• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which book set you off on a life of crime (reading)?

My first crime novel was also one by Ian Rankin. Was a long time ago so I can't remeber the title but I do own all of this books except the latest one. I just love Inspector Rebus.

A hundred years ago, when I was a young child, I was given Donna Parker at Cherrydale. I was probably about seven. I then stumbled across a collection of Nancy Drews at my sister-in-law's house and started reading them.

I cannot remember first crime story I ever read, but as long as I can recall I have wanted to be an investigator, which I in fact was for 25 years. Retired now though. I do remember reading Sherlock Holmes and Hardy Boys when I was very young, so perhaps these were the stories which began my interest in mysteries.

Probably Nancy Drew. My sister gave me a supermystery for christmas when I was about 9 ish. Eased me right into baby crime reading.

Yup, Nancy Drew is the culprit for me too, started on them early, 8 or 9 years old, read scads of them. I wish I still had those books, if only for nostalgia's sake.

Go to pretty much any used book store, ebay or a library sale... you can usually get a few for $1 or $2 each

That's true, I know. But it wouldn't be the copies my Mother bought for me as a child. :blush: That is the only reason I'd want them...that part of nostalgia.

What did you do with those? The blue and gold ones are still out there... they tend to be a little more expensive but you're right they won't be the exact copies you had.

What did you do with those? The blue and gold ones are still out there... they tend to be a little more expensive but you're right they won't be the exact copies you had.

In a fit of misguided childhood generosity I gave the set to a distant cousin. I say misguided because I found out later, much later, too late to do anything about it, that said cousin didn't care for them. This even though said cousin seemed to very much want them. /sigh/ Oh well, lesson learned.

At that stage of my life, I didn't realize what a rereader I was.

I'm a rereader, too. And I've passed the trait onto my son...
I've gone back many times to books I've read as a child and enjoyed them again as an adult....like the Nancy Drews...the Hidden Cove...and all the Victoria Holts that I read as a teenager. Good stuff.

Back