• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

who has seen a good movie lately

Who says she can't. Maybe she's just making conversation. If I was to say, this thread is not much like the one about Harry Potter, would that be cause for comment?

I saw some movies that sucked.

LIttle Miss Sunshine: Remember the '4:30 Afterschool Movie"? No, worse that that, because there was no real pathos. It just sucked. Was there one thing in that flick that was not totally predictable? The screenplay writer should have all his pencils taken away.

The Departed: ruined by Jack Nicholson being a big egoist splattered all over the thing. Ruined by sentimentality. And they forced Mark Wahlberg to act like an asshole. Not good.

Can't think of any others. Rented Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 from the library about a month ago. Educating my kid about filthy 70s movies. He thinks it all revolves around Hackman. Anyway, the Pelham music is awesome.

LIttle Miss Sunshine: Remember the '4:30 Afterschool Movie"? No, worse that that, because there was no real pathos. It just sucked. Was there one thing in that flick that was not totally predictable? The screenplay writer should have all his pencils taken away.

I saw that. I quite liked it. Was expecting to hate it though, from what I'd read. It made me giggle.

I saw Road to Perdition the other day, which did not suck as much as I expected it to. Yesterday I watched Gangs of New York, which was pretty dire, but I did like the Cutter bloke's glass eye. If I ever get a glass eye, I'm going to have them make the iris lots of coloured circles. Like off the the front of the The Music's first album. Like this - http://www.themusic.co.uk/go/music/the_music/

Music and Lyrics is quite a decent feel-good, keeps a smile on your face movie. Plus a good thump at the music industry.

The Accused with Jodie Foster. She really pulled off a dynamite performance.

I couldn't agree more!!!

The last movie I saw was Happy Feet. I enjoyed it because the penguins were cute, the music fun, and the tap dancing entertaining. My husband, on the other hand, hated it for the choppy plot, flagrant propaganda, and incoherent storyline. What can I say... I'm easily entertained.

I'm on a gritty 70s bender.

While it's not the classic 70s crime show, I really enjoyed watching The Boys from Brazil last night. I never before noticed how cool Jerry Goldsmith's music for that is. And though Gregory Peck is the antithesis of the gritty 70s genre, watching Steve Gutenberg run around with his transistor radio, being chased by the classic foreign thugs. And then you've got weird Jeremy Black with all his 70s slang.

As part of my own personal film festival, I also recently saw Taking of Pelham 1-2-3, which is great just for the score alone. Chewy jazz with a lot of bumps and grinds.

French Connection and FCII. FCII is harrowing. Full of bad drugs and ugly language. Makes Marseilles look like a sewer.

The Seven-Ups, which I think of as the Lesser FC.

I'm warming up for Death Wish. I only like No. 1, cause I like the NYC shots. You can't do gritty in California. Comes out like a TV movie.

Also on my Gritty 70s Film Festival list is Prime Cut, which I've never seen! Have to track that one down.

I did a little Marathon Man a short time ago, but that is hard to watch. I only really like Roy Scheider in it, and the lady on the diamond block yelling ZELL!

I'm not crazy about Serpico. Personally, I hate the character. Don't know if I hate the real Serpico, but he certainly was a figure of scorn in my childhood. Plus, Pacino plays him like a drip, schlumping around in that stupid hat. So not planning to include that. Gets the boot.

Klute is up in the air. It's kind of hammy and not that gritty. Plus, it shares one of the major flaws of Three Days of the Condor, which is that they shove all the lovey dovey stuff in your face to break up the good bits.

Prime Cut is a great Lee Marvin flick. In it you will also get to see Sissy Spacek make her movie debut in her birthday suit. Seven Ups has a great car chase in it. You should check out Point Blank, if you haven't seen that one, though I'm guessing you probably have.

I watched The Invisible when Vesp and vry and I went out for vry's birthday. It was really, really good--now on my list of favorite movies. I was expecting to enjoy it but I was surprised by how good it was.

I watched The Invisible when Vesp and vry and I went out for vry's birthday. It was really, really good--now on my list of favorite movies. I was expecting to enjoy it but I was surprised by how good it was.

Oooh, I'm really looking forward to seeing this one. And just to go completely off-topic and turn this into a 'movies I'm dying to see' thread, I'm off to Spiderman 3 tonight (yay!), and I'll be first in line when The Host comes to a local cinema.

The Invisible sucked, and Spider-Man 3 was good and bad at the same time.

I don't know why...but, but, but, like, so many cheesy parts in SM3balanced out well with so many awesome parts. I think it was the whole "let's throw five plotlines in and mesh them into one so as to where we can't properly bring out the emotions like we did in the first two films," thing. However, SM3 does deserve it's blockbuster success. Go see it.

But not The Invisble. That sucked. Wait for it to come to the dollar show.

And I want to see The Host but...but, damn it, why isn't it at amc?

Back