• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who here eats organic?

Prairie_Girl

Who here eats organic? To what extent? Why? What got you started?

We eat probably 75% organic. Because it's better for us and the planet. Also, I buy a lot of locally grown/raised meat and produce because I really like supporting local farmers. The organic store I buy from gives 70% back to the farmer and keeps 30%. What do you buy organic?

I have been trying to convince my family to go at least partially organic...with little success. They just don't see the point of paying more to keep healthier. :rolleyes:

I buy organic. I dont eat meat very often but when i do i try and have organic. And all my veg too. Im not sure its worth it though. I read somewhere and have been told by a good source that organic may be more harmful too you than food treated with chemicals.....

I eat organic chocolate because it's nice. But then I eat non-organic chocolate for the same reason.

I have a thing for organic soy milk in my coffee. I also enjoy some of the breads that are available. Other than those things, we don't do organic. I have a thing for trans-fats and processed food.:D I just wish the prices would come down from the stratosphere.:eek:

My daughter eats only organic baby food and we try to keep the table food she eats organic as well (although with a few excecptions we never know at resturants). Her snacks (like cereal, puffed veggies and dried fruit are all organic as well. The cost difference is obvious, but we think it is worthwhile to give her the best start we can.

My dog has recently been switched off of science diet to an organic dog food. Although she is really pissed about it (even though we made a gradual switch), we think it is totally worthwhile. The cost difference is not significant, our vet approves and the allergy symptoms she has shown for years seem to be clearing up.

As far as adult food goes, we do our best. Our garden is organic and will be fertilized with compost we've made ourselves. As far as other produce goes, I try my best to get as much organic as possible, but I also feel strongly about supporting local farmers. So, I shop at Farmers Markets whenever possible and get what I can. I also get a lot at our food co-op, which is all organic. I only buy organic meat and dairy (except for my husband's disgusting addiction to Breyer's Chocolate Chip Ice Cream).

For those who don't buy organic and would like to start, here is a list in order of the most important changes to make (or at least so I've been told):

OK..I can't find it and need to get to work. Will post it later!

I eat Burger King and Taco Bell and every other fast food with a lil'bit'a'dis and a lil'bit'a'dat on the side, also eating Sushi and any other foreign food along with steaks and salads and buffalo wings (oh sweet Jesus the buffalo wings), and occasionally I eat candy and drink stuff.

But you know what?

I also run and work out and still seem to be in mighty fine shape. My abs are still there, my legs and arms are still fine, and I don't notice my stamina crashing in on me while playing in gym or just running around with friends. It's not about ze food you zilly folks. IT'S ABOUT DA GODA DAYUM PREFERENCES.

Most of my groceries consist of organic products.
Around here in the midwest, you'd think that organics would be easy to get, but it's not. They're almost nonexistent and when you can find them, they are outrageously priced. It sucks.

I have never been able to afford to eat organic. But, I eat "fresh". Rarely buy anything processed. I try to make everything from scratch. I don't ever drink soda and I never eat fast food - don't like it. I rarely buy/cook red meat. My family pretty much does the same since I guess, me being the mom, I kinda set the tone.

I'm also a certified chef so I know that you don't have to eat "organic" and spend all that money to be healthy. Co-ops are nice though. I prefer to shop at Farmer's Market than Supermarket. There's just so many ways to eat healthy without going organic.

I really don't get the big deal over organic food - perhaps it has something to do with living in a country with a huge population (the craze hasn't really hit here, as our normal food has around 1/3 less chemicals than food in, say, the UK)?

Organic food is a incredibly silly term.

You are right, it is. I suppose that "natural" is a better term, but even that is very subjective. Chemical free just doesn't have that romantic ring.

Anyway, here is that list I was given:

Dairy
Baby Food
Meat (especially beef, poultry & lunch meat)
Nuts (and nut based products like peanut and cashew butter)
Some Produce (all berries, apples, peaches, pears, grapes, corn, potatoes, greens, lettuce, carrots, sweet potatoes, spinach, celery & peppers)

Less important are cereals, breads, fish and produce with a thick skin that you aren't going to eat (like a banana).

"Organic" food is a bit of a fraud.
- There is absolutely no indication that its healthier.
- There is little or no control on organic food. Its easy to claim its organic even if its not.(Though its improving)
- Very little common knowledge about what "chemicals" is. Even chemicals commonly found naturally in foods is considered dangerous by many.
- The primary goal of "organic" food was never to make healthier food, but to keep the soil "naturally" fertile.
- Typically high concentrations of "Natural carcinogens" are ignored, while even miniscule amounts of "chemicals" are scary.

If you want to make healthier food you should concentrate on not using processed foods, and on how to cook the food correctly.

Hi Zoli. I was going to post something similar, but then I thought "nah, what's the point. Organic food aficionados have a belief system that's not really open to the facts."

Now, I'm not saying that everyone who buys organic food is a 'believer', but that the bigtime advocates really overstate the case.

I don't buy organic produce because, as Zoli says (and the National Institutes of Health have documented), there is no nutritional or health benefit to eating it AND it's usually been in transit for a long time AND it's overpriced AND some of it tastes way worse than nonorganic produce (e.g., avocados and other tropicals).
Those organic avocados are like little black golfballs.

BUT I do believe that organic farming practices (IPM, crop rotation, tilling) are much better for the soil, the ecosystems that rely on it, and air and water quality. This is a great argument for all of agriculture to move in that direction.

ALSO, I have to point out, Zoli, that in the U.S. there are labelling laws that govern organic products and the processes they've been through. It's very strict, actually.

That said, what CRACKS ME UP are the aisles and aisles of cardboard boxes and cans and crinkly bags of so-called 'organic' food that is basically really expensive processed junk. Salt and fat and sugar can all be in any processed 'organic' thing. The Snakeoil Section of the supermarket. Organic frozen pizza in a cardboard box with a plastic wrapper. Yeah right. That's good for you. That's good for the land.

BUT I do believe that organic farming practices (IPM, crop rotation, tilling) are much better for the soil, the ecosystems that rely on it, and air and water quality. This is a great argument for all of agriculture to move in that direction.

Yes i believe this was the original goal of "organic" food, but then it got hijacked.

ALSO, I have to point out, Zoli, that in the U.S. there are labelling laws that govern organic products and the processes they've been through. It's very strict, actually.

You are probably right, and it might have gotten better over here as well. I havent really been following up on it lately.

That said, what CRACKS ME UP are the aisles and aisles of cardboard boxes and cans and crinkly bags of so-called 'organic' food that is basically really expensive processed junk. Salt and fat and sugar can all be in any processed 'organic' thing. The Snakeoil Section of the supermarket. Organic frozen pizza in a cardboard box with a plastic wrapper. Yeah right. That's good for you. That's good for the land.

Yes its amazing how many let themselves be fooled like this.

Because these people need to abide by certain rules when making the food. Whether they actually follow proticol is anyones guess but if they are found out they will be told to cease trading.

Well, the organic is more for the environment than its beneficial values...that I do believe in. And most often, the fresh foods from the farm are much better quality and taste than the supermarket variety--even the "organics".

Back