• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

When And Where Do You Read?

Martin

When and where do all of you read?

And no, don't say always and everywhere, but be a bit more specific, and try to explain why at that exact time and location, if at all possible.

I myself always read when I'm in the bus, traveling to and from college (simply to keep me from falling asleep; the gentle bobbing of the bus gets me every time if I don't have anything to do. It's about 30 miles, so that gives me 40 to 50 minutes to read). Also, as (I think) many people will recognise, I read just prior to going to sleep. The only downside of this is that it often delays the actual going-to-sleep for so long that I'll be exhausted come morning (and somehow, I always manage to blame not my addiction to reading, but my poor and abused alarmclock).

So, think about it and let me know.

Cheers, Martin :D

I mostly read whilst commuting to work, which is an hour either way. However, due to the ineptness of the London Underground this can sometimes be 2 hours+ either way. Reading here sometimes depends on the size of the book (it's hard to hold Harry Potter and the Order or the Phoenix with one hand whilst trying to balance) and how busy the tube is at that time.

Otherwise, I like to read in my bed before going to sleep or lying on my sofa over the weekend, especially during the winter when there is nothing better than the sofa, a cup of coffee and a good book.

Unlike some people I hate to read in the bath, as I find it gets too hot and uncomfortable in there.

Mxx

Sheesh, How To Kill A Thread!

No honestly, I didn't know this topic had been covered already. However, that doesn't mean we can never ever talk about this subject ever again, does it?

It's not that I'm dying to know who reads when and where, it was just that I was trying to get some chitchat going on this board.

Ah well...

well, i read whenever i get a chance. it depends on the book also. If i really like the book i'll read for hours on end. Usually before i go to bed.

Lokeo13 said:
Usually before i go to bed.
murphyz said:
I like to read in my bed before going to sleep
I myself said:
I read just prior to going to sleep
What is it with reading before going to sleep. I mean, almost everybody I know who likes to read reads before going to sleep. Why before sleep, and not, say, before dinner or something. Makes me wonder.

murphyz said:
Unlike some people I hate to read in the bath
I don't have a bathtub at home, so I can't give you an opinion on that, although I think I wouldn't like it (I'm just to damn afraid to get my precious books wet). Can't recommend reading under the shower either (no matter how much foil you wrap around your book).

I think so many people read before bed because it doesn't really take time out of your day. If you either read or sleep it doesn't seem to use daylight. I think reading is also calming after a long day.

Very true, that bit about reading calming people down. No stress, no worries, no hassles, no deadlines, no bosses, no dishes, just you and the fictional world you happen to be in at that moment.

Very very true.

I've been having PC problems of late and can't fathom out why. When I got so frustrated I was ready to smash the PC into pieces or break down and cry, I went and read a book - totally relaxed within minutes.

It must be because it maintains your concentration and puts your thoughts into a steady pace.

Mxx

Edit: I assume the moderators of this board will have the ability to merge topics so, should having a seperate thread be an issue, they will simply add these posts to the end of the existing thread?

OK, I'm going to be original, like always.:D My favourite time for reading is early morning. I suppose that's because my attention and concentration work best at this time. Thus, morning is also my best time for studying.

I'm also used to reading in train, while going to the university. But it's not that I regard a carriage as a good and comfortable place to read (other passangers chats are often annoyingly disruptive) - it's just a way to kill boredom.

Re: Sheesh, How To Kill A Thread!

Originally posted by Martin
No honestly, I didn't know this topic had been covered already. However, that doesn't mean we can never ever talk about this subject ever again, does it?

No, it doesn't. I just posted it because you might find it interesting. And if you don't, then so be it.

Reply to lies:

lies said:
I just posted it because you might find it interesting. And if you don't, then so be it.
I know, I was being sarcastic. I didn't intend to sound that agitated, simply because I wasn't. I apologise if I offended you in any way.

Reply to Idun:

Idun said:
I'm going to be original, like always. My favourite time for reading is early morning.
Hate to dissappoint you, but you're not completely original. As I said, I also read in the bus to and from college, and that is usually quite early in the morning.

Idun said:
But it's not that I regard a carriage as a good and comfortable place to read (other passangers chats are often annoyingly disruptive)
I actually love reading in public transport, I think because of the gentle bobbing. It relaxes me, as does the reading. This means I'm dubble-relaxed in the bus.

Reply to murphyz:

murphyz said:
I went and read a book - totally relaxed within minutes.
That right there, my dear bookloving friends, is the beauty and power of reading. We sure picked a nice hobby, didn't we?!

To Martin

I am SO disappointed... How will I bear it?:D

Anyway, you are really lucky that you always (or usually) go to the college in the morning. My classes usually start in the afternoon, or at about ten o'clock - which is a nuisance. I wish I had your schedule.:D

As for bobbing, it makes me sleepy...Which is not a suitable state for reading something ambitious, regrettably.

Oddly enough, I do most of my reading at work. It doesn't interfere with my job, and it keeps people from talking to me (not that I am anti-social). But, I rarely go anywhere without a book, so I am apt to read almost anytime. For instance, if I am treating myself to a good diner breakfast, I like to have a book in front of me.
I also read before falling asleep. I never thought it odd, though, because I even read the ingredients on the shampoo bottle when I am taking a shower because that is what is in there to read. I think it's one of the warning signs of print addiction.

Wow, funes, that is a bit extreme, don't you think.

And by the way, Idun, I wish I had your schedule, as I hate getting up early. Reading is the only thing that'll keep me up at that point.

I read when I sit on the sofa and in the bed as well. I take it with me everywhere to work, to my other family's house, pub and holiday as well.
Before I was on the bus, it was pleasure to read books but not now, I am driving in my own car!!

I never thought it odd, though, because I even read the ingredients on the shampoo bottle when I am taking a shower because that is what is in there to read. I think it's one of the warning signs of print addiction.

I know I'm a bit late responding to this but, like, wow, funes! I'm exactly the same! Do you think they're a support group out there for us?

I must say I'm curious about what you do that you can read while at work.

Dawn,
First let me say that I hope there isn't a support group out there. I don't really care to be cured of this addiction.
In any event, without going in to a lengthy explanation, I am sort of in the antique business. Curiously enough, I find that I can really concentrate on my book when I have the auctioneer's "chant" for "background noise".

niceness

I cannot fathom how people manage to read while moving (ie, in a car, bus, train, or even a plane!). I become very nauseated when I attempt to read on buses and in cars while traveling long distances. :( A curse because a lot of the time I am bored out of my mind (that, or wishing to avoid doing actual work and make conversation with uninteresting people) and can't do a thing to remedy the situation unless I borrow someone's headphones and a good CD or two. Still..I hate being rude.

Usually though I manage to catch quite a few good reading hours either at home or at the library. I try to find a deserted corner and get comfortable. At home, I usually read in bed or while I'm cooking (no wonder all the meals I attempt to make are "very well done" lol).

Ah well.. All is good. Books are nice. Reading is nice. Not great on the eyes when I'm half dead at 2AM, but still nice.

I've never tried reading while taking a bath. Though I enjoy bubble baths I dont think I'll be taking a book in there. lol I guess I'm paranoid of dropping it in the water.

I'm a nerd 0_0

Back