• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who likes Blackadder?

direstraits

"Baldrick: I thought he was the cleverest man in England.

Blackadder: Baldrick, I'd bump into cleverer people at a lodge meeting of the Guild of Village Idiots."

Hilarious!

ds

direstraits said:
"Baldrick: I thought he was the cleverest man in England.

Blackadder: Baldrick, I'd bump into cleverer people at a lodge meeting of the Guild of Village Idiots."

Hilarious!

ds

Oh oh oh. My favorite is Hugh Laurie as the stupid prince!! And Tim McInerney as Percy! Atkinson can be a little grating and predictable at times, but he definitely found his golden niche in that series. (I think my fave is Bl'adder II.)

I love love love Hugh Laurie. I only hope he doesn't sell his soul in Hollywood. Apparently he has a new doctor show coming out in America.

ME! ME! ME! ME! Gotta love Blackadder! Soooooooo funny :D The only one that was not that good was the first series but the 2nd, third, and Fourth were all great!

RaVeN said:
Where is it shown over here? PBS?

I've heard of it but never seen it.

RaVeN

It has been shown on some PBS stations (including the Long Island, NY, one). And more recently on BBC America.

novella said:
It has been shown on some PBS stations (including the Long Island, NY, one). And more recently on BBC America.

Thanks. I'll check my PBS listings. I cancelled cable some time ago and no longer get BBC America. :(

RaVeN

novella said:
Oh oh oh. My favorite is Hugh Laurie as the stupid prince!! And Tim McInerney as Percy! Atkinson can be a little grating and predictable at times, but he definitely found his golden niche in that series. (I think my fave is Bl'adder II.)

I love love love Hugh Laurie. I only hope he doesn't sell his soul in Hollywood. Apparently he has a new doctor show coming out in America.
Yeah, Hugh Laurie is bloody good as the prince - I like the way he pulls off the silliness with a straight face. :D

"Prince: Socks are like sex, there's tons of it about but I never seem to get any!"

Anyway, if you're interested, you could check out this page, which contains Blackadder scripts. I wanted to look up the part where the guy who wrote the dictionary showed up and proclaimed he documented every word, and BA just rattled off some really silly words (It's in BlackAdder the Third Ep 2 Ink and Incapability).

ds

Ah, yes. Robbie Coltrane as Dr. Johnson. There's also Miranda Richardson as the selfish queen. What a great cast that had.

LOVE BLACKADDER! (Well, all except for the WWI soldiers season. That one just didn't grab me as well.)

Any Red Dwarf fans? I wish I could find it on tape or CD. Only caught part of one season, but loved it!

Cathy

I enjoyed both Blackadder and Red Dwarf when I used to watch them several years ago. Haven't happened to have seen them recently.

How about "One Foot in the Grave", which is about some old guy who has the worst luck? Well, I thought it was funny.

We see a lot of Red Green here in Washington. A little too much, if you ask me.

Mort said:
We see a lot of Red Green here in Washington. A little too much, if you ask me.

I can understand your view, but I still like him.

(keep your stick on the ice)
RaVeN

Cathy C said:
LOVE BLACKADDER! (Well, all except for the WWI soldiers season. That one just didn't grab me as well.)

Any Red Dwarf fans? I wish I could find it on tape or CD. Only caught part of one season, but loved it!

Cathy

Yeah, love red dwarf too! Fantastic!

Mort said:
How about "One Foot in the Grave", which is about some old guy who has the worst luck? Well, I thought it was funny.

I love Blackadder. And Red Dwarf (well a few of the series anyway). Not sure about One Foot in the Grave... don't like Only Fools and Horses either. Pile of crud.

Tell you what else I hate - Mr Bean :mad:

I've got all of the Blackadder stuff on video and I've got the first six or seven series of Red Dwarf too. But what about Blake's 7? Now that was a great show!

Freya said:
Tell you what else I hate - Mr Bean :mad:
I've observed little kids watching Beans - they love his antics. I agree they tend to be boring after a while.

But Atkinson's live act is really good. I've seen the skits he did onstage on video once (where he did a combination of Bean-like performances with spoken performances) - brilliant.

ds

Another Blackadder fan here! I loved all the series, but my least fave was probably the first one. By the second series it had really got into its stride with Queenie and Melchett (and Rik Mayall as an added bonus! :D ) Loved the dictionary episode in the third series and Blackadder trying to teach Baldrick to count always sticks in my mind ("Some beans?") :D

Was I the only one in floods of tears at the end of series 4? :(

Also loved Red Dwarf and Drop the Dead Donkey, hated One Foot... and Mr Bean (slapstick comedy is not my thing).

Does anyone else remember Brass? It was bloody brilliant - an '80s comedy set in a Yorkshire mining town which completely took the mick out of all those gritty northern dramas that used to be on a lot. Timothy West was in it as Bradley Hardacre, and it was completely hilarious. :D

Where can I find Blackadder or Red Dwarf on video (or DVD?) I just picked up Fawlty Towers -- also a HUGE favorite! The DVD set has outtakes from the series, which are too funny for words.

Cathy

Back