• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Where to start with Discworld?

DK-Y2Y

Hello guys,

I found a shelf with Discworld novels in my school library. I borrowed the part called ''Feet of Clay'' but I did not really like it. I felt it had not a good story.

Basically, all I ask is where should I start with the series?

I don't think it really matters since they don't really have a connecting plot.

I enjoyed Jingo.

I started with Thief of Time and liked it enough to continue with the series. Just don't pick up The Last Continent. That was the only Discworld book I didn't like. And from what I've read, the first two books aren't that great.

I started to read The Colour of Magic, then stopped.
Then much later I read book 20, Hogfather. That was a good book.
Then I restarted Colour of Magic and finished it. This book was so so, but it served as a good reference.
Later I read Book 28, The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents. I enjoyed this one too.

Looking back, you really do not need to read the first book. But it does help at few times as a nice reference.

When I was younger I started with Mort and Reaper Man which are among my more favourite Discworld books, and tried to read in order generally. I actually read the first few books much later on, though I really enjoyed them.

Whilst they don't need to be read in order, having since read them in order (or in the process of doing so going forward) I'd say it definitely has its advantages.

I actually didn't care too much for Feet of Clay myself if I recall - it was okay, but not one of the stronger Discworld books.

I'd start ether at the beginning or with ‘Reaper Man.' if you don't like that one, then you won't like Diskworld in general IMO.

I bought and read them all ,in order, at release time, as they were published… yes I know, I’m old.

Just don't pick up The Last Continent. That was the only Discworld book I didn't like.
That was the only one I didn't finish!
I keep meaning to read it through some time though, just to see (decipher) what the whole story was.

I keep meaning to read it through some time though, just to see (decipher) what the whole story was.

It's just ok. Not a strong book, some amusing moments, but definitely not among the better Discworld novels for sure.

I'd start ether at the beginning or with ‘Reaper Man.' if you don't like that one, then you won't like Diskworld in general IMO.

I bought and read them all ,in order, at release time, as they were published… yes I know, I’m old.

I never liked Rincewind. The other wizards are better characters IMO.

In retrospect, he hasn't turned out to be the strongest of characters certainly.

Back