• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What's wrong with the public library?

Well, I love libraries. Really, really love them.

Librarians are helpful, and friendly, and do all they can to help.

If they haven't got the book, they buy it for you, only charging £1.

Lovely, lovely libraries:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I love interlibrary loan because I can choose any book and pay return postage only. :)
The thing I don't like is when ppl don't return books to the library. :mad:

Some books I buy and some I get at the library and I have no set rule on either. Most books nowadays I would rather get at the library for economical reasons plus I just own too many books and need to start getting rid of many. My bookcases are full and I also have boxes full in storage in my house.
I have nothing but good words to say about our library system which I consider to be one of the best. Off the top of my head......some of the things about our library system:

There is a limit of 75 books that can be checked out at one time.
No charge for books except those overdue have a per day charge. Most books if you have not finished reading when due can be renewed at no charge.The online catalog is great as you can browse the catalog, put a hold on a book and see when it is ready for pickup.

The library lists under my account all the books that I have checked out, when they are due back, all the books that I have placed a hold on, shows the status of those books on hold. it even shows when one of the books on hold are in transit to my "home" library from another in the system, we have 7 libraries in our system. It also permits me to request any book that is not in the system for them to purchase, I have never been turned down on any book I requested them to purchase.

The library also lists my complete reading/listening/watching history. I can access my record and see everything that I have at one time or the other borrowed from the library.......and best of all. I always have probably more than 6 items checked out at a given time and I have never been charged a penny.

BTW, I had a hold on the new Wheel Of Time book and have been checking to see where I was on the hold list. A couple days ago I was listed as 1 of 8 holds, keeping in mind that there are 8 books in the library system. Today I checked and see that the book is "In Transit" which means it will probably be ready for pickup on Monday.

Anyhow, I guess I am rambling some. I absolutely love our library.:)

Actually, I very seldom have more than 2 or 3 books checked out at a time. I frequently do have 20 or more CD's checked out at a time though.

I actually have a very small personal library. I love the library. And...the only types of books I have a hard time finding at the library are the inspirational Christian books. My library only tends to carry the very old ones, and none of the new releases. Anyways...I have no other problems with the library!

Astoryfan,

Your librarians would probably be interested to know about that gap in their collection! You might want to mention it at the reference desk next time you go there, and who knows, if their budget allows they might buy some, especially since they know that those books will be used and enjoyed!

Visited my old hometown and realized what an awesome library they have!. They refurbished the upstairs portion which houses their legal collection, as well as twenty computers where patrons can check e-mail or use other programs. The children's section is very spacious and in one corner, is chock-full of toys and books. They had smaller tables and chairs for kids, loaded with crayons and coloring papers and books. We spent the better part of our day at the library and everyone found something they enjoyed. While we were there, a lot of people came in and enjoyed it as we did. This library was so awesome, words just can't do it justice. Then we headed home and I realized the state of condition of the one we have at the town that we currnetly live in.:(

the thing that annoyed me at my school library today is that they have a lot of fiction/popular books on display, which makes finding a specific book so much harder. i like the idea when i'm browsing for nothing in particular.. but when i'm trying to find a specfic book, its tedious.

muggle said:
The library also lists my complete reading/listening/watching history. I can access my record and see everything that I have at one time or the other borrowed from the library.......
*That* is awesome. I would absolutely love it if my library would do that. I would like to keep a record of all the books I've borrowed just so that I can look over it once in a while when someone is asking for recommendations. I forget what I read until I either see it again or something jogs my memory and I think, 'that was a great book!' Likewise for books that I *don't* like.

Kookamoor said:
*That* is awesome. I would absolutely love it if my library would do that. I would like to keep a record of all the books I've borrowed just so that I can look over it once in a while when someone is asking for recommendations. I forget what I read until I either see it again or something jogs my memory and I think, 'that was a great book!' Likewise for books that I *don't* like.

That is a cool feature, but I wonder if others can access the same info..just call be paranoid :eek:

abecedarian said:
That is a cool feature, but I wonder if others can access the same info..just call be paranoid :eek:
Only if they have my password to access my account.

Of course I am sure our current Fed. Govt. Admininistration can access it. :mad:

The other thing I really like about our library is that they show the current status on books that I have requested. If it is not available they show when it is due back and even states if the book is "in transit" between another library and the one I use and always lists the dates for every step.

Because I found a tooth inside P.G.Wodehouse. Plus, ebay has fantastic prices. I'm selling all my books that are really children's novels and buying classics.

BenjaminDixon said:
Because I found a tooth inside P.G.Wodehouse. Plus, ebay has fantastic prices. I'm selling all my books that are really children's novels and buying classics.

You found a tooth inside a library book? :eek: Yuck. I don't think I want to know how THAT happened! That is NOT of God :rolleyes:

Just want you to know that I don't consider the libraries dead. At every library I have ever attended the librarian knew me by name and I have even maxed out my library card (31 books) and read them all in the three weeks. Now my problem is that the library is too small because I moved to a small town. The high schoool library has more books in it than the entire county library system. I am doing my best to make sure our small town library stays up and running and they are growing, just not fast enough for me.

manatherindrell said:
Just want you to know that I don't consider the libraries dead. At every library I have ever attended the librarian knew me by name and I have even maxed out my library card (31 books) and read them all in the three weeks. Now my problem is that the library is too small because I moved to a small town. The high schoool library has more books in it than the entire county library system. I am doing my best to make sure our small town library stays up and running and they are growing, just not fast enough for me.

Will they let you do interlibrary loans via your home computer? My state uses a database on Agent, and my interlibrary loan lady at the library down the road(I'm 2 miles from a small town) gave me the web address, and the code for our library. I search the system from home, send for what I want, and hopefully it arrives at the local library for me to pick up. The local library still has to do the work in the middle to approve and send on the request, but it save them the hassle of searching to see if the title I want is even available. All this is free I might add. If I went to the Wichita Public Library(they have website separate from the state's, but are included in the overall database), and sent for something from one of their branches, it would go to whatever branch I wanted, but they would charge .25 per title, whether I picked it up or not. I've been amazed at the stuff I could get here in the great American Outback. It might be worth asking your librarian. If you want I can send the link for the agent site so you can see what I mean.

BenjaminDixon said:
I'm selling all my books that are really children's novels and buying classics.
Don't be too quick to assume these are mutually exclusive categories! Good children's books are very re-readable in adulthood.
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe isn't one of my very favorites, but I've always loved the dedication:

"I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again..."

Minniemal said:
Don't be too quick to assume these are mutually exclusive categories! Good children's books are very re-readable in adulthood.
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe isn't one of my very favorites, but I've always loved the dedication:

"I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again..."

Yeah, I re-read Carry on Mr. Bowditch this year just because it is a wonderful book. One of the perks of being a homeschooling mom is I get to collect and read great books. Some that are classics, and some that just might be some day. I got just as much fun from reading Yonie Wondernose by Marguerite deAngeli to my kids as they did from hearing it for the first time. And don't get me started on Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin by Marguerite Henry..get rid of the fluff, but please consider keeping the good stuff.

Back