• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

why did you join the book forum?

bobbyburns said:
yeah right, you're about as likely to find an intelligent person here as you are a lesbian in one of those f4f chatrooms.
Do you spend a lot of time looking for them there?

I have a strong interest in cars (more an obsession- seeing as I design and develop them) and Sci Fi. However I also like to read and write- I'm working on a novel, but it's taking time, because I'm so busy. I found the traditional forums dedicated to Cars were nice, and alot of them had similar political views to me but , similar to the people I work with, generally the people weren't as compassionate and sweet and as "in touch" as I would have liked. The Sci Fi forum people and I had some commonalities in terms of creativity and off-the-wall wackyness but I also found a difference in terms of directions in life and priorities, with some being "off-the-planet".

People here can be refreshing , sweet ,compassionate and friendly, which is very welcome. I live alone and, my tasks at work are very goal and target orientated working with people very focused but sometimes lacking depth, imagination and people skills. It's refreshing to come here once in a while- and it is nice to balance my scientific rational side with something that is often more concerned with art and form.

Jenn,
This is an equal-opportuniity post echoing the one I just posted to a similar question by chewlianchillz, now that I have noticed your earlier thread.

Books are what brought me, after recommendation by a friend. I read quite a bit, because I have the time, and I like to talk with congenial people about whatever is of mutual interest.

i have left other forums because the political and religious mudslinging was just out of all bounds. So, even though I am interested in politics and religion, I am glad to see that they are not topics here because I have seen the ignorant and vicious exchanges they can lead to.

I have found this to be a very congenial place, despite the hints I see of rough spots that might have occurred, and I expect I will be here for a long time.

So, the forum is definitely 'on topic' for my interests :)
Nice knowing you all,
Peder

Why did I join? Because I wanted someone to talk about books with. Turns out that I either hate everything that everyone else likes, or I like everything that everyone else hates, leaving me still with no one to talk about books with.

I suppose it doesn't matter so much now that classes have started again - I don't have time for reading much of anything but textbooks.

I guess I enjoy the forum by finding out what other people enjoy in books. I also like to see if many people enjoy the same books/authors as me. I have received some good ideas in reading and have been pleasantly surprised to see many people interested in the same authors as me, especially authors as diverse as Isabel Allende, Louis L'Amour, and James Lee Burke.

I had to come back and edit....I also enjoy the General Chat thread. Most people are very enjoyable, even if some don't like my avatar. :)

Some don't like your avatar?! Who said that! I noticed you'd changed it - is this another of your grandaughter's creations? I think it's awesome - bright and colourful and cheery!

me too. big time. i remember reading this initially and being totally pissed at bobby. ahahhahahhahahahhaha

jenngorham said:
i second kook on the avatar. and man, wierd reading this thread.
Kookamoor said:
Some don't like your avatar?! Who said that! I noticed you'd changed it - is this another of your grandaughter's creations? I think it's awesome - bright and colourful and cheery!
Thank you all. The avatar is just like my grandaughter......"bright and colorful and cheery. :)

I am saving her best for last. The school system in the County in North Carolina where she lives selected 1 drawing from each grade, grades 1 thru 12, and made a school calendar out of the drawings, 1 drawing for each month and selected hers as the best for all the 4th grade classes in the school system. Forgive me for my prideful rant :). I will show it at a later time.

I'm here because, while I have places in which to spout off endlessly about politics and religion, I don't have a wealth of other places where I can talk to people who love books the way I do.

(I have to, blushingly, admit that I belong to a couple of forums where we've driven everybody who doesn't agree with us away. :eek: And, what's more, if left to my own devices, I'd certainly be ranting right now, but I know it's not allowed, so I don't try.)

Probably all for the best.

:rolleyes:

I found TBF while looking for a place to trade writings with other authors. I found the "Writers Showcase", and started reading some stuff there. I started by critiquing other's work, and getting some great critiques of my own work.

Then I was drawn to general chat like a dung beetle to a pile of elephant crap!

Now I spend most of my time arguing with MotoKid, flirting with the ladies, and hijacking perfectly good threads.

I have found the community here to be inviting. Some may think it "cliquey", but I think Peder would agree that the groups here are eager to welcome new members. And you catch up to the inside jokes, and start some of your own, eventually.

I love this place.

I've been with a forum that discusses movies for about two years now, and I was just looking for something a bit different since I have really been getting back into reading.

I come here when I'm looking to buy new books and I'm looking for inspiration, there's always some interesting debate going on.... Though it was TBF that introduced me to Dan Brown for better or worse....

I was looking for a forum which rejoins two of my interests: Books and learning english. So I started google and sought for "book forum".

Back