Thorn Birds - Coleen McCulloch
Midnight is a lonely place - Barbara Erskine :confused:

It's impossible to name three.

But if I had to I'd say:
  • The book I'm reading now.
  • The book I read last.
  • The book I'll read next.
In no particular order ..

Cheers, Martin :cool:

Yeah, too difficult to pick 10 let alone one or three.

BTW, is it the drugs or is there a giant yellow rotating smiley face???

Regards
SillyWabbit

--Who Moved My Cheese from my boss, she gave it to me,a week after I filed my resignation.
--Tuesdays With Morrie-small book but I learn a lot
--Chicken Soup for A Womans Soul- just love the story.

1) The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
even though I am only up to Chapter 6 so far for the first time
2) Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
3) Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

I have only just got back into reading after about a 10 year break because of the amount of reading and time I spend on the internet...

i'll pick one that changed my life, can't remember much about it though - he he.

"On the road" Jack Kerouac, after reading this i had to travel immediatley, don't know anyone that this book hasn't had that effect on them. Even my best mate who had never left the country tried living in spain after this one!

ksky

Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg. It made me realize how much I wanted to return to my hometown, which I am doing at this moment.

The Dragonriders Trilogy by Anne McCaffrey. I first read this series more than 12 years ago and read it about once a year because I love the characters, the planet, and the dragons so much.

There are many, many others which I love, but I guess I'd say these are my absolute favorites.

Mine are:

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

The Talisman by Stephen King

and anything by Jasper Fforde

It is, and always shall be, Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. I can't see anything I've yet to read better this story.

If I HAD to narrow it down to three (which it seems I do):

Tess of the D'Urberville - What a book! Not the Jane Austin style I was expecting! Reminded be a bit of the Scarlet Letter without all the absurd symbolism! It deals with similar themes. A little slow to get into, but halfway through I couldn't put it down and was practically sobbing. GORGEOUS descriptions too.

Walk Two Moons - A childrens book by Sharon Creech, I read it over and over and over. She has such a way of taking "big topics" (death, cheating spouses, etc.) and writing about them for children without dumbing them down. She has such a sweet style. Even if you're an adult, don't be embarassed to pick up this book!

Brave New World - I liked it considerably better then 1984. Though I'm not of the school of thought saying this is necessarilly the future of humanity, it was still particularly interesting and qutie exciting.

I have a few books which I can't really order. So, in no particular order, here are the books that stick with me a very long time:

-The secret history - Donna Tartt
-The House of leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski
-Revolutionary Road - Richard Yates
-Perfume - Patrick Suskind
-Books of Blood - Clive Barker
-A prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
-Into thin air - Jon Krakauer

As for thrillers, I definitely choose everything from Henning Mankell and Karin Fossum, both Scandinavian writers, best of breed.

msm

1) Weaveworld - Clive Barker
2) The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
3) The Catcher in the Rye - Salinger

just 3 huh!

just 3 thats hard, so im going to try to cheat a little :D , three favs (not part of a series) books, and 3 favs series of books (and even so, 3 are so few :rolleyes: )

fav books:
the journeyer - garry jennings
the partner - john grisham
the 2nd wife - irving wallace

fav series
kane & abel, prodigal daughter, shall we tell the president - jeffrey archer
lives of the mayfair witches - anne rice
aztec, aztec autumn, aztec blood - garry jennings

Back