• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who likes Dilbert?

direstraits

Scott Adams is one of the worst cartoonist I know. Art-wise, that is. As a comic strip, though, he's hard to beat. He's one of only 2 cartoonists that can consistently make me laugh.

Haven't you seen a Dilbert strip that so mirrors your own work life that you just had to laugh?

The pointy-haired boss may just be the most inspired of all comic strip characters.

ds

Yes, I agree that Dilbert ranks up there. I have found many times it hits the nail on the head of office life.

Another one that is poorly drawn but can be very funny (to me) is Pearls Before Swine.

Then there is Get Fuzzy. I really enjoy it. Especially the personalities of the three main characters.

Yeah, I found out about Get Fuzzy here. That one's pretty good too.

I'm trying to find one of my fav Dilbert strip to post here.

ds

I love Dilbert. I get my comic strip daily in my e-mails. I also own Scott Adams' 'The Joy Of Work', and it was very funny.

Did you know that Scott Adams has written some sci-fi/fantasy? I came across a book of his called "The Religion War", which from what I saw is a sequel to "God's Debris". Anyone read these?

I'm currently not what you would consider a "traditional office worker". I usually see my boss once every other week for a few minutes so we can catch up on what is happening. I've only once seen him at work during my normal working hours. However, I still love the Dilbert comics. I agree with DS that the drawing is lousy, but the hilarity of the subject matter makes up for it. I had a job in college that we used to joke about being what Dilbert was written about. We even had meetings about meetings there.

Dilbert is one of my favorites, I always look for it in the paper. I don't work in that kind of office setting, but the evil human relations director is exactly like someone in a similar position that I work with. :D

One of the ways Dilbert stays 'fresh' is Scott Adams's willingness to integrate stories from his readers into his work. It helps that he's familiar with the sort of pain the regular office worker goes through.

His sales and technical guy scenarios are always funny - I'm familiar with those types of scenarios. And worse of all, some of them are right on!

There was this ex-colleague of mine who is technical who couldn't really get along with the sales person. There was this point where he tacked a Dilbert strip to his cubicle to make a statement. I don't think she noticed the strip or cared. :D

The strip was:
Salesman: I want you to tell me everything you can about this product before we meet this customer.
Dilbert: It's red in colour...
Salesman [clutching his head]: Too much info! Too much info!!

ds

Who was it that Scott Adams used to work for? Was it Pacific Bell? I know it was one of those huge telecommunications conglomerates.

tartan_skirt said:
I love Dilbert. I get my comic strip daily in my e-mails. I also own Scott Adams' 'The Joy Of Work', and it was very funny.

A great book to look through!. :D I have that one and it's one of my favorites as well. I like to photo-copy certain ones to work friends that are relevant to our situation.

I've had it delivered to my inbox everyday for about three years now, and even though I'm not an office man, still really enjoy it. I used to get Get Fuzzy as well but when I changed email addresses didn't resubscribe. That was quite good too as I remember.

Another "not well drawn yet very funny" cartoon I like are the Far Side toons. They always make me chuckle, and have read the few compilations I have many times over when I'm feeling a little down.

Back