• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who likes Monty Python?

Enough with the lines from Monty Python ventures, everyone...

Mind you, I can talk. Last year I replaced my videos of Flying Circus with a 14-DVD box set (which I had to import from the US). To my credit I haven't actually watched any of them. John Cleese is spot on when he says that about 80% of it is dross, but the best stuff - I'm thinking of things like the argument sketch or the Spanish Inquisition - is extraordinary. Still, I probably should have stuck with the 3-disc Best Of, which is all you can get of it in the UK on DVD.

Shade said:
Still, I probably should have stuck with the 3-disc Best Of, which is all you can get of it in the UK on DVD.
That's weird. We couldn't get the box set either, so we had to have it shipped from the UK.

I used to watch Monty Python on PBS. It came on right after Dr. Who and before Benny Hill. Great stuff.

I liked the race between the stupid men. I can't remember what the British word for it was. Anyway, one of them won by running himself over or something like that. I used to laugh until I hurt--literally. Some of it was so British that I didn't understand it, but it was still funny. THAT is classic.

I'll have to look into that box set you can only get in America. Got any Spam?

Prolixic said:
I liked the race between the stupid men. I can't remember what the British word for it was. Anyway, one of them won by running himself over or something like that. I used to laugh until I hurt--literally. Some of it was so British that I didn't understand it, but it was still funny. THAT is classic.

Upper Class Twit of the Year!!! :D

TWIT! I knew it was something like that. Great. Upper Middle Class Twit of the Year wasn't it? Its all coming back now...

The fish slapping dance is another classic from MP.

The Holy Grail and Life of Brian is probably their best work, but there are a lot of superb sketches in Flying Circus as well.

Reg: All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
Some guy: Brought peace?

Brian: I am NOT the Messiah!
Arthur: I say you are Lord, and I should know. I've followed a few.

This thread inspired me, I had to watch the Holy Grail last night. And it was STILL FUNNY! :) I'm particularly fond of Sir Robin's Minstrels.

Wolf was wondering tho, do the animated bits add to the movie, or are the just annoying. Thoughts?

I actually rather liked Gilliam's work. It's not always great, but some pieces are brilliant. I guess that's what MP is all about.

I liked the animated parts in HG :) I especially liked the bit with the clouds and sun jumping up and down... bloody weather! lol

never been a fan
(always thought the humor was to british for me)
although i liked a lot other movies were members of the cast were heavily involved in writing and/or acting like "time bandits" and "a fish called wanda"

Well my avatar and sig pretty much says it.

My cousin and I were Monty Python FANATICS when we were kids. CBC used to show it on Saturdays and whenever we got together to watch it we'd be in tears laughing. We were both pretty twisted so it was right up our alley. My mom has a picture somewhere of the two of us dressed up as Gumby.

When the Holy Grail was released in theaters my mom dropped the two of us off to see it. There were only about 5 people in the theater and we were the only ones laughing. Hysterically.

I've got to say Meaning of Life is my favorite. When that was released I took my girlfriend at the time. Bad idea. She almost got sick at the vomit scene.
I, of course was laughing. Hysterically. :D

mr_michel said:
although i liked a lot other movies were members of the cast were heavily involved in writing and/or acting like "time bandits" and "a fish called wanda"

I fell asleep during Time Bandits. I don't think I liked it much.

A Fish Called Wanda, Fierce Creatures, and that kind of thing are fun to watch though.

John Cleese, Eric whatsisname and the younger guy from Eric the Viking are all hilarious. But John Cleese...that guy can make me laugh by wiggling an eyebrow. Thats talent.

Back