• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why is it so bloody hard ..

can anybody help me out and tell me what other monty python movies are there? i only know the german names...

oh and in the last years i tend to stick to the German comedys... there were two great ones:
Der Schuh des Manitu (kinda western, but hilarious, makes fun of all the american western)
Der Vixxer (kinda sherlock holmes...)

in this movies my tummy hurt so bad from laughing...

I wish you guys could understand Hindi. There are some really good comedy movies in Hindi. The latest one being 'Munnabhai MBBS' - hilarious!

I'll add a few to the mix. A Fish Called Wanda (could be considered an offshoot of Monty P), & My Cousin Vinny.

I agree with the old Pink Panther flicks. Steve Martin is OK, but I dread thinking of anyone redoing Sellers.

My all time favs are still The Marx Brothers though!

RaVeN

There are many great comedies out there, but most of the time there's something else thrown into the mix too.
Zolipara said:
I didnt really like that one. In my opinion its the weakest of the Dogme movies. I prefer "Mifune's last song" and "festen".
I still haven't seen Idioterne, but I love those Dogme movies.
Pigeon said:
Drowning Mona (greatly under-rated)
yet still horrible. ;)

I thought A Fish Called Wanda was hilarious. Also liked This Is Spinal Tap and Election.

Some older comedies:
  • Arsenic and Old Lace - a very young Cary Grant
  • Some Like It Hot - Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis
  • Philadelphia Story - Kate Hepburn, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart -All that snappy dialogue. What's not to love.

*I'm having major deja vu. I could swear we've had this conversation before! Maybe I've just been around here too long.*

For Honeydevil:

And Now For Something Completely Different
The Holy Grail
The Life Of Brian
The Meaning Of Life

Motokid said:
For Honeydevil:

The Holy Grail
The Life Of Brian
The Meaning Of Life

thanks moto and i actually liked the holy grail the best (if it is the one where the police cars come in the end...)

oh and ell... you're right, i love Some Like It Hot... that was cool..

I hereby deem zolipara to be quoted because he is accurate. dark star has always been a hilarious film, and remains such in the future-past.

Zolipara said:
I just remembered another classic:
Dark star.

A low budget movie by John Carpenter. Its hilarious.

Ell said:
I thought A Fish Called Wanda was hilarious. Also liked This Is Spinal Tap and Election.

Some older comedies:
  • Arsenic and Old Lace - a very young Cary Grant
  • Some Like It Hot - Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis
  • Philadelphia Story - Kate Hepburn, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart -All that snappy dialogue. What's not to love.
I haven't seen Election, but you're right about the other ones. Cary Grant's hilarious, by the way.

Motokid said:
Don't listen to Moto, honeydevil. That one's a compilation of sketches, not a movie.

sanyuja said:
I wish you guys could understand Hindi. There are some really good comedy movies in Hindi. The latest one being 'Munnabhai MBBS' - hilarious!
Do you perhaps have some recommendations of movies that might be available in Europe?

lies said:
Do you perhaps have some recommendations of movies that might be available in Europe?
I don't think any of the older movies will be available in Europe.

You can try 'Munnabhai MBBS'! It was released recently and you might get it there. But, watching the same movie with English subtitles is nowhere near to watching it in local Hindi!

There is one movie called 'Pushpak' which you could try. It is a movie with no dialogues, so, its universal -- no langauge barrier there. And its quite funny. But, I doubt if you can get it outside India. Its a pretty old movie. Good one, though.

How could I forget The Toxic Avenger! :D Especially before Melvin becomes the TA and he has his tutu on.

Ah, Monty Python! They are brilliant! Are we going to have another round of Monty Python quotes? :D

Run away! Run away!

Ahem. My contribution to this thread are 2 that I've spoken of before, which are Monty Python and BlackAdder.

There was a really old TV series called Mike Hammer which I thought was bloody funny too...

ds

The running gag in Holy Grail about the swallows kills me every time. "It could grip it by the husk." Speaking of older comedies, I really like "Harvey" with Jimmy Stewart. One of his best roles IMO.

I also have a soft spot for "Galaxy Quest." I know, I know...

Is it an African swallow, though, pwilson?

I like Galaxy Quest too... Sigourney Weaver's character was funny esp at the end where her clothes were all torn up, but Tim Allen was hilarious.

ds

Back