• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which e-reader do you own?

Which e-reader do you own?

• Total voters
Not sparklicious but I will interject anyway.

Battery life is less, storage is lower, fonts are a wash and I really miss the page change button on both sides of the device.

In my ever so humble opinion the built in light, smaller size and the available case (which is brilliant) erases all of that when compared to the keyboard version. It actually fits in my hip pocket with the case installed.

I've a Paperwhite. Battery lasts for about two-three weeks, it's marketed as lasting for a month or more but it obviously depends on how much you use it.

Font is fine for me, it allows you to enlarge and change it but I don't do that.

I chose to get one that's for reading only as I've no desire whatever to watch videos or browse the web on it, or play games for that matter.

I've a Paperwhite. Battery lasts for about two-three weeks, it's marketed as lasting for a month or more but it obviously depends on how much you use it.

Font is fine for me, it allows you to enlarge and change it but I don't do that.

I chose to get one that's for reading only as I've no desire whatever to watch videos or browse the web on it, or play games for that matter.
Is that battery life with the wifi turned on all the time or off? With my old Kobo, there was a huge difference, so I just kept the wifi off and turned it on the few times I wanted to check the store.

Having read how much pleasure members are getting out of their ebooks, I gave it three days thought and finally decided to give the medium a try. So I trawled through the net, read all the reviews and have placed an order for the Hudl.
It has greater memory than Kindle and costs less too, I am getting mine delivered FREE and the asking price was £106:00.
Once it arrives I will follow up with a review.

Hope you enjoy it. I still collect and read paper books but find an ereader invaluable for its portability. I also like being able to load up and bring many books along on trips rather than trying to choose just a couple because of space limitations.

The holiday option is he one I will be pursuing.
I will not get rid of any of the books I own but will use Hudl in Fuerteventura

Having read how much pleasure members are getting out of their ebooks, I gave it three days thought and finally decided to give the medium a try. So I trawled through the net, read all the reviews and have placed an order for the Hudl.
It has greater memory than Kindle and costs less too, I am getting mine delivered FREE and the asking price was £106:00.

It's a good deal for a tablet, gotta love Tesco.

I am currently experiencing a reader for the first time. A coworker lent me her Kindle in order to read a book she has on it. I must say that though this is an older model it is quite enjoyable to use. I don't know how to operate all the controls but I know enough to navigate the book I am reading on it and fully appreciate its ease of use. I like the pull out LED light which allows one to read in bed with the room lights off though this particular model does not adequately distribute the light evenly over the entire screen. I am told that the newer models have a back-lit screen which, I am sure, will correct this problem.

My concerns regarding the purchase of one are: One, if the device stops working, is lost or stolen I would lose all the content, and Two, in keeping with what seems to be a tradition in electronic marketing as the transfer standards change the unit may be forced into obsolescence making further use impossible. (Vinyl, 8track, cassettes, CDs, iTunes - with each iteration you'd have to buy a whole new library.)

I am currently experiencing a reader for the first time. A coworker lent me her Kindle in order to read a book she has on it. I must say that though this is an older model it is quite enjoyable to use. I don't know how to operate all the controls but I know enough to navigate the book I am reading on it and fully appreciate its ease of use. I like the pull out LED light which allows one to read in bed with the room lights off though this particular model does not adequately distribute the light evenly over the entire screen. I am told that the newer models have a back-lit screen which, I am sure, will correct this problem.

The Kindle Paperwhite has a side-lit screen and still uses the E Ink technology, so no back-lit LCDs there. I think B&N has a Nook model that is the same.

My concerns regarding the purchase of one are: One, if the device stops working, is lost or stolen I would lose all the content,

At least with the Kindle, your books are stored on Amazon's data banks. You can add and delete them at will to any registered device (from said device, no need to have a PC). I do believe you are limited as to the number of registered devices you can have, five if memory serves. I would be surprised if the competitors do not have a similar procedure.

and Two, in keeping with what seems to be a tradition in electronic marketing as the transfer standards change the unit may be forced into obsolescence making further use impossible. (Vinyl, 8track, cassettes, CDs, iTunes - with each iteration you'd have to buy a whole new library.)

Always a possibility. I do not consider any electronic device a permanent replacement for a physical library. But then I am old, and contrary.

in keeping with what seems to be a tradition in electronic marketing as the transfer standards change the unit may be forced into obsolescence making further use impossible. (Vinyl, 8track, cassettes, CDs, iTunes - with each iteration you'd have to buy a whole new library.)

Vinyl has not become obsolete Dato, new factories for he pressing of LP's is on the increase, I love my Project turntable.

So I trawled through the net, read all the reviews and have placed an order for the Hudl.
Once it arrives I will follow up with a review.

Looking forward to it. I don't have an eBook yet, but you seem to purchase only after properly looking into the subject and would love to know how you get on with the Hudl.

Vinyl has not become obsolete Dato, new factories for he pressing of LP's is on the increase, I love my Project turntable.

Even cassette tapes are enjoying a bit of a resurgence. Admittedly it is mainly within the hipster music communities but it's still getting by.

I do not consider any electronic device a permanent replacement for a physical library. But then I am old, and contrary.

internet-bro-fist.jpg

The Hudl arrived this morning and it has been charged.
It has a colour swipe type screen and is very user friendly.
I have put several books on it and am ready to start reading.
I still will keep my paper books, but as so many free eBooks are now available I am sure the Hudl will soon have paid for itself.
Recommended

The Hudl arrived this morning and it has been charged.
It has a colour swipe type screen and is very user friendly.
I have put several books on it and am ready to start reading.
I still will keep my paper books, but as so many free eBooks are now available I am sure the Hudl will soon have paid for itself.
Recommended

If I get one, could you put the books on for me? I'm rubbish at stuff like that.
Would it have to be the same make, or can I choose what I want and you can still load it for me?

I still prefer real books, but I do read books on my first-gen iPad and my bare-bones Kindle. I had a first-gen Nook, but gave it to my brother-in-law. The one thing I really dislike about the Kindle is the size. It makes the book feel like a mass-market paperback, and I prefer the page to be more the size of a quality paperback or hardcover. I wish Amazon would update the Kindle DX. Or is there a good larger-format e-reader our there? The Onyx Boox looks good, but at $300+, I don't think so.

Back