• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which e-reader do you own?

Which e-reader do you own?

• Total voters
Shouldn't the Paperwhite allow tapping to turn pages instead of just swiping? Swiping is no fun. I read lots on my Galaxy S3, and while the swiping is sexy and cool, it gets old (and very tiring) after about 5 minutes. So thank goodness all my ebook/comics reading apps all allow tapping to move through pages....

tapping better than swiping but still painful IMO. Give me a regular old button please.

Shouldn't the Paperwhite allow tapping to turn pages instead of just swiping? Swiping is no fun. I read lots on my Galaxy S3, and while the swiping is sexy and cool, it gets old (and very tiring) after about 5 minutes. So thank goodness all my ebook/comics reading apps all allow tapping to move through pages....

I tap away on my Paperwhite, never any swiping.
I don't miss buttons.

Nope I want buttons, at least an up / down or foward / back on both sides or comfortably on the bottom (don't mind which) and it MUST absolutely MUST read and sort books according to the meta-data, preferably by title, author and series.

I have a tablet. Do not like reading on it. Paperwhite / dedicated e-reader only way to go for extensive reading.

It's ok for reading in the dark with the backlit screen but in the day time the colour screen is not so great. I don't think I would even buy a colour e-reader for the same reason, although I would consider one with back lighting.

Hmm must be our eyes. I like the lighted background of the Ipad. I can see it fine and it keeps me focused.
I read lots on a lot of devices, and I have to say reading on backlit screens is tough on the eyes. I still do it though because I have lots of .epubs and .mobis hanging around.

Aaaaand speaking of PaperWhites....

ai.imgur.com_HpGYuS0.jpg

Thanks, it's very nice indeed. The page transitions needs a little getting used to, but it's really nice to look at.

Creeping up on a Fire, but very reluctant to put aside my old original Kindle (B/W, and with the ads).

Er, I'm going to assume you want my impressions, Sparky? Because I see the picture attachment is still there in the post and hasn't yet gone to Photobucket hell.

The Kindle is very nice. The page transitions needed getting a little used to, but nothing major. I dislike the way it handles PDFs, because it doesn't reflow, so a lot of my PDF docs and even novels isn't formatted properly for reading, lots of scrolling.

Speaking of scrolling, since I'm used to the instantaneous response from other touch devices, it's a little slow. It and the typing plods along.

I use a VPN to pretend I'm in the States to buy stuff from the Kindle Store. And my first purchase is Neal Stephenson's Reamde @ 2.99! Wowsers, such a monster of a book in such a tiny device!

Now the reading. Brilliant, and I'm not talking about the glow from the screen. My mobis are brilliant, and my old lits, converted to mobis, are also great. I'm currently in the middle of Cory Doctorow's For The Win, having finished a re-read of Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest. The annotations and instant definition lookups work well too.

In conclusion, happy happy.

Back