• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who wants to see the hobbit?

There was a problem with obtaining the rights but I'm pretty sure they managed to sort it out and everything is all go if they wish to make the Hobbit! :)

Perhaps

I think The Hobbit should have been made first. I went with my partner to watch 1st LoTR and he didn't get lots of bits because characters and skills and language etc... are really carefully introduced in The Hobbit. I agree that too much was cut out of LoTR films... all the really special bits that make you want to carry on reading and travelling with all the characters.

I don't really agree with you that a lot of stuff was introduced in the Hobbit and so needing to see that is a must to understand the film :)

For one when Tolkien wrote the Hobbit he had no idea he would go on to write the Lord of the Rings. Thoe books came about when he would send it home bit by bit to entertain the young boys. I think Lord of the Rings is pretty self contained. The only thing important that is introduced in the Hobbit is the ring and at the time of writing, as stated, Tolkien had no idea or plans to write Lord of the Rings so as you see in the Hobbit it's just a simple magic ring to make you invisible. Later when he came to write Lord of the rings he expanded it to be "the" ring and Lord of the Rings explaines this with in the story.

SillyWabbit said:
Later when he came to write Lord of the rings he expanded it to be "the" ring and Lord of the Rings explaines this with in the story.
Didn't Tolkien change the part about how Bilbo got the ring after LOTR was written? Seem to remember someone mentioning that somewhere.

hay82 said:
Didn't Tolkien change the part about how Bilbo got the ring after LOTR was written? Seem to remember someone mentioning that somewhere.

Yes he did :) The first edition of The Hobbit was published in 1937. After Tolkien published LOTR, he decided to revise the Hobbit, as in the first edition of the book he had written that Gollum gave the ring up willingly (or something to that effect) - this didn't fit in to the importance given to the ring in LOTR and the hold it had over Gollum so he set about revising it :)

HTH

That was what I had heard too Ice.

To answer the question of the thread. Yes I would like to see the Hobbit. It isn't one of those books I think would be ruined for me by making a movie of it.

If i'm not mistaken Peter Jackson has already been asked to make it, but he wanted to do some other projects first. So once King Kong is done he might start on The Hobbit.

LOTR was a big success so you can be sure Hollywood wants to make The Hobbit. If they were allowed to do it they would probably try to make LOTR2- Return of Sauron as well.

Nosferatu Man said:
Yeah, I'd love to see a movie of The Hobbit. I think it would be really nice to see the characters (portrayed by the correct actors) inside the story of The Hobbit, with the same Production (and Direction) that Pete and the team brought to The Lord of the Rings. I like your idea, Prolixic, about Legolas turning up in Mirkwood. I think that would be great. He wouldn't have to say much (if anything), and just walk past or something. But then, it might not be such a great idea, because Legolas didn't really seem to notice Bilbo, or Gloin at the Council of Elrond at all, and if he'd seen them in Mirkwood only a few years ago (for him) he would certainly have some sort of recollection of them and would say so. But, if his part is extremely insignificant and he hardly even looks at the hobbit and dwarves, then it could be a good idea. I can't remember if Gandalf is with the company when they're travelling through Mirkwood, but if he is, then it probably wouldn't be a good idea for Legolas to show up, because he'd certainly remember Gandalf, and also he'd probably want to talk with him for a while when they're in Mirkwood or something.

On a different topic altogether, Elladan and Elrohir (Elrond's kids) could make an appearance in Rivendell (we see them - I think - in the Council of Elrond, and possibly in the latter movies, I can't remember), and if Aragorn is living with Elrond around the time Biblo and co. are there, we could see a young Aragorn there. We know that Bilbo already knows Aragorn by the time Frodo and co. arrive in Rivendell before the Council, because Bilbo asks Aragorn to help him with his song in the Great Hall. So they could incorporate some sort of story where Bilbo meets Aragorn in Rivendell on his way to Erebor and there wouldn't be any inconsistencies in friendships, and everything would be water-tight. That's all assuming that Aragorn is actually alive around the time of the Quest of Erebor. I could do some quick research in my copy of The Return of the King, but I quite like my idea and I wouldn't want it to be quashed with hard facts and figures. So, I'll set it in stone before I have a look. Here goes.

I may be wrong but the Hobbit is definately set before LOTR. Legolas only met Gandalf there. I stand to be corrected.

Even though I wasn't so crazy about the book, I will definately want to see the movie version of The Hobbit. I thought Peter Jackson did a wonderful job with the LOTR films, and am positive he can do the same with this story. Having been forced to watch the interviews with the art guys( you know, the ones who had to make it all look real), I am convinced that Mr. Jackson knows how to surround himself with highly creative people who thrive on challenge. (My artist son is the one who watches the behind the scenes stuff).

I really loved the book, and I really want to see a movie adaptation of it, especially if it is directed by Peter Jackson. He did a brilliant job of LOTR, IMHO. The costumes were amazing! :eek:

I think that we will be waiting awhile, though, as I believe that he is set to do a movie adaptation of 'The Lovely Bones' after finishing 'King Kong' (which I suppose he has already done?)

Back