• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What's the WORST book you ever read?

Sell Sword

I try not to be too critical of published works, but let's face it: we've all read some absolute dreck at one time or another.

I'd have to say "Left Behind" wins the award for worst novel I've ever had the misfortune to read. I found it to be written on a very low intellectual level (and I'm no Rocket Scientist). It's a shame, too, because I felt that it had potential.

Hmm... I don't know what the worst is for me.

The worst Stephen King: Hearts in Atlantis. I enjoyed the first story, couldn't stand the rest.

I have books I dislike, but whether they are the worst, I'm not sure.
However, I think the worst book I've ever read is "Sabrina Fludde", because it had so much potential. That is, I loved the beginning, and the middle was alright but the ending was out-right unrealistic fantasy or not. I was so disappointed.

The Da Vinci Code, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime, anything by Stephen King since Insomnia, and anything by James Herbert since The Ghosts of Sleath.

The Hiram Key by Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas. If writing is like architecture, I wouldn't trust these guys to build a doghouse.

soxfan said:
The Hiram Key by Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas. If writing is like architecture, I wouldn't trust these guys to build a doghouse.

Interesting. Care to give an example?

The book before my current one is the worst: The Taking by Dean Koontz. For some of my reasons, read my review. Utterly appalling drivel (and I am a fan of Koontz too.) The only other two occasions I was reading a book I loathed so much, I didn't finish them. With this one, I must have felt some misguided loyalty to Koontz because of the good stuff he's written in the past. :rolleyes:

Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich...couldn't get through it. >_<

Also, there was this one author, I can't remember his name, who had a whole slew of books published that all took place in ancient Egyptian times and I thought the quality of writing was incredibly poor and well, amateur!

Hollis said:
there was this one author, I can't remember his name, who had a whole slew of books published that all took place in ancient Egyptian times and I thought the quality of writing was incredibly poor and well, amateur!

Wilbur Smith?

I don't think that was it. I'll probably just have to go back to the library and try to figure out who it was because I just can't remember!

Gerald's Game by Stephen King.

And in the creampuff fantasy genre, Vale of the Vole by Piers Anthony. Every syllable in that one substituted its correct pronunciation with a "v" sound, and Anthony had to type each "v" in instead of just giving us the general idea that his vole had a lisp. Horrid!

lenny nero said:
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. Ugh.
Just curious lenny_nero, what didnt you like about this book? I read this book a little while ago and didnt find it that bad! I wouldnt rate it as my favourite book, but it wasnt that bad! BTW, have you read Da Vinci code?

Just curious lenny_nero, what didnt you like about this book? I read this book a little while ago and didnt find it that bad! I wouldnt rate it as my favourite book, but it wasnt that bad! BTW, have you read Da Vinci code?
There's other, better books on these subjects that aren't strung together with horrible characters and simplistic narratives. Although, I do think it's great that more people are being exposed to the theories put forth in this and The Davinci Code(which I haven't read).

Back