• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who is your favourite author, and why?

Here are my top 5 authors:

1 - J.K Rowling :D
2 - Micheal Morpurgo :p
3 - Cressida Cowell :)
4 - Nick Arnold :rolleyes:
5 - Teary Deary :cool:

So many! At the very top of the list is Anne McCAffrey, also love Robert Aspirin's Myth series. Barbara Michael's mystery/suspense/supernatural books are great. I'm at work and can't think of others at the moment, but I have 2 full bookcases and then a stack by the bed and a couple stacks on the computer desk. lol

Minette Walters. She's really great! And David Eddings with his humor and JK Rowling because she made me write.

In no particular order and only the ones I can think of off the top of my head...

Arthur Conan Doyle
Charles McCarry
John Wyndham
Diana Gabaldon
James Herriot
Louis L'Amour
John Toland
Kathy Reichs
Anne Perry
Mary Stewart

Oh yes, that Russian fella....what is his name......um, um, Vladimir Nabokov. :cool:

Hi pontalba,
I like conan doyle's sherlock holmes (read em all), have you ever read any of the ones he wrote about knights of old england (if so, are they any good?)
I really like james herriot too, gives you a sort of warm feeling. I wanted to be a vet once because of his books.

Authors Who Were Once Good:

-Anne Rice. Her last great novel was Pandora. She should have stopped writing the Vampire Chronicles after that was published and moved on to different areas of fiction. While the final few books weren't all bad (I liked Merrick and thought Blackwood Farm was okay), the series lasted longer than it should have.

-Chuck Palahniuk. Diary was awful and Haunted was an average read that could have been so much more (the "authors" sounded the same, and the stories ranged from good to awful).

-Laurell K. Hamilton. She was never an amazing writer, but I liked the world and characters she created. Sadly the books are made up of two things: trashy sex scenes and tiresome sex talk. Will that change? Since Hamilton loves the direction her series has taken, I'm not getting my hopes up.

New Favorites:

-David Sedaris. I love his sense of humor and his way of analyzing the most mundane of events. He's probably one of the funniest people alive today. The same could be said for Augusten Burroughs, who writes in a similar fashion to Sedaris.

-Jacqueline Carey. I haven't read her Sundering series yet, but I loved her Kushiel's Legacy[/B trilogy. Anyone who's looking for a distinct, intricate fantasy series should give these books a try.

-Terry Pratchett. I like his send-up of cliches and conventions that appear in the fantasy genre. His books are very addicting.

Other Favorites:

-Stephen King
-Nick Hornby
-George RR Martin
-Terry Goodkind
-Poppy Z. Brite

steffee said:
Oh, who's he then?
Oh, no one that we'd know in the usual course of events, just an obscure little Russian fella with the interestingly pronounced name. ;)
SIB The only Conan Doyle's that I've read are the Holmes. I grew up on them, and devoured 'em. I did know he'd written other books, but didn't quite pay attention to that. :eek: And the television programs of Herriots are the things that made me buy the books. I love all of them! :)

pontalba said:
Oh, no one that we'd know in the usual course of events, just an obscure little Russian fella with the interestingly pronounced name. ;)
Vladimir Vladimirovich! Interesting, indeed. Sorry, Pontalba... I tried to put a wink, but it wouldn't let me. :rolleyes:

Anamnesis said:
Chuck Palahniuk. Diary was awful
I agree. I couldn't get into Diary at all, I finished it because I wanted to 'complete' Palahniuk. His other works (apart from Fugatives and Refugees) I must say are fantastic!

I finished it because I wanted to 'complete' Palahniuk. His other works (apart from Fugatives and Refugees) I must say are fantastic

I never read Fugitives and Refugees. Was it any good?

I have so many, once I find an author I like, I try to read all their books.

Here are a few off the top of my head:

Nicholas Sparks
James Patterson
Nora Roberts
J.K. Rowling
Janet Evanovich

Anamnesis said:
I never read Fugitives and Refugees. Was it any good?
If you have been to Portland, Oregon then you might enjoy it, if not, it's awful! It's kind of an autobiography but it really isn't interesting, I wouldn't recommend it! It's just a book about Portland, Oregon where Chuck grew up.

Personally, my favorite author is Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, especially in her earlier works that included the vampire stories. I don't know why, but stories about vampires, fictional or nonfictional, have always caught my interest. So pretty much any author with a vampiric book published is a top figure of mine.:D I also really like Gaston LeRoux's Phantom of the Opera. That is the best story ever published by human hands.

Back