• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why does crap float to the top?

Wabbit

I was reading the thread asking which are you top five fantasy authors. Oponn has expressed disappointment that Eddings is at the top.

Reading that thread has inspired me to ask this question: Why is it that crap always floats to the top? I mean, why are Eddings and so on at the top? Sell the most? Why is Star Wars episode poo outselling something like Amelie?

So why is it that the quality ( Garcia Marquez, shakespeare, Hemingway, Joyce and so on ) always have the more limited audience?

I have some ideas, but I want to hear all your views :)

In my opinion, it's obvious- the literature and films of high quality can't be understood by many people, because they are made for intelectual elites.

I think (and this is just MHO, so please no flaming), that most people are looking for distraction in their entertainment, be it books, film, music, theater, etc. They want something easy, spoon-fed, that they don't have to think about. There aren't many of us out there that want to think, want to be provoke, moved, challenged, and so on. Therefore, the fast food, the junk, the dross can boast "billions and billions served," and the really good stuff sits on a high shelf in the back of the store waiting for the people who can appreciate it.

Irene Wilde

Lol, like this isn't the most obvious answer ever known to man!!?!?!? Did you really think that the majority of people on this earth let alone this country are intelligent?! Hehe, it's nice if you think so, but it's a dream. I can safely say that a majority of the people I meet are far to stupid to read the likes of the authors you just mentioned. This combined with the fact that because they can't understand it they fail to enjoy it, and perhaps intellectual stimulation in general. Most people seem to be particularly content with the material things of this world, why would they search for spiritual, intellectual, or otherwise enlightenment in of all things a book. Not only does it require patience and time....but repetition to become accustomed to writing styles. But just think if these people did'nt exist, what fun would it be being an elitist :)

In most cases no. There's a difference between simply following the masses because they are the masses, and deciding something on your own that comes out the same as the masses. (Although, often I seem to disagree with majority opinions especially in particular areas.)

There's a difference between simply following the masses because they are the masses, and deciding something on your own that comes out the same as the masses.
And how sure can you be that everyone else just blindly follows the masses?

Cheers

Well doesn't that bring it down to one of two answers.

If the world and so many things are in such bad shape and people don't blindly follow the masses then

1) People are stupid because they evaluate a situation and are obviously doing shitty at it.

or

2) The world and many things in it have been handled as well as possible.

Hmm....I think it's less depressing to say that people are just blind, because if some of these choices are being made with a full evaluation....then we as a species are screwed.

I'm assuming that #2 doesn't come into play, maybe some of you think everything is going fine....I simply disagree on that point if so.

Oh it's not as if I don't see beauty and accomplishments in the world.....but the line of reasoning still stands....lightening up won't change that. The majority of people are stupid until proven otherwise :) Although I must add that I believe it's by choice. It's much easier not to know....

The majority of people are stupid until proven otherwise
Like I said, people are stupid, a person is not. Until proven otherwise.

The glass is half full, man. Half full!

Cheers

It has been proven otherwise....you all but claimed that everyone does follow the masses by accusing even me of doing it?!

Anyway you're running this in circles now.....I believe in very many great qualities inherent in humans...I just think it's obvious that intelligence isn't one of them.

Here, how about this. Every person does have the capability of being intelligent the majority however choose not to embrace this for one reason or another.

I just don't think you can take it farther than this. I mean walk down your street...your city....you really think you will find a smart person more than 1 out of every 2 people. I think in some places you'd be lucky to find one in a hundred.

And I'm not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic. In my life I am actually quite opitimisitc about people until they disappoint me. (which they often do) G'day All! :)

Back