• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who's at fault? Parents, TV, Kellogs, Kids, Nickelodian?

Motokid

Read this and tell me if you see just cause for our court systems to have to make these types of judgements.

I wonder if the parents would rather Tampon ads be on Nickelodian, or maybe some Budweiser ads?

Who is making the decisions on what food to buy? In my house my wife and I do. Not Nickelodian, or my cable company, or Kellogs.

In my opinion, if the parents really cared about the health of their kids, instead of letting them watch t.v, they would have them exercising outside. All (or most) kids crave this stuff, but people can make their own choices. They don't need to submit to their kids' will and buy what they want them to buy. I agree that neither Kelloggs or Nickelodeon force anyone to eat anything. If the broadcasters want to air these ads, they have every right to. And parents have every right to not buy these things for their kids, or to not let them watch certain channels, etc. It's like suing McDonald's because you got fat after eating a burger there every day for ten years. Well all I can say is, for lack of a better word, DUH! What did you expect? When parents make the choice of buying junk food, they are the only ones to blame. There's much worse their kids could be watching anyway.

Good grief! Here's another case of parents trying to abrogate responsibility.

Since when did the advertising companies or Nickleodeon force someone to put something in their shopping cart?

It's a complete misuse of the court system by parents too lazy to parent.

:rolleyes:

I don't see need for a lawsuit here. We have always limited our family's tv viewing and have a "just say NO!" policy when grocery shopping. Not that it's easy to enforce. We just point out the realities of life when the kids want junk, whether it's food or a stupid toy they saw advertised somewhere. Reality number 1: this item is not healthy for your body or your mind. Reality number 2: mom and dad either can't afford, or refuse to buy this item. Reality number 3: if you want this, you can earn the money to buy it yourself.
Really though, by cutting out most programing, we've not had to argue too much over cereals and toys. This is a parental decision that need not involve lawsuits and front page news.

Ell said:
Good grief! Here's another case of parents trying to abrogate responsibility.

Since when did the advertising companies or Nickleodeon force someone to put something in their shopping cart?

It's a complete misuse of the court system by parents too lazy to parent.

i was about to say the same thing. the parents just want someone else to say no to their children so they don't have to.

they want to blame their children's problems on everyone and everything BUT themselves.

Seriously, if a parent has that much trouble telling an 8 year old they can't have a sugary cereal they have bigger problems than tv commercials.

One of the things I've been doing lately is trying to leave more kids at home when I make a grocery store run. It's crazy the stuff they through up on the counter when they think I'm not looking. That's just human nature. It isn't the advertising industry at fault in situations like this. It's greedy urchins(mine included), and weary, frustrated parents who just want to get the check written and go home. So, it takes a parent to say, "we aren't playing this game anymore," and stop the nonsense.

abecedarian said:
One of the things I've been doing lately is trying to leave more kids at home when I make a grocery store run. It's crazy the stuff they through up on the counter when they think I'm not looking. That's just human nature. It isn't the advertising industry at fault in situations like this. It's greedy urchins(mine included), and weary, frustrated parents who just want to get the check written and go home. So, it takes a parent to say, "we aren't playing this game anymore," and stop the nonsense.

today at work i was ringing up a customer and her child kept screaming about wanting a book and interrupting her. She told him that he was being rude, but didn't do anything about it. She asked her husband to take the child outside and he just ignored her, so the kid just sat there screaming and interrupting the whole time. the kid was probably about 6.

a few hours later the same thing happened. this girl was 12, and she was extremely rude and her mother did nothing about it.

it makes me angry to see things like that because neither one of those women was helping out their child by ignoring that behavior.

I agree totally with everything that has been said here. This is just taking the whole lawsuit fad too far. The kids are not the ones who do the shopping, and so therefore if the parent does not agree with the ads being shown all they have to do is not pick it up when they go shopping. It's that simple. Sometimes I just cannot believe how stupid/greedy/rediculous people are. It's mind-boggling.

venusunfolding said:
today at work i was ringing up a customer and her child kept screaming about wanting a book and interrupting her. She told him that he was being rude, but didn't do anything about it. She asked her husband to take the child outside and he just ignored her, so the kid just sat there screaming and interrupting the whole time. the kid was probably about 6.

a few hours later the same thing happened. this girl was 12, and she was extremely rude and her mother did nothing about it.

it makes me angry to see things like that because neither one of those women was helping out their child by ignoring that behavior.

One thing those of you folks without children need to understand is that modern parents are danged if we do and danged if we don't in situations like this. In public, a parent is judged regardless of how we handle any given misbehavior. Having had children throw fits in public, I understand completely the humiliation and embarrassment these parents you saw experienced. I try to keep calm when my kids get rowdy, and let them, and everyone around me(since we're all 'enjoying' this show, aren't we) know that we will deal with this in private, and the child won't like it much.
My kids know that these public displays of greed mean it will be a very long time before they have the opportunity to go with me again. Since there is always several siblings vying for the chance, they usually don't go too far with these temper tamtrums. We're working on the youngest child now..good thing he's cute.

Ohhh those poor poor parents, how they must suffer when their kids beg to get this item or another because they've been watching tv commercials.

I never begged my parents for anything when I was a kid (and when I was a kid tv-commercials had not yet come to Denmark)

oh....

wait...

I did beg for stuff. When I saw my friends have this thing or another I may have wanted one for myself... BAN FRIENDS. To let our children have contact with such nasty sources of.... uhhhh nevermind.

Sometimes I even saw stuff in the shops that I wanted and therefore begged to have... BAN THE SHOPS!!!!! Such blatant display of 'wantable' stuff is... uhhh....

You know... maybe some parents should just consider growing spines and learn how to raise their kids.

I'm sure in the UK we just passed a law that ads for shit like McDonalds can't be shown until after 9pm on kids' channels.Can't remember the full story, though.

Much as I would like to come in as devil's advocate and give a dissenting view, I agree with everything that has been said so far.

Stewart said:
More kids? Who do they belong to? :confused:
LOL
Stewart, Stewart, Stewart, what forum have you been living in?*chuckle*
Whenever I feel that my herd of four hooligans are driving me nuts, I just think of all the mothers that I know who have more children that I do and have yet to kill any one of them. ABC is one of those mothers. More kids? They belong to her, she's got ten of them.

On topic- More parents need to stop trying to be their kids friend. "No " is not a bad word.

Oh, This is absolutely ridiculous.

Once again, some parents are too afraid to say NO to their child. Scared they will dmage the youngster for life, or that their child may hate them. So they wish to delegate that tough side of parenting to someone else. Oh, when I was a nanny I saw far too many of these 'friend parents' and precisely where that got them.

Of course advertisers want the kids to beg for these things. Mom and Dad need to take personal responsibilty here. Of course it isn't fun having to actually enforce limits on children, but that is part of whole 'parent' job description. This whole lawsuit is just silly. Parents should limit the TV if they hate it that much.

Normally, I would be thrilled to participate in a mass spanking of modern parents (especially after the recent Christmas shopping campaign) but...

"Dan Mindus, a spokesman for campaign group the Center for Consumer Freedom, said: "Kids want these foods not because of ads, but because they're children." "

The companies marketing this junk obviously spend a mint trying to unlock childish preferences to sell their trash, and it's an open secret they're trying to make the tots brand loyal for life. Frankly, whenever they're attacked they ought to squeal and pay up because the fortunes they're making far surpass any minor aggravation like limiting their commercials during kiddy hours. The fact that they fight at all is just overwhelming greed and dwarfs even the obnoxious depravity of modern parents.

cajunmama said:
LOL
Stewart, Stewart, Stewart, what forum have you been living in?*chuckle*
Whenever I feel that my herd of four hooligans are driving me nuts, I just think of all the mothers that I know who have more children that I do and have yet to kill any one of them. ABC is one of those mothers. More kids? They belong to her, she's got ten of them.

Doggone it CM, I thought I could trust you to keep a secret;) Sheesh..can't tell anyone anything these days

On topic- More parents need to stop trying to be their kids friend. "No " is not a bad word.

How about if children watch less tv? How about if they become less saturated with ads by being less saturated with television? *slaps hand over mouth* Did I say such a blasphemous thing out loud?

Mari said:
How about if children watch less tv? How about if they become less saturated with ads by being less saturated with television? *slaps hand over mouth* Did I say such a blasphemous thing out loud?

Or at least watch with the kids now and then, and teach them to recognize propaganda and salesmanship techniques. We've always 'talked back' to the media when we'd hear a statement that was untrue or an obviously biased comment. It's an easy way to teach the kids that not everything some talking head says, is necessarily true, and to convey our own values.

Back