1. Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which magazines do you read?

Discussion in 'Magazines and Newspapers' started by Darren, May 12, 2002.

1. Robert

Robert Active Member

Currently Reading:
    The Odyssey by Homer
    I was reading Proceedings (U. S. Naval Institute), Surface Warfare Magazine and US News & World Reports.

Now the only magazines I read with any regularity are Ultimate Motorcycling and Cycle World.

2. canuck

canuck Active Member

Currently Reading:
    Night Soldiers - Alan Furst
    Hello Robert: Our magazines sound pretty ordinary and maybe foreign compared to what you read. We get a magazine called "Up Here" which is a Northwest Territories publication all about life in the NWT. Our son and family live in Yellowknife, Canada which is in the NWT and we like to keep up with what's happening there. Also, Hobby Farms as hubby was brought up on a hobby farm and likes to see what other people do. He would have liked to have had a small country property but that never happened for which I am really grateful as I was a city gal with no knowledge of country living. He contents himself with his fairly big garden and already has tomato seedlings started in the basement under the fluorescent light - we also have lots of flowers in the summertime. So any publications we are liable to have deal with 'on land' type of things.

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

Currently Reading:
    The Odyssey by Homer
    That doesn't sound ordinary at all, canuck. Your reading should follow where your interests lie. Proceedings and Surface Warfare magine were professional publications. You picking up that NWT publication isn't any different than me picking up Virginia Wine Lover magazine.

4. Peder

Peder Well-Known Member

I hope you meant "subscribe" as well as "read." My experience with reading magazines is abysmal; they accumulate a lot faster than I look at them. But anyway:

subscriptions:
    Paris Review
    Rain Taxi
    Poetry
    Bookforum
    NY Times online (yes, I pay for it monthly)

individually:
    NY Times, every so often for book review section
    Scientific American, once every blue moon for a specific topic

5. SFG75

SFG75 Well-Known Member

Currently Reading:
    The Road to Character; David Brooks
    The NY Times is excellent. I loved David Stockman's op-ed this past weekend. I gave the Financial Times(U.S. version) a shot this past weekend, wasn't very impressed.

6. Bullyboy

Bullyboy Member

Subscribe to Time, Esquire, Vanity Fair, Smithsonian, National Geographic, Bark (for dog lovers) and GQ, there's also a magazine called Mental Floss, don't subscribe but always read...loaded with nerdy trivia. The New York Times magazine and New York...actually I'll read just about any magazine...Rolling Stone or People for lack of anything else. Time however has gotten a bit fluffy over the years.

SFG75 likes this.
  7. SFG75

SFG75 Well-Known Member

Currently Reading:
    The Road to Character; David Brooks
    Thanks for your post Bully, way to bring up a good thread. I checked out the London Evening Times and wasn't impressed, I do love The Spectator though. Always looking for good reads.

8. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory Active Member

Currently Reading:
    the writing on the wall
    Well, I read this month's issue of GQ. Aauooooooo:D

I admit I go through the "mom" magazines - Ladies' Home Journal, Good Housekeeping, AllYou, Womens' Day - which is kind of silly b/c I don't have kids, but I like reading the recipes & self-help articles. I used to have subscriptions to Glamour and Cosmo but at some point reading them just started to make me depressed.
    I read Time now and then although Bullyboy's right, it's gotten really watered down.

9. Gerwinnen Flecklecks

Gerwinnen Flecklecks Member

Currently Reading:
    Classic Rock Nachtausgabe
    I read Classic Rock magazine.
    Also Prog magazine.
    There are still genuine artists out there producing proper music.

10. Cosimah2o

Cosimah2o Active Member

Currently Reading:
    non-fiction books
    BSGF + Géologues
    La Houille Blanche - Revue Internationale de l'Eau
    Le Règne Minéral , Fossiles
    Géosciences + Géorama (( BRGM ))

11. Prescott

Prescott New Member

I don't subscribe to any but I follow the websites of several: Granta, TPR, LRB, Vogue, GQ, Esquire, New Yorker, Bazaar. I follow most of those as much as I can without a subscription. The only one I regularly pick up in a market is Vogue.

12. Danny_Smith

Danny_Smith New Member

Currently Reading:
    Last Painting of Sara de Vos
    The online Paste Magazine which is good though I do not recommend their book section and AARP which I used to think was junk, but now that I am closer to retirement, I am enjoying the magazine much more. Otherwise, there is so much free content on the Internet, why bother.