• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why Can't Female Writers Write?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For your knowledge Smila, Pat Barker, Jan Morris, Penelope Lively, Jhumpa Lahiri, and Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings are also women. ;)

I do prefer books by men but that's only because I find that the writing of men is less concerned with tattly minutiae. I don't prejudice my choices by the author's gender but when I look at the list of books I've read this year there is only one by a woman that I have rated above my average three stars and that was Carry Me Down by M.J. Hyland. The other women in my list were Jeanette Winterson, Margaret Atwood, Anais Nin, Nadine Gordimer, Amanda Prantera, Francoise Sagan, Muriel Spark, Louise Welsh, and Marilynne Robinson. I've also tossed books by Dorota Maslowska, Colette Paul, and Kiran Desai to the side after failing to be overly thrilled or taken by the prose.

When it comes to men, however, I find a far greater number of them are able to capture my attention with their prose and I have rated a much larger proportion of masculine authored books as above average. Philip Roth, Florian Zeller, Roddy Doyle, John Fante, Richard Yates, Sam Selvon, Nuruddin Farah, Patrick McGrath, Tim Krabbe, Gilbert Adair, Chinua Achebe, Ian McEwan, JL Carr, Vladimir Nabokov, John Steinbeck, Atiq Rahimi, John Irving, Yukio Mishima, Edward St. Aubyn, and Martin Amis.

The ratio of men I'd rate over female writers based on what I've read this year, once you convert it to percentages for statistical comparson, is quite a difference. I suppose, for me, men just have a better grasp of what writing is about. Not to knock those women who have had their success but I don't think turning literary awards into a battle of the sexes is much argument in either direction. It's a personal thing, pure and simple.

Yes, this is exactly what I wanted to say. Thanks, Stewart!

I just wanted to riled some beautiful woman up on this forum. ;)

I think it is because the expierences we share and interpret is vastly different, that makes men's work truly distinguishable compared to women.

What woman can write better than Edgar Allen Poe, Stephen King, JRR Tolkien, and the host of other master storyteller at this epic-scale? None. Women cannot rise above men because of their constant gossip and secrets; it is difficult for them to be honest and spill their guts on paper. The only book that comes close is a memior called "The Surrender" about a woman who loves anal **** and sodomy.

I am done with this Board. Where are the moderators? Do they do anything here? I thought I had found a really nice board where I could enjoy some time discussing books and authors with other intelligent people. This is ridiculous. Why allow people to start these type of moronic threads and keep them going? If you cannot control your own board I really want nothing more to do with it.

I recently participated in a similar discussion about female authors in the crime fiction genre. "Where are all the 'great' female mystery writers?" someone asked. Why are all the best men? In response, people started to nominate some of the best female crime novelists they'd read. The man who originally asked the question finally admitted he'd not read any of those authors since they were female of course, and everyone knows women don't write as well. I wonder if this "blind spot" may be part of the problem.

I tend to read more male authors myself, although I couldn't tell you why. About 30% of the books I've read this year were written by female authors. I believe that in contemporary fiction and crime fiction there just may be more published male than female authors.

I am done with this Board. Where are the moderators? Do they do anything here? I thought I had found a really nice board where I could enjoy some time discussing books and authors with other intelligent people. This is ridiculous. Why allow people to start these type of moronic threads and keep them going? If you cannot control your own board I really want nothing more to do with it.

Do you have anxiety or panic disorder? :)

Censorship is the worst form of inhibition. Great many books would not have been published if there was such a thing..

I really hope you won't let one fuckhead like eyez0nme, who is only in this to get exactly that reaction, get the better of you. You bring a lot more to this board than he does, and I for one would be sad to see you go.

Please do not leave BAR Smila. :(

Yes, this is exactly what I wanted to say. Thanks, Stewart!

I just wanted to riled some beautiful woman up on this forum. ;)

I think it is because the expierences we share and interpret is vastly different, that makes men's work truly distinguishable compared to women.

What woman can write better than Edgar Allen Poe, Stephen King, JRR Tolkien, and the host of other master storyteller at this epic-scale? None. Women cannot rise above men because of their constant gossip and secrets; it is difficult for them to be honest and spill their guts on paper. The only book that comes close is a memior called "The Surrender" about a woman who loves anal **** and sodomy.

Notice how much better the grammar is in this post?

Smila, I've been in and out of here since I joined due to uneven moderation. There's a history of it so if you're hanging around in hopes it'll get better...

Not only does she have panic attacks but also boderline personality disorder. :eek:

Sorry to quote this, Smila, but just so he doesn't edit his personal attacks. I guess this won't get him banned either, but at least it should be obvious to everyone what a complete waste of milkman's sperm this asshole is.

Sorry to quote this, Smila, but just so he doesn't edit his personal attacks. I guess this won't get him banned either, but at least it should be obvious to everyone what a complete waste of milkman's sperm this asshole is.

Milkman? You're too kind. Obviously he's a concoction of a myriad of crack addicted johns.

I got a gut feeling that Smila is gone for good. :mad:

Good job eyezOnme! You made a quality member reject the forum. :mad:

The question really isn't on this being a moronic thread, but rather an even handed response from the moderators to a troll who is obviously thriving on riling up people.

I guess I am beginning to wonder what it will take for a member to be warned or banned anymore (mrs claus notwithstanding).

I think there is discussion to be had here in this thread, no doubt. On one hand, there's this 'need' to keep this forum free from heavy-handed moderation, and let innocuously controversial threads from being locked, and to keep the board from being on a permamently 'feel-good' mode and becoming totally unrealistic.

On the other hand, there's another need to attract and keep good members. Not everyone has the same sensibilities, and it's supremely important that people realize that. What's acceptable for someone may not be acceptable for others. It's one thing to say "it's okay, it's not your cup of tea, ignore this thread and look elsewhere" and another when people start leaving because of this.

I'm amused as usual by eyez0nme, who makes me laugh.

I think Smila would have a merry ole time with Novella, if either were still around.

ds

The suck compared to men. They ramble on and on, using the deadened adverbs incesstantly. Horrible.

The only good female writers are Harper Lee, Katherine Mansfield, Shriley Jackson, and the woman who wrote the Yellow Wallpaper. Everyone else suck. :mad:

Wwhy?

Are you nuts? :mad:

How about Mary Shelly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back