• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What's in a name?

Wabbit

We have had discussions before regarding if the cover of a book is an influence to your buying a book.

I am wondering how much the name of a novel influences you? I find that it is quite a big influence on me! If I am scanning row upon row of books at a book shop or stall, then I find myself stopping when a good sounding title catches my attention. Of course, I read the back to find if I like the book or not! But the title often will be a draw for me. How about you all?

Same goes as for the cover - it's the cover and the title that grab my initial attention. If either the cover or the title arouse an interest in any which way, I will pick it up. It up to the bookdescription to do the rest.

Cheers

Martin said:
Same goes as for the cover - it's the cover and the title that grab my initial attention. If either the cover or the title arouse an interest in any which way, I will pick it up. It up to the bookdescription to do the rest.

Ditto on that.

SillyWabbit said:
We have had discussions before regarding if the cover of a book is an influence to your buying a book.

I am wondering how much the name of a novel influences you? I find that it is quite a big influence on me! If I am scanning row upon row of books at a book shop or stall, then I find myself stopping when a good sounding title catches my attention. Of course, I read the back to find if I like the book or not! But the title often will be a draw for me. How about you all?

Can you give an example of what you would consider a great title? Just curious.

That's really difficult for me to do :)

It's kind of like how you like chocolate "just coz."

I will be scanning a row of books and will see a title. That title will grab me and I will think oooooh that's my kind of book!

How about Never Hit a Jellyfish with a Spade by Guy Browning.
Someone at work had this and it caught my eye, started to read bits of it, very funny

Cabrasopa :cool:

SillyWabbit said:

I'm a bit of a magpie to I tend to be drawn to 'pretty, shiny books' :D I'm also a a complete name nerd so if the character has a good name then I would pick it up, if I didn't like the name I probably couldn't get through the first chapter.

The title name doesn't really bother me

Alice

Oh come on. There must be existing titles that have attracted you that way?

I think "The Secret History" is a great title, as is "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy."

What caught my attention many years ago was a book called "The Eight" by Katherine Neville. It seemed an odd title because you normally don't have a number in a noun spot. Plus, there was a big ol' infinity sign on the cover, so between the cover and the title, I was intrigued!

That's the one thing in writing...there's nothing so difficult for me as coming up with a good title!

Yes, that can be a difficult task!

The book I am reading right now is The Wind-up Bird Chronicle. The chapter heading titles are all so wonderful! Not only does it have an interesting title but each chapter has marvellous headings ( normally two or three to each chapter ) and they really intrigue and draw you into the given chapter.

'Shadow of the Wind'
liked the title loved the cover

4g6gdu

I often choose books based on a good title or cover art. I picked up both Kissing in Manhattan because I liked the cover art and No Way to Treat a First Lady because the title sounded fun.

I pick up eye catching covers & titles, too, some of my favorite titles have to be, A Confederacy of Dunces, Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas, Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates, How to Lose Friends And Alienate People, I seem to like the longer more descriptive titles. I also will look closer at a book because I like the color or style of lettering used on the cover, or yes just because it has a pretty picture on the front.

SexyWabbit said:
I find that it is quite a big influence on me! If I am scanning row upon row of books at a book shop or stall, then I find myself stopping when a good sounding title catches my attention. Of course, I read the back to find if I like the book or not! But the title often will be a draw for me.
same here

Martin said:
ditto

I am more impressed by the title than the cover of the book. It sometimes happens that I read the complete book without even looking (paying close attention) at the fornt cover.

Some of the titles which caught my attention and made me put them on my TBR:
- Short history of nearly everything
- The third chimpanzee
- Shadow of the window
- Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader

I read the book 'The third twin' just because the title caught my attention!

sanyuja said:
- Shadow of the window
I'm not sure if this is a typo or not, but I did laugh out loud! :D

Ahem.

The title does make a difference, I guess. The thing about me is I try to learn as much about a book first before picking it up. I've seldom picked up a book on a whim - I usually already know of the author or the book through reviews or recommendations, so I know what I'm looking for.

I didn't pick up Eye of the World despite always seeing it on the shelves because I thought the title sounded boring and the cover old fashioned. I picked up Wizard's First Rule because of the word Wizard. :)

ds

Back