• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why Can't Female Writers Write?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bram Stoker's Dracula is based on a true story of a warrior prince. Mary Shelly used her imagination. Can't get any better than that.

And if you can't give kudos to Mary Shelly than you are a literary snob and an idiot as well. :p :p :p

Nah, I give kudos to Mary Shelly, just not her execution.

Her writing style pales in comparison to her male counterparts. It's boring. :(

Btw, I love that quote in your signature. :)

Over here.

I don't think it's a moronic thread although it could have been worded (and apostrophised) in a better manner. Such a discussion elsewhere proved to be rather interesting and it was great to read views on the big man woman literary divide. (If it exists.)

Thanks for the link man! Here is a wonderful quote from one of its members:

Why the bias against women authors? Because far too many are pedlars of ennui. They're neat and meticulous and have an eye for the small detail and are dull, dull, dull (Anita Shreve, Tracy Chevalier, Joanne Harris to name but a few). They think on a small scale (very small in the case of Anita Brookner); they revel in the tedious minutiae of family squabbles and turmoils (Joanna Trollope et Aga saga co). They write in beautifully executed sentences, technically skilled and squeaky perfect, (again, Brookner but include Shields, Hill and PD James - bless her - here) but completely lacking in balls! Their plot lines are thin, thin, thin. They worry and fret about the exact shade of varicose veins; they worriedly obsess about obsessive worriers. So much of their output - why, it's all so wretchedly unimpressively, drearily Smallsville. And don't get me started on the chick-litters! Trite trash fit only for those of bird brain and shallow horizons. And we'll leave the romantic lady novelists completely out of it, shall we? I mean Barbara Cartland, Danielle Steel, Virginia Andrews anyone? Only if you've one foot in the grave and sport a blue rinse and set. So no, perhaps you'll see why I'm not at all surprised so few men read women, because in a nutshell, far too many women authors lack literary ooomph!

Er ... that's why!
Which, as I've said, 100% agree.

Well, since you mention it, how about explaining what you mean by her "execution"/ writing style. What's less than great about it? She's a woman who can write like a man. How many men can write like a woman? I can think of two - Wally Lamb and Michael Cunningham. That's it.:confused:

Many men (have you read Gerald's Game? [Sometimes I wonder if King is actually a woman :eek: ]) can write women. Only a few women can write man. Get your facts straight.

I am very impressed by your reply. Maybe you have shown some of these other nay-sayers that you actually are entitled to an opinion - as long as it's expressed in a fairly intelligent manner, which you did here.

I'm wondering if you are a writer yourself.

But, surely you cannot be so close-minded as to generalize about woman writers. You sound intelligent (as I said before) so I have to assume you are suffering from some type of dislike of women in general. ;)

I am done with this Board. Where are the moderators? Do they do anything here? I thought I had found a really nice board where I could enjoy some time discussing books and authors with other intelligent people. This is ridiculous. Why allow people to start these type of moronic threads and keep them going? If you cannot control your own board I really want nothing more to do with it.
Smila, please don't leave over this. It really isn't worth it. There are plenty of intelligent people on this forum--and I think the mods are a bit careful for the reasons they ban someone and things haven't escalated to that point with this. There have been cases where people were banned, I assure you. But you seem like a really nice girl and it would be a shame if you stopped coming just because of one person's posts. If he irritates you so much, you can just option to ignore him.

I am done with this Board. Where are the moderators? Do they do anything here? I thought I had found a really nice board where I could enjoy some time discussing books and authors with other intelligent people. This is ridiculous. Why allow people to start these type of moronic threads and keep them going? If you cannot control your own board I really want nothing more to do with it.

Smila - there are no "really nice boards". This is the internet! There are always trolls. There are always "cliques" - even on the www. If that's all it takes for you to leave then maybe it's best if you go. I'd hate to see you do it though, just because of a poster that you don't agree with. Empower yourself, woman. Stand your ground!

Eyez, dude, all you had to say was "It's crap, really"?

It is nice review. Nicer still if I wasn't able to find it elsewhere.

And dude, it wasn't even hard.

ds

Meh. You get my point.

If I were to write a review, it would make your mouth water, therefore I had just browsed over Amazon, and intermingled with others to make a cohesive piece of literature. :D

And for those of you keeping track at home, in addition to routine personal attacks and "abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing" posts, eyez0nme has now also broken the "Copying an entire article(s) from another site and pasting it into your forum post is not allowed" rule in the membership agreement.

I'm starting to think he has pictures of the moderators naked. Or enjoying Stephen King books.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who noticed the expansion of eyez0nme's vocabulary had to come from another source. :rolleyes:

The great classics (the majority of them) are all, male.

Society has changed much in the past 200 years. Women were not able to write novels because of the social view that they were basically inferior to men, others were not given the education that could have cultivated their potential to write. Even Mary Shelley published Frankenstein anonymously at first. I don't want to get into a rant about inequalities here, but in reality women have been struggling against a male dominated society for many years, and this is evident in literate.

If I were to write a review, it would make your mouth water...

Go on then. If you have that confidence why don't you do it?

Don't give her that self-pity. She just wants attention. You wouldn't be sad if you saw me go?

I doubt you would like the answer to that question.

What woman can write better than Edgar Allen Poe, Stephen King, JRR Tolkien, and the host of other master storyteller at this epic-scale? None. Women cannot rise above men because of their constant gossip and secrets; it is difficult for them to be honest and spill their guts on paper. The only book that comes close is a memior called "The Surrender" about a woman who loves anal **** and sodomy.

Isn't that a lovely view into your literary choices?

In my honest opinion, J. R. R. Tolkien isn't all he's cracked up to be. If you want dull, dull minute details aplenty, he's the man. Stephen King isn't all that good either. I've seen that for many people his books are hit-or-miss. I can't say I've read The Surrender, but I don't tend to read many books classified as "erotic memoir". :confused:

The question really isn't on this being a moronic thread, but rather an even handed response from the moderators to a troll who is obviously thriving on riling up people.

Need I remind people that if someone finds a post offensive then they can use the Report Post button and bring it to the attention of the moderators. (They get emailed about it.) If nothing's deemed offensive then as far I can see it's all happy families on the forum.

I guess I am beginning to wonder what it will take for a member to be warned or banned anymore (mrs claus notwithstanding).
It's quite hard to bother where one side makes stupid inconsiderately worded posts and the other half responds by calling him 'fucko' and 'twat' and 'fuckhead' when the membership agreement explicitly states:

3.1 We do encourage lively discussions and debate. Personal attacks against members of the site will not be tolerated. Any person attacking another member of the site will have their post edited, and a warning issued.

Not only does she have panic attacks but also boderline personality disorder. :eek:

Does this qualify as attacking or is it supposed to be funny? Honestly parts of this board are enormously juvenile and should definitely be monitored better. If I wanted to engage in nonsense talk I'd find a forum for junior high students. Although, quite frankly, this is certainly beginning to look like one. If the moderators have decided that making outrageous statements and then supporting them endlessly by insulting others is a fine environment for their board, then so be it. Knock yourselves out. I personally enjoy the company of adults - or mature teens who can converse in a civil manner without resorting to MORONIC (yes, moronic) threads, name calling and useless provocations. I have participated in other boards and must say I find this one very very - well - lazy in confronting and dealing with troublemakers. Its for those reasons I don't wish to participate. I have enough jerks in my life at work that I really do not need to be dealing with them when I am trying to enjoy some leisure time. And sadly, the moderators here let them just go on and on and on. Feh!! Thanks to those very nice people who have been welcoming and kind and took the time to PM and ask me to stay. And shame on you Stewart for being so blind and biased and for participating in this dreck.

And sadly, the moderators here let them just go on and on and on.
They get three chances. As I said, my tolerance for people is obviously a lot greater than yours and I find absolutely nothing wrong with this subject and feel that it could be an interesting discussion if approached. But if you find it offensive then you should report it.
And shame on you Stewart for being so blind and biased and for participating in this dreck.
I am most certainly not blind or biased. I have taken action but I most certainly will not be closing this thread. I'll take all the argumentative crap out of it but I believe there's a discussion to be had here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back