• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who is your favourite author, and why?

This guy has not put out of one piece of bad literature to me, Micheal Connelly he's my favorite, right now and has been for a while, his character Harry Bosch, I don't know..... he makes you able to relate to the character when I have nothing even remotely in common with Harry. The plots are usually pretty good, they tie in pretty seamlessy, maybe it suffers a little, because to me the story is never about the crime in the Harry Bosch book, the story is always about Harry, atleast that's my take on it. Michael Connelly does a good job, he's a little depressing, but nobody's perfect right?

Re: Wally Lamb and Robert McCammon

Wally Lamb recently wrote a book about a group of female inmates that he taught. I haven't read it yet but it's on my list of "Must haves.."

If you like Robert McCammon, you'll love Graham Masterton!

I'm adding Robert Bloch to my list of favorite authors. Although I'm more familiar with his short stories rather than his novels by this point, I enjoy his writings immensely. I've always been a fan of horror and mystery. He caters to my needs in fiction.

David Mitchell...he writes about synchronicity and he writes like a poet. His works are beautiful. The Cloud Atlas is probably one of my top 5 favorite books of all time.

I've had a quick skim through this right from the beginning - am I really the only person out there whose favourite author is Ernest Hemingway? Any writer who can interest me in bull-fighting and lion hunting has got to be a genius.
And then there's the war stories - A Farewell to Arms, For Whom the Bell tolls... Brilliant.

My favorite authors are:

Romance: Nora Roberts / JD Robb
Dramedy: Jennifer Weiner (Good in Bed, In Her Shoes and Little Earthquakes)
Suspense/Who-Done-It?: James Patterson (Alex Cross series)
Comedy: Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum Series)
Childrens: JK Rowling (Harry Potter Duh!)
Self Help: Dr. Gary Chapman (the 5 Love Languages)
Drama: Tracy Chevalier (The Girl With the Pearl Earring, Virgin Blue and Fallen Angels)

Oh yeah, I love Nicholas Sparks, Judy Blume and Anita Shreve, too!

I'm a little fickle, I know. Pretty much I'll read anything you put in front of me.:)

I like Ernest Hemingway, too, haven't read him since I was in school.

this thread is too long, so i skipped the middle and read the last few pages... so if my choices have already been mentioned feel free to ignore, but if no one has mentioned Heller then all I can say is whats wrong with you people!? if its black humor you're after he is the master.. i have to admit i've made a fool out of myself laughing out loud in libraries and bookstores reading heller, after which i did make a very quick get-away -_-
and Haruki Murakami moves me in a way i cant describe, and he does it so effortlessly and he does it with every novel of his I have read (all the ones translated).
my two cents anyway

Ray Bradbury
Isaac Asimov
Joesph Heller (the movie didn't do his novel justice)
Childrens' books: Dr Seuss
NOTE: I have to object to Harry Potter as strictly a commercial enterprise, and of no real value to children. Mostly read and collected by adults, anyway, NOT kids, since most kids can't afford her books. Everyone knows that the books kids mostly read are the ones they pick up on their own, or at the school library. Much less on books people give to them as gifts, saying: "You'll like this one..." Such as an expensive Potter title.
Kurt Vonnegut
Many others...:)

Ray Bradbury
Isaac Asimov
Joesph Heller (the movie didn't do his novel justice)
Childrens' books: Dr Seuss
NOTE: I have to object to Harry Potter as strictly a commercial enterprise, and of no real value to children. Mostly read and collected by adults, anyway, NOT kids, since most kids can't afford her books. Everyone knows that the books kids mostly read are the ones they pick up on their own, or at the school library. Much less on books people give to them as gifts, saying: "You'll like this one..." Such as an expensive Potter title.
Kurt Vonnegut
Many others...:)

You obviously don't have a kid. Or a kid who reads. My son is 16, and he lapped up the first Potter books, but he was already a dyed-in-the-wool fan of Pullman and the Hardy Boys. He loved Conan Doyle, went on the LeCarre, and Martin Cruz Smith. There's nothing fake about the appeal and popularity of the Potter books. Oh yeah, I just got reminded that he went straight into Catch-22 and Edward Ruthorford (London and Sarum) after Potter. But he was never a Tolkein kid.

I like Guy Gavriel Kay. A very accomplished fantasy writer who fleshes out worlds based loosely on our own historical civilizations. Not your regular sword and sorcery/magic and mayhem sort of guy.

Hmm... there used to be a chap around here who couldn't stop talking about him. Where did he go?

ds

Stephen King (Because he's good)
Alex Garland (Same thing)
David Mitchell (He writes like a poet, his stories are great, and his wit makes me laugh)
Khaled Hosseini (A Thousand Splendid Suns comes out May 22nd, hazah!)
Johnathan Stroud (he wrote the Bartimaeus Triloogy, ok? If that was a seven-part series versus a three-run show, I have no doubt in my mind that Harry Potter would have its ass kicked)

hmm mine would be JRR Tolkien...i have yet to find an author that can create such a discriptive masterpiece with such depth, morals...in short...everything ppl look for. some of my other favorite though would have to be CS Lewis, Brian Jacques, Jules Verne, Lewis Carrol (haha), Lemony Snicket (aherm very...unique style :p) and...Winston Churchill.

Right now I am deeply relating to Elizabeth Berg. My "favorite" author is sort of a rolling favorite. There are some I will always respect and enjoy (Leon Uris, Harper Lee, ...) but my flavor-of-day changes with where I am in my life. Berg speaks to my heart; I wouldn't have related 20 years ago. So often she is 'speaking' what I am thinking; I'm reading going "yes, yes, yes !! "
I also enjoy Barbara Kingsolver's work. She is often very provocative - she's passionate and articulate - makes me think - don't always want to but she forces me to pull my head out of the sand.
Lately I enjoy Jhumpa Lahiri - no one can capture the essence of being a second generation American like she can.
I've loved Pearl S. Buck's work...and was actually a huge Ann Rice fan at one time ( eclectic taste I guess).
I have a collection of Steinbeck - read his work avidly when I was in my 20s. And what about Leon Uris - who can not read Trinity or Mila 18 and come away untouched.
Oh yeah - last year I couldn't get over The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - haunting writing.
I have such a hard time picking a favorite. My reading evolves and changes and with it my choice of a favorite writer.

My Favourite author just now is Amy Tan. I really like her books especially The Kitchen's God Wife. I also like Anchee Min as well who wrote the book Empress Orchid.

My favorite auther is Charles Dickens! I also love J K Rowling (Harry Potter!) and I like Kate Dicamilo too (Because of Winn Dixie, The Tale of Desperaux....)

Stars - I'm reading my first book by Anchee Min, entitled "Katherine". (Actually this is an audio book, which I am listening to in my car !) I am just mesmerized. I have a collection of books about China, and this is one of the best I have read about how the change-over from the Cultural Revolution to post-revolution acceptance of westerners affected the people.
One statement in particular stands out: "mindgames are the essence of Chinese Culture".

My favorite author is John Grisham. His writing is amazing and it is to the point. His plots are tight and well put together. He is an amazing man and a true inspiration to me. I am not a fan of his recent work, but all-in-all he is still my number one.

Also, Mario Puzo is a close second :)

Favourite Author

Hi,
I have quite a few favourite authors. (Horror mainly).
Richard Laymon, VC Andrews (Earlier books), Laurell K Hamilton, Kelley Armstrong, JOHN Connolly, Sherrilyn Kenyon (Dark/Were Hunter Series), Christine Feehan (Dark Series), Keri Arthur (Vampire/Werewolf Series).
Greg Iles.
But i think my all time favourite author (books that i will re-read) is Richard Laymon.

Regards
CARY

Back