• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What's wrong with the public library?

It's a shame that we are getting rid of most of our old books and reserve stocks then, as soon we will have few out of print books left for people to borrow.
More and more we rely on borrowing outside - very often we get books from America, as it is cheaper then using the British Library!

The Tom Wolfe books is good - I was hoping that Charlotte would show the beer-swilling, sex obsessed students of Dupont a better way, but I think she's either going to join them or take some sort of Colombine revenge

Charlotte Simmons

I bought it, mainly because it was so ubiquitous that I felt I almost had to (in self defense), but I haven't taken it out of the plastic yet. ;)

I've already read one really bad review, in the New York Times, I think.

I could still take it back and get the new Alice Munroe book!

:D

I buy almost all my books instead of visiting the local library. I do this for several reasons:-

1. I work 1 hour away from home and the library is normally closed by the time I get back from work.

2. I have a tendancy to reread books, so like to have a copy at home. It seems silly to keep borrowing the same book from the library.

3. I don't usually go out to get a certain book, but will look through the shelves when I'm out shopping and pick something that appeals to me. So it's usually a spur of the moment purchase.

4. The smell of libraries combined with the usual flourescent lighting gives me a headache and makes me feel slightly nauseas after 5 minutes, so I only run in to find a specific book, I cannot spend time browsing.

I know that this last point will seem bizarre to most people, but I have had this problem since childhood.

I usually only go to the library when someone has recommended a certain book (usually a literary novel or classic) which I am willing to try but think I may not like, or that I will not want to read more than once.

I feel that I must defend my local Library!

They take great care of me, fulfilling all my requests to (please) order new books. They have even gotten inter-library loans for books not in stock in their system. I get DVDs and Music CDs as well and they have a terrific collection. With a kid in Private School $$$ I just don't have the money to be throwing away on Hedonistic entertainment items.

:rolleyes: I love the library and I make frequent trips there but it is nice to purchase your own copies of books. :D They're great fun to collect too.

The main reason I don't use our public library here is because I'm so damned disorganised and forgetful, that I forget to take things back. Not only does that inevitably wind up in large fines and late fees and sometimes being charged the full price for the book (ouch!) but it's unfair on other folks - my chronic absent-mindedness shouldn't stop someone else in the queue from being able to enjoy something that I've forgotten I have. So it's much easier for me to just buy them.

Plus I'm a hoarder. I like having lots of books around me. And I like the thought that I can pick up a book whenever I fancy, and re-read my favourite passages from it, or in its entirity, from time to time.

The downside to all this though - small house (more of a shoebox than a house, really) and it's gettin' more and more crowded by the day... :D

I love the public library!

At any given time I have 10 - 20 books checked out from the library. There are several locations convenient to me and easy online reservations and renewals. You can even request an item you want the library to acquire (online, too). They e-mail me when by book is available for pick-up and I have never had a problem getting even the most popular book in a reasonable amount of time. I keep up on new releases, so I am able to reserve books just as they are being logged into the system and am often the very first person to borrow the brand new book!
The only downside is that sometimes a book has been lent to a heavy smoker and I cannot stand to even hold it much less read it. Also - sometimes they simply don't have the book I am looking for and I will then buy it. I buy a lot of books, too, but can't seem to get to them as quickly because I always feel I must finish my library books first. I love to read books, but I also like to give them away and lend them. I am not so attached to the things as to the feelings. I can always buy another! So many books ...

I want to own my books...

Though it's funny - I'm sure I'm not gonna read most of them again...
They'll probably end up stacked up on my shelves like my old video tapes or my endless CDs...!

I guess there'll be few I'll be interested in reading again, but that's not why I want to own them... When you read a book - it's never like watching a movie... You get attached to it... The imagination that surfaces when you read a book, makes you really develop something toward it...

At least, that's what I think...

I never borrow. I hate it. Mostly because I hate giving books back. Even if I never actually do read them again, Its nice to know I have the option. Plus it's nice to know that the book is mine, It makes it more personal. And seeing so many books together in my room gives me a sense of satisfaction, plus it makes me look smart when people see them.

I don't like the idea of borrowing books from anywhere or anyone. I love owning my own books, having them as long as I want... and I really do read things over and over again. Also, I can't read a book without writing in it anymore. I highlight, write in the margins, etc...

"Everyone regularly gets ideas. The only difference between writers and other people is that we take notes when it happens" - Neil Gaiman

Reasons I don't use the public library:

They never seem to have the books I want.

I would have to travel a mile into town, and then again when I have read the book (yes, I am lazy.)

I like to collect and own my books.

Library books are generally smelly, stained, dirty and have bent page corners - all the things I hate with books.

The library itself is a horrible, dark old place that does not exactly entice you inside with its open friendliness.

My library is staffed by people who do not know how to be polite or to smile. :rolleyes:

I should use the library though, as it would be a shame if they disappeared. Also, my reading range is pretty narrow because of cost - as books are fairly expensive, I usually only buy authors that I know already, or think I will like. The library would give me the chance to sample new authors, and if I liked them I could then buy the books for myself without too much risk. I know that I am just too fussy about the condition of my books though. :eek:

headpodd said:
Every single one of the libraries I have visited have not been appealing in terms of environment.
I would say that having a coffee shop and comfy chairs to encourage people to sit, relax, read and drink must be a win-win.

I would have to agree. The environment in a library is not nearly as warm and welcoming as a bookstore. For me, it's not the coffee but the asthetics....a book store is visually stimulating. You see books propped up on stands, displayed and organized in an appealing manner. Books stacked in a shelf more often than not, have books placed outwardly so the reader are easily enticed by a cover. Libraries are stacked with books that all look the same; they hardly scream, "look at me, look at me!" I know that libraries do make an effot to do book displays, but I think that maybe you would need to advertise your books a bit. Display not only new books but older ones that you wouldn't see in a bookstore. Part of the appeal of a library is that you have older books that you wouldn't find in a nice big bookstore. Show off those library books! They have as much to be proud of as any other book in a bookstore! :)

Ok I am confused. I have been reading the posts, and if I understand correctly, some of the libraries in Europe charge? for things like getting a book from another branch or reserving a book? I don't know how it is as a general rule throughout the United States; maybe I am just really lucky, but my library is huge and has just about any book you can imagine. If there is a book that you want but the library does not have, it can be ordered from another branch free of charge. I love to buy and collect books, but I cannot realistically buy every book I want to read. So I use the library all the time. And I think it would be a great idea to have a coffee shop or something in the library, or for the library to market their services more through the schools. It saddens me that kids today spend so little time reading. Wow I have bounced all over the place in this post.

I regard entering my local library, which I love to bits, in much the same way as going into a 2nd hand book store. I like diving in, having a rummage, and coming up with a gem, possibly saving a few quid in the process. I actually look forward to the day my books are due back - any excuse to go browsing bookshelves!

I guess my sentimental streak regarding owning books is very narrow compared to many BF'ers; I usually read a book and then pass it on as the chance I'll ever re-read it is microscopic.

I must confess some bias here as I'm a member of my library's book group and have got to know some of the librarians. As a profession, they're like anybody who has to provide an element of customer service in their work, some people are naturals, others haven't a clue. That's humankind for you.

I also have the advantage of living 10 minutes walk away plus the library is open late 2 evenings a week and all day on Saturday.

As for inviting commercial organisations in to provide coffee, my instinct screams this is all wrong. I find it nice to be in places in this world that aren't motivated by commercial concerns, increasingly rare in the modern world. I like the fact libraries are quiet, not something easy to maintain with a Costa in the corner.

In my case it is more like "what's wrong with me". I don't return library books or movie store dvd's in a timely mannor, so, I try not to borrow things.

Nothing is wrong with the public library. I don't like to use them very often because I have problems getting the book I want when I want it.

Karina42 said:
Ok I am confused. I have been reading the posts, and if I understand correctly, some of the libraries in Europe charge? for things like getting a book from another branch or reserving a book? I don't know how it is as a general rule throughout the United States; maybe I am just really lucky, but my library is huge and has just about any book you can imagine. If there is a book that you want but the library does not have, it can be ordered from another branch free of charge.

I stumbled across that, too. I never paid anything for the library.
It is quite small but I can order nearly everything I want online and pick it up a few days later. The staff knows me by name now and sometimes even comes and askes whether I would be interested in some new book they just got.
Just recently I asked for a book and the same day they send somebody to the book shop to buy it. ;)

Blimey, that's excellent service for you! :cool: If in doubt as to whether there is a charge for something in England, just take it as read that there is. :rolleyes: I don't know about reserving books, but I understand there is a small charge for requesting books from another library.

I personally love the library. It's the greatest feeling to be surrounded by so many choices and know that it's all available to me for no charge! I can't justify buying books since I am not a rereader. It'd be a big waste of money, not to mention the books that I do have sitting on my shelf keep sitting there unread because I keep going to the darn library! The only books I do buy now are art instruction/technique books or books on specific artists. When my child is born, however, it'll be different as I will have to start collecting picture books that they can read over and over again.

But back to the library...my branch is rather small, but the main city library is wonderful and totally worth the 30 minute drive to it. It's all online, so I can see if a book is in stock or not or see at which branch it's located. Our librarians are wonderful - they transfer between branches all the time and if a book isn't there at all, can ILL it at any time. I'm not so impatient that I can't wait a little bit for the phone call that the book I requested is in.

They try to keep the new book shelf pretty updated and I must say, I've never found a time where I'm just wandering the shelves thinking, "Sheesh! There's NOTHING here!" The library is one of my favorite places to go because it's got so much to offer!

I've always used and loved public libraries. As a kid, the library was heaven. Cool in summer and full of books. I always left with the maximum number you could borrow, and I still do. Even the one tiny library I visit always has something interesting to borrow. And if I read something I want to reread, usually I can just borrow it again. When my daughter was 2 I started letting her pick her own books to borrow. She was thrilled, so picking out the books became part of the fun of reading. :D We also re-borrowed several favorites over and over. She always uses her school library and the public one now, and always has a stack of books. Maybe other parents dont pass on a love of books and libraries to their kids. I'm sure glad Dad passed it on to me so I could do the same for Crystal. :)

Back