• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which e-reader do you own?

Which e-reader do you own?

• Total voters
writing in books was a huge no-no when I was at school. HUGE! (all those years ago) I guess it was a hold over attitude from post war time austerity kind of thing? All my teachers were kind of older, so it is a distinct possibility. We were taught to respect books.

Since then I have found it useful when studying and taking notes from texts etc to mark things so that I can track thoughts - stickies are OK but I will still highlight an important passage.

I have a Nook Color but if I had it to do all over again, I'd go for the Kindle. There are many interesting references to things online that can be downloaded to a Kindle but I don't think I have ever seen one that says "Can be downloaded to your Nook" I like the way my Nook works - though it is a bit too heavy. I just think you have more options on the Kindle.

I have an allergy to anything that demands you use their product and related products exclusively. You can't read 'outside' books on a Kindle, of which I have quite a few thanks to dedicated readers who have gone to the trouble of scanning and creating digital copies of older works not otherwise available in digital format. Publishers have a HUGE backlog of older books that are not in print, not for sale, and not available to catch up with.

I am quite happy with my Kindle and don't have a problem in dealing with only Amazon and I find it great that I can have the book I want within minutes of buying it. If I wanted older books, and that is rarely, I can get them at the library in print. Sometimes it's kind of a nice break to read a printed book as long as it's not too heavy to hold and the print isn't tiny. With our library system, if the local branch doesn't have it and none of the other branches do, I can put in a request to either Oakville or Hamilton libraries (neigbouring cities) through our library branch. I managed to get a really old book from the Oakville library which they had stored in their dungeon. :)

Unfortunately my library isn't very efficient or big and I exhausted the books in it years ago. I love my reader passionately as it has opened up access to a world of books again. I went in again a few weeks ago in the hope that in the few years I was absent from it, that it would have got new books in, to my horror there were actually LESS books!

I am quite happy with my Kindle and don't have a problem in dealing with only Amazon and I find it great that I can have the book I want within minutes of buying it. If I wanted older books, and that is rarely, I can get them at the library in print. Sometimes it's kind of a nice break to read a printed book as long as it's not too heavy to hold and the print isn't tiny. With our library system, if the local branch doesn't have it and none of the other branches do, I can put in a request to either Oakville or Hamilton libraries (neigbouring cities) through our library branch. I managed to get a really old book from the Oakville library which they had stored in their dungeon. :)

Unfortunately not all libraries work like this.

I have an allergy to anything that demands you use their product and related products exclusively. You can't read 'outside' books on a Kindle, of which I have quite a few thanks to dedicated readers who have gone to the trouble of scanning and creating digital copies of older works not otherwise available in digital format. Publishers have a HUGE backlog of older books that are not in print, not for sale, and not available to catch up with.

Calibre.

Have you tried printing them as pdf and loading them that way?

uh like I said .. couldn't be bothered :) I caved and downloaded the kindle app for PC mostly to read my sisters books (I won't we have different tastes in the extreme but that was the idea any way)

seeing as how the battery in my faithful sony - poor thing has given me nearly 5 years hard service - is now starting to die. I am, as of this am, (and however long the post takes) the proud owner of new Nook.

Although you can replace the batteries they aren't cheap ie a new battery (ignoring the hassle to DIY) is just about the same price as a new reader

Didn't recognize you Meadow with your new Avatar. Thought I was missing a couple of posts.

I end up reading a lot on Kindle on my iPad/iPhone. Enough that I'm considering getting a "real" kindle, especially for reading in bed.

I end up reading a lot on Kindle on my iPad/iPhone. Enough that I'm considering getting a "real" kindle, especially for reading in bed.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it - I have a Kindle but have been looking at the Kindle Fire (just looking) and it has more features than the basic Kindle but as long as this one works I'll stay with it (and just kind of yearn for the other. :rolleyes: )

And, by the way, welcome to BAR - hope you enjoy the forum.

I have something called an Alirutek Libre lol. It was carried by Borders (before they went under), and I got it because I was working in one of the stores at the time.
I actually really like it; it's compatible with sony and google ebooks, although I mostly use Project Gutenberg. Its battery life isn't so hot these days though. I'd like to have a Kindle Fire eventually.

after having the nook for a bit I'm not liking it so much. I don't like that it ignores all the metadata I spent hours putting in on Calibre. I don't like the search function. I don't like that it doesn't have a list of current bookmarks (or if it idoes I can't find it). I often have more than one book on the go at once and using a list of bookmarks to keep track is useful. Next time I need a reader .... being able to read metadata is going to be tops on the list!

Back