• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What's the WORST book you ever read?

Tom Clancy

I abseloutley despise any book by Tom Tlancy (i don't have anything agaist him, im sure he is a generally nice chap :) ). It is my personal opinion that his books are as repetitive in there storylines as James Bond movies (the ones I have read anyway), I think that most of the books in the netforce series are rude, and to me, they are monotinous, but this is not my kind of book anyway and I have only read two so don't take my word on it, you might like them.

I began reading 'The Dick Cheney Code' because i'm a fan of parodies. This was by far the stupidist book I have ever read.

I'm going with the definition of a "worst book" is one that no matter how hard I try,I just can't get into it. And in that case, I have no clue. If I can't get into a book at all (and I have read some pretty dry stuff), I put it down and move on to the next one. There's just too much out there to read to force myself through a book I can't stand. I also borrow heavily from the library, so I have no pressure to read what I have.

The Summer Tree by Guy Gavriel Kay. The whole Fionavar Tapestry Trilogy was given to me by a friend after I finished LOTR ages ago. Someone told him it was of the same ilk and would be a good read for Rings fans. I tried and got maybe 70 pages in and couldn't continue. I tried again a few years later when it wasn't the follow-up act to LOTR. I got about the same distance and had to put it down. I tried again just last year and the same thing happened. Just could not get into it. I gave it a shot 3 times over a period of at least 10 years and could not get into it. But I never did actually read the whole thing so I guess it doesn't qualify? ;)

Peeps on Amazon rate it rather well but I don't know anyone personally who has read it. Maybe I'll try again one day but with so many good books out there I haven't read it would be hard to justify another attempt.

I think I'll choose "The Da Vinci Code". I found myself skipping paragraphs completely, and bored to tears. Predictable and dumb. Yet I read it from cover to cover... I thought a good ending could improve the book. Man I was wrong. Awful writing. Awful ending. Awful book.

With "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand, I was skeptical, but although I almost completely disagree with what she says, it was well written and nicely paced. And it's a looooong book.

Oooh, and how could I forget! "The Celestine Prophecy", by James Redfield. Oh my, when I read it, I couldn't believe how poorly written it was. It looked like written by me, and I have no skills whatsoever for writing... It's even worse than "Da vinci code" if that's possible, at least I finished "The Da Vinci Code"...

oh!!oh!!oh!! I've got one!!! Hehe!! I did actually finish a bad book. Drumroll, please.....Death At The Spring Plant Sale by Ann Ripley. Dull, just plain dull. No zip, no zing, I even had the killer pegged before the amateur sleuth/main character did, and I hate that.

it wasn't the worst book i've ever read, and for some reason when i was in nyc, i went into rizzoli's..cool spot...anyway, picked up this book written by a girl who goes by melissa p...100 strokes of the brush before bed, i think it's called...anywho, turned out to be this weird sexcapade of this young italian girl..odd...but, yet..had to read it cover to cover.... ;)

The first one that springs to mind is The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum. It's just so extremely long-winded, dull and repetitive.

And then I made the mistake of reading The Bourne Supremacy to see whether it improved.

It didn't.

Arthur C. Clarke's "Rendezvous with Rama". It makes no sense whatsoever. It ends with something about how "Ramans to everything in threes" as though that explains everything, but it doesn't. It's a fairly long book, and infuriating that such an otherwise fine writer would turn out such a piece of trash. And: There's a sequel!! Aaargh. Probably two of them - maybe that's what the whole business about doing things in threes meant.

Just kill me if I ever threaten to read anything by this author again.

At the bottom of page 4, I nominated Dark Tales of Time and Space by Sean Wright. Looks like I'm not alone, here's the only other review of it I've seen, from The Harrow fantasy and horror site:

Rapper Joey Steffano, best known for his alter-ego "Crack Boy," is killed in concert and finds himself on a mysterious train ride through a dark and dangerous place, struggling to figure out what happened and what the train's apparent owner, Franklin J. Merryhill, wants from him. At the same time, his darker half, Crack Boy, is struggling on foot through a perilous landscape, fighting to reach a city he can't enter and plagued by angels he doesn't want to hear.

Dark Tales of Time and Space is a confusing short novel aimed for young adult readers that addresses personal responsiblity in life and in death. If the novel simply followed Joey Steffano as he struggles with narcissism and denial, it would be an easier (if somewhat clichéd) read. However, soon after entering the train Joey is split in half, and Crack Boy, a fictional rap personage turned living embodiment of all in Joey that is actively evil, has his own bizarre adventures in a timeless and alien world that bears no direct relationship to the spacescape Merryhill's train is traversing. Crack Boy's adventures are more intriguing than Joey's, but his unexplained mutilation and sudden shifts from place to place add more questions than they answer. Moreover, while Joey's story reaches a conclusion, Crack Boy's fate is never satisfactorily resolved.

For some reason, lengthy "newspaper articles" about political and natural disasters have been inserted throughout the novel. The author's introduction notes that he wrote the novel at the same time that these events were happening, but the articles, most of which run a page and a half in length, are nothing but awkward interruptions that add to the novel's page count and do nothing to further its plot. One might expect that the disasters being described in the articles would eventually give Joey deeper insight into his own condition or propel him toward emotional or spiritual growth, but they don't—Joey's character development is entirely independent of the excerpts. In the end one can only wonder why an editor didn't pull out a red pencil and scratch through these useless digressions from the storyline.

The novel's intentions are noble. What better way to entice young adults to think about moral responsibility and the afterlife than through a rap-star protagonist in a novel that doesn't shy away from references to drug addiction and sex? But Dark Tales of Time and Space fails to achieve its goal—the plot is muddled and poorly paced and the characters are one-dimensional and reactive. While some of the novel's images are quite striking—I won't soon forget the vision of Crack Boy firing his Smith & Wesson at a hovering angel—they just can't redeem this novel from its overall incoherence.

I read a book by Jack Higgins, Dark Justice. It was absolute crap, Russians drink Vodka, Muslims are terrorists, and the hero is a reformed former IRA hitman... :rolleyes:

worst book

Absolutely-- We were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates. I just don't get her ... everytime I sat down to read it I got a new headache...

The worst book I've read (tried to read) was a collection of short stories sent to me by a self-published author, both of which shall remain nameless.

Against my better judgment, I agreed to read and possibly review it for him. It was excrutiating! There were so many errors - typos, spelling, grammar - that I only managed to get through the first two and a half stories before I gave up. In one story, a character's name was spelled three different ways. As a means to keep myself interested, I started counting spelling mistakes! Very sad.

Hm, sounds a lot like Sean Wright, Ell, whom I mentioned earlier in this thread. By the way, he has a new self-published 'classic' out soon, with the very bald-middle-aged-PE-teacher-tries-to-sound-hip-with-the-kids title of Wicked or What? You can read about it here.

Did I say he also has a fan site here which is well worth a look?

My Antonia by Willa Cather. Being from the midwest, we had to read her works every year. Dreadfully boring-I'd rather be kicked in the head by a horse.

Maybe not worst, but certainly over-rated...

I already weighed in with some of the genuine duds I read, mostly when my diet was 99% pulp.

But there's some books I've read that get lots of critical acclaim, get on English Dept. lists, etc., that I just hated.

'Catcher in the Rye,' I'm pretty sure wouldn't have bone into backlist printings without the threat of censorship to boost its stock.

'Moby Dick' was such torture it turned me off of classics for over a decade.

'The Scarlett Letter' is actually pretty good as Romantic period stuff goes, but it needs edited. If memory serves, the front third or so could be completely elminated. A colonial postal career just isn't interesting, and no story needs that much exposition before the actual plot gets underway.

'Lady Chatterley's Lover' really, really annoyed the hell out of me...I just couldn't stand it, it seemed to go on and on and on, just moaning about nothing..It seemed as though DH Lawrence hated one side of life, then came up with a solution, but immediately started hating that too...I ended up flinging the book across the room in temper by the end.. :(

Back