• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why is reading 'dorky'?

Fistandantilus said:
do the smiles :)D ) imply seriousness?

The similies help us show emotions since we can't see eachother's facial expressions or hear voice tones. They help soften a remark that looks serious, into a mere poke in the ribs, or joke. It's too bad there aren't some more options than the few we have, but they'll do.

abecedarian said:
The similies help us show emotions since we can't see eachother's facial expressions or hear voice tones. They help soften a remark that looks serious, into a mere poke in the ribs, or joke. It's too bad there aren't some more options than the few we have, but they'll do.

I am aware of that. The post above was a sarcastic/rhetorical question. I wasnt actually asking you- i would have to be pretty dumb to think that a big wide grin implied seriousness :D You said: "soften a remark that looks serious" theat is exactly the purpose I used them for earlier, yet you took me seriously. :D

Fistandantilus said:
I am aware of that. The post above was a sarcastic/rhetorical question. I wasnt actually asking you- i would have to be pretty dumb to think that a big wide grin implied seriousness :D You said: "soften a remark that looks serious" theat is exactly the purpose I used them for earlier, yet you took me seriously. :D

ooops! I promise to never take you seriously again:D Better? ;)
Maybe I'll go take a nap...

abecedarian said:
ooops! I promise to never take you seriously again:D Better? ;)
Maybe I'll go take a nap...

Hey! I almost fell for that! (authough that might be a good idea :D, just dont take me seriously when I use smiles!)

Fistandantilus said:
Hey! I almost fell for that! (authough that might be a good idea :D, just dont take me seriously when I use smiles!)

I think the reason for the mix up is because I took my cue from CDA who was taking you seriously about the youngun thing. But seriously, the monitor is getting blurry, so maybe I DO need that nap after all;)

I do apologise if my comments have caused any kind of trouble. I guess i was a bit miffed when I was in fact trying to compliment Fisty on being an advanced anough reader to enjoy HHGTTG. For me, smilies are sometimes irrelevant.

What say we put the whole thing to bed and forget it?

CDA said:
I do apologise if my comments have caused any kind of trouble. I guess i was a bit miffed when I was in fact trying to compliment Fisty on being an advanced anough reader to enjoy HHGTTG. For me, smilies are sometimes irrelevant.

What say we put the whole thing to bed and forget it?

indeed. thankyou for the compliment. I mostly ignore smiles too.

Fistandantilus said:
maybe you do. I know I need to sleep when my left eye stars to droop and i cant keepit open- that happens at about 3.30 am.

What's really sad is it is only 2:17 pm here..I slept well last night, I shouldn't need afternoon naps! Oh no, I've turned into my mother:eek: :eek: :eek:

abecedarian said:
What's really sad is it is only 2:17 pm here..I slept well last night, I shouldn't need afternoon naps! Oh no, I've turned into my mother:eek: :eek: :eek:

That's old age for ya! I once said i would NEVER nap in the afternoon like a sad old man. Now i do it all the time.....

Smilies confuse me a lot. Often I read a clearly facetious comment and the poster put a big fat smiley on the end. It comes across like backslapping snakeoil salesman a lot of the time. But I take words at their meaning.

Why, in all the hundreds of years of written communication in English, did we not need smilies? I think it's because words are enough to convey any meaning.

At least these similies make sense. I've seen some that I would never use just because I had no idea what I would be saying if I did!

novella said:
Smilies confuse me a lot. Often I read a clearly facetious comment and the poster put a big fat smiley on the end. It comes across like backslapping snakeoil salesman a lot of the time. But I take words at their meaning.

same here. I think I should stop using them all together - I dont know why I bother, really. Im off to discuss politics with the cat that has walked into my room, Lilly.

novella said:
Why, in all the hundreds of years of written communication in English, did we not need smilies? I think it's because words are enough to convey any meaning.
I must disagree. Words are not enough. There is so much more to communication than just words. I can communicate with no words at all (a certain look in church makes my rowdy children sit still), and I can take the exact same words, and by using different tone of voice, inflection and/or body language say completely different things. In this written form of communication, we (very big generalization here), in our zeal for instant gratification, use smilies to soften words that, due to the lack of all the non-written cues, may be misconstrued, add emphasis and help to convey other emotions that we are too lazy to express in words. No, we don't need smilies but I think they serve a purpose

i guess it has to do with reading being forced upon students.

it depends what type of classes you take i suppose. i started carrying around a book again, therefore reading a lot more. i think ppl who read are more interesting and intellectual, or at least look like it.

People who read for pleasure ARE interesting to talk to. They usually have more than one topic of interest and can discuss just about anything.T The really fun ones are the folks who read widely and yet acknowledge that they don't know it all.[That's WHY they read in the first place]. Know it alls are bores. But it seems so ironic to notice folks who label readers as "dorks" are non readers who by the very act of labeling us, are placing themselves in the "know it all category." So who is the dork in these situations? Gotta go, wanna read...

But it seems so ironic to notice folks who label readers as "dorks" are non readers who by the very act of labeling us, are placing themselves in the "know it all category." So who is the dork in these situations? Gotta go, wanna read...

I've noticed this a lot in the school setting. We have kids who can hang with most adults when it comes to discussing certain authors and philosophies. Those who do the negative finger-pointing are barely literate.:rolleyes:

Back