• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What's wrong with the public library?

Mouse

I've only been a member for a month or so but I am interested to see that nearly all of you buy your books.

Is it because of consumerism and wanting to possess your own reading material?
- I know it's nice to read a brand new book but do you keep them all and never read them again?

Or is it because the library never has what you want?
- I can't believe that is totally true, as many of you seem to browse in bookshops and not always buy purposively.

Being a librarian I would be interested in what we need to do to encourage more readers to borrow ...

...or am I flogging a dead and mummified horse? :(

Well I both buy books and borrow from the library. If I really liked a book I read from the library I tend to want to purchase my own copy to: a) lend out and b) ready to read again at a later date.

As to why buy rather than use the library:

1) 3 weeks to read a book before you need to return it isn't always enough, especially for longer books. Buying your own allows you to read at your leisure. Granted it's not feasable to give unlimited borrowing time on all books, but for books such as 'A Suitable Boy' or 'The Stand' having more copies stocked and longer borrowing times may be the way to go.
2) Some people like to collect away
3) Not all the books in the library are in the best condition after they're returned. I know it shouldn't really make a difference, but to many people I know it does.
I always thought that the library 'catalogues' should be made available online so people could peruse from home, and be able to 'reserve books' using a combination of their names and library card numbers so books are available for them to pick up when they next visit their libraries. It also lets people know 'hey your library stocks those books you've been meaning to purchase for sometime'.

I'll put my $0.02 in here, if it's even worth that much! :D

I work Monday through Friday 8:00am-5:00pm, and I live about 40 minutes away from the office. The closest library is about 20 minutes out of the way, and is only open during the week and 9am-12pm on Saturdays (my only day to sleep late!). So that is my main reason for not making better use of my hometown library.

Also, I just simply love to buy books. I'd say my current bookshelf consists of 50% brand new books and 50% secondhand store books. If I love a book, I'll keep it for a possible future reread or lend it out to a friend (knowing I probably won't get it back!). If I don't feel like my friends would want to read the book and I don't expect to reread it, I trade it in for credit at my local secondhand store (which is really awesome, by the way - I love it).

I think we live (here in America, anyway) in a very consumerized and lazy society where people would rather pay a few extra bucks and not have to worry about returning something. It's a kind of sad fact, but true in my opinion.

In America public libraries are very poorly funded for book buying. Their mission is changing, mostly because of the Internet. Usually they will not have the books I want to read on the shelf. Most of the trade books are at least 10 years old, and the classics have been destroyed by frequent borrowing over many years.

Nowadays my local libraries each have 5-10 computers donated by the Bill and Mellissa Gates Foundation a couple of years ago, and these are always crowded with kids doing homework research.

Anyone over the age of 20 remembers being sent to the local library a couple of times a year to research a paper. (history of your town, Abraham Lincoln, that kind of stuff). Now most kids do that at home on the Internet. Microfilm is obsolete, encyclopedias are obsolete.

Public libraries are rewriting their mission, and it is not primarily to provide new trade books to the public for entertainment, but to provide a portal for research and self-education. Ini the US, this is a very explicit change.

I like the ability to write in my books. Plus, for reasons unbeknownst to me, I just like reading a new book. I do not know why, but I get more satisfaction out of it.

Oh forgot to mention another point earlier...

When buying books, there are certain 'must have' books, or books that grab you from the first paragraph/page. However there are quite a few books out there that I'm not sure about, or have several conflicting reviews from different sources. For me, the library's ideal for these books that otherwise I may have passed overdue to uncertainty.

Also there are certain books that you know you're probably only ever going to read once, or books that you're merely curious about (eg lots of publicity - what's the big deal?). I personally can't afford every book that catches my fancy, so often resort to the library.

I did enjoy some of the book drives used by the libraries over here recently - eg The Big Read, setting up more book groups, whatever the thing was called where books were paired up to be contrasted (eg Jane Eyre and Rebecca).

It's a shame to hear about the American library system, and in a way I guess it's happening over here as well. Actual book stocks seem to becoming more and more reliant on books 'donated by readers.'

fluffy bunny said:
It's a shame to hear about the American library system, and in a way I guess it's happening over here as well.

I don't know that it's such a shame. The libraries are trying to serve the public best, and so they are offering more Internet and online access. That's a great service for many people. They are also expanding their nonreading public programming, with exhibits, lectures, films, etc., becoming more filtered media outlets than reading rooms. Libraries have always been a place to learn how to find and use good information, and that's what they continue to do.

Aside from anything else, paperback books in the US are pretty inexpensive (compared with other countries), especially used books. Most secondhand stores wouldn't charge more than 3 bucks for a paperback and maybe 5 for a hardcover. So the need for a trade-book lender is pretty small.

I always buy my books! There are a number of reasons and none of them have to do with consumerism :rolleyes:

1) I like collecting books. Some people collect stamps. Some people collect little gnomes. I collect books. I LOVE everything about books. I love the scent of forests printed with worlds of words. I like the magic of books that they can transport you to another time, or place, or another person, or even another world. I'm entranced with the beauty of language. I'm enraptured with stories contained and preserved on paper. I love the art on book covers. I like EVERYTHING about books and so I collect them as well as read them.

2) For me also it's a freedom issue. I'm not passively waiting for the TV to show me something I may find mildly enjoyable. I can read whenever I want to and read whatever I want to. I have hundreds and hundreds of books here ranging over myriad genres and styles. Many are old friends and some are new and waiting for me to know them. Vast undiscovered worlds of words and beauty. Adventure and knowledge. Borrowing from the library can't give me that. They almost certainly won't have the books that I want and even if they do I can only borrow a few at a time. I want to read WHAT books I want and WHEN I want to read them. I don't want to have to go to the library hoping they have an old favourite there. What if it's late on a Saturday night and I want to read that old novel I really liked? Have a library open 24 hours a day, close to me, and have it stock every single book that I could possibly want and then I will be interested!!!

3) As mentioned, I love books. Why would I want to give it back after I read it? I want it here with me. The book is full of memories. A book is not just a book. It's not just some paper with some words on it. For example. I remember sun washed days sitting by the window, my skin warm with sunlight. I have a coffee by my side, dark and rich. I am reading 100 years of solitude and later my friend telephones me and we talk about it. Great days. Shall I give that book along with my memories back? I want to keep it.

I could never give a book away. Even one that I didn't like. They are all my children. I love them all :)

fluffy bunny said:
I always thought that the library 'catalogues' should be made available online so people could peruse from home, and be able to 'reserve books' using a combination of their names and library card numbers so books are available for them to pick up when they next visit their libraries. It also lets people know 'hey your library stocks those books you've been meaning to purchase for sometime'.

i like this idea too. i love the library, i often buy things later that i have borrowed and really enjoyed but if i hated it then no harm done to the pocket book. my biggest challenge is getting there alone. with 2 kids under 5 it is an obstacle to look for books for myself, so the idea of being able to browse online and them put in for a reservation is brilliant.

also when i worked in a bookstore(it was an independant) we always did a book drive for the library, called adopt a book. the library would give us a massive list of what was needed and then people could come in and purchase the book, with a discount. we would then print off a book plate saying that this book had been donated by so and so. it was always a hit and kept the library well stocked with current reading.

I'm pretty much of the same as Wabbit here. I collect books too. I also like to re-read them at my leisure.

I borrowed lots of books from my high school library, but after I graduated I found that public library was too far out of the way.

jenngorham said:
we always did a book drive for the library, called adopt a book. the library would give us a massive list of what was needed and then people could come in and purchase the book

This sounds like a great idea! I'll have to investigate the possibilities. Thanks.

We have posters up asking for donations, but nine times out of ten it's people clearing out their junk and the books are not fit for a charity shop.

Mouse said:
This sounds like a great idea! I'll have to investigate the possibilities. Thanks.
no prob. we did it every spring and we always sold about 300 books. sometimes the library would ask for doubles of really popular books. it was really just a list of what was needed, childrens books as well. we would also give out reciepts for tax purposes. i think people liked donating this way as they felt they had some say as to where their money was going.

I'm rather like Wabbit; I like to keep my books - particularly the ones I've enjoyed.

However, I also borrow from the library. When I do, it's usually for several specific reasons: it's an author or book I'm unsure of and want to try out; a new release that I can't afford in hardback and don't want to wait for in paperback (e.g. Oryx and Crake); an unusual or older book I can't find in a bookstore; or a book that I know will be a quick, light read.

fluffbunny said:
We have this kind of system here. There are a number of regional libraries linked together on a common database. If the book is in the system, you can reserve it and have it sent to your local library (or library of your choice) for pick up. You can also track the status of your request online. When the book is in, they send an automated telephone message to your home or office.

There's also an option to 'suggest' new purchases if the book you're looking for isn't in the system. In addition, you can special order books from local college libraries - handy for older, out of print books. A great system! I never realized how lucky we are here until I started reading kelliebelle's post.

Oh, and I buy some of my used books from the annual library sale, too. :)

I rarely lend books at the library, they don't have always have the books I want to read, at least not in english. I also prefer that it is my book, and that I can go and pick it up anytime I would want to.
I don't now for how long you can lend a book, but I hate having deadlines hanging over my head, I find that I just don't enjoy it nearly as much.

I used to buy my books, but have been going to the library for the past couple of years. I find that I'll take more chances on books since they're free and if I don't like them, I can just take them back. I don't think I've ever searched for a book that I couldn't find.

Our library also has the online catalog where you can place holds and be notified by telephone or e-mail when they are ready. I usually go to Barnes and Noble or Amazon to read reviews if I need more info, then place the holds at the library's web site.

The libraries here seem to have a lot of computers, but one thing I notice that I'm not sure I approve of is that the computers will be full, and someone will have one reserved so that they can sit there playing games. So someone else is probably standing there, biting their nails, waiting for a computer to be freed up so that they can do research for an assignment.

Also, the local libraries seem to be fairly open, airy, and very well lit. Unlike some of the ones I used to frequent in Southern California.

Partly it's selection, I want what I want to read now, not when someone checks it back in. I also don't want to bother about due dates. Plus, I'm just naturally acquisitive. And they look so nice in my library. And I don't have to worry about possibly maltreating it, so if it's mine, I can take in anywhere.

Mouse said:
Being a librarian I would be interested in what we need to do to encourage more readers to borrow?
Could you tell us more about your library?
Is the trouble with borrowing or with getting people to visit the library? Do you have a limited budget that makes it difficult to get best sellers and currently popular books? Is it easy for the public to access your catalog; to request a book that is checked out; to ask the library to carry certain titles?

Generally the number of people coming into the library has increased - mainly due to free internet access. There is a steady decline in the number of books issued, however, despite an increase in the number of bestsellers and new books available.

I am trying face on displays of books of the month and recommended reads.

We do have our catalogue online for remote access and reserving items.

We are supposed to do some marketing and start getting new people through the doors, but many people I talk to tell me their lifestyle is too busy to be able to visit a library. This seems to tally with some of the response here and also the fact that people like to own their own stuff.

I have a few books at home that I've bought, but they are just going yellow. I will probably never look at them again as there are far too many new titles out there to experience.

Mouse said:
I've only been a member for a month or so but I am interested to see that nearly all of you buy your books.

Is it because of consumerism and wanting to possess your own reading material?
- I know it's nice to read a brand new book but do you keep them all and never read them again?

- I can't believe that is totally true, as many of you seem to browse in bookshops and not always buy purposively.

Being a librarian I would be interested in what we need to do to encourage more readers to borrow ...

...or am I flogging a dead and mummified horse? :(
There is absolutely nothing wrong with my local public library. It is small but the staff is excellent and I know that if a desired book is not on the shelf, I can request it, through inter-library loan, another library in the system, or they will simply buy the books when it is time to purchase books.
I know that this is not the case many places in the US and in other countries, and it is a shame.
I also will probably never read a book twice, so buying a book, at least to me, is often a waste of my money, like buying an evening gown or a tuxedo you're only going to wear once. Books I do buy are most often reference in some sort of capacity, or children's books, which will be read over and over. I read A LOT and I simply cannot afford to buy everything I read brand new. I would have to quit reading or quit eating. I also have no preference to the condition of the book. If it the print is legible, pages not falling out or stuck together, I'll read it.
I must add that I visit the library just about every week, occcaisionally twice. I am known there and I know I am the exception rather than the rule.

1) I like collecting books. Some people collect stamps. Some people collect little gnomes. I collect books. I LOVE everything about books. I love the scent of forests printed with worlds of words. I like the magic of books that they can transport you to another time, or place, or another person, or even another world. I'm entranced with the beauty of language. I'm enraptured with stories contained and preserved on paper. I love the art on book covers. I like EVERYTHING about books and so I collect them as well as read them.
- Silly Wabbit

Ditto. That is one of the reasons I like buying. However now that I'm a student I must be sensible and I mUST LOOK AT THE LIBRARY.

I have a library book out now but it's overdue ad I keep forgetting to take it back which is a bit of a bum. That is my problem with libraries - having to renew them all the time. I have actually, since bought the book new but I want to read the library version because it's been read and I don't want to break into a new book at the end of it - if you know what I mean. Books should be read starting from the beginning.

I want to check the library for Mein Kamf because of a morbid interest and it's too expensive to buy. My main problem with libraries though is that the majority of books are in hard back which is a form I really do try to avoid to buy. There are a few paper backs I know... like some of the classics of course, but many other books are in hard back. I know that this is probably more practical for a library as their books must come across a lot of wear and tear so of course a hardback is more sensible.

I'll try to put this prejudice aside - as I've said to myself stop buying books. There is something magical and almost romantic though about lookng through a library. I'm lucky that my local library is literally right next to my halls of residense. It doesn't even take three minutes to get there (no excuse to why book is late though is it) and they have a good collection of DVDs and CDs as well.

Personally, because it's so near I wouldn't like to peruse an online catalogue, I'd just reather scan the shelves and pick up what I think looks interesting.

I need to stop collecting books. I'm sure Ottakars has already gotten at least half of my student loan. Damn the palce for being a ten minutes walk away if that... damn the place for the smell of Costa's coffee, for the sofas in order to sit and read, for the glittery green carpet that entices you into the warmth... I have over 200 books now and the damn thing is probably going to double in number within the next three years. I am I must say... totally obsessed with buying books.

Back