• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why law WILL fail

I totally agree that punishment would be more effective and also more human if the prisoner were brought under detention to be set under resocialization treatment.
(..Part of quote clipped...)
The perfect way to submit a criminal to resocialization, so he would be “taught” how to behave in a post modern society, is a very hard thing to determinate. That makes your attempt to give coherence to your theory even harder. Besides, the punishment concepts varies according each type of state it’s applied. For some wise jurists among the History, the punishment is a necessary ill.
(..More clipped...)
Then I ask you: can you create the project of a system that would be better and different from the law we already have?
Punishment is what we need to STOP doing. We can't punish because we have no devine authority to set restrictions on actions. Instead, justice should protecting the many members of society by confining the few and trying to rehabilitate them.

So for your question, the system creates itself rooted on the solid foundation that we set for it. Tort law is a proven model to emulate. There the court actually is a nuetral third party between the two sides of a contractual dispute. So, because we want our civil justice to work similarly, we need to have a member or members of the protected people seated on the other side of the court. For example...

A community group has ratified the previous 'laws', as protections they want and that includes the school zone speed limit. The police catch a speeder and they issue him with a citation--it's not a demand for bribe money to the greedy government, but rather a summons to attend court. The police quickly investigate by noting the time, road conditions and other contributing info. The court sees the case...

The comunity group says why they feel the limit is just, and the speeder states why he felt justified in exceeding the guideline. The judge balances the threat versus the speeder's rights and measures are applied. Perhaps the judge will order that under the circumstances, only a warning need be applied, but it might be harsher and what the neighborhood people think appropriate--not a monetary fine, but maybe a requirement to help at a school crossing until he realizes what his speed could've cost. If he refuses, then a different form of action may be required, up to and including having his vehicle impounded or jail.

The process of doing justice would evolve as courts started doing the job right and even the rehabilitation measures would be refined as the system found what worked best--in each different area.

Maybe though, a percentage of speeders would've just stopped speeding with the change in justice--because there was now no law to flount.

Here is an addendum to the speeding scenario. What if the police investigation and/or the defense show the reason for speeding there is a set of lights on a very long timer at the block’s end. People speed to make the green or the yellow. The judge might order the speeder to work the crosswalk, and order the city to install a needed sensor. The result of the citation/court episode is a safer street for the kids.

That’s what justice could and should be. I could give a hundred true examples of how law IS but shouldn’t be.

nyse, I’m very sorry to say that you will never make it to formulate a thing we call “theory” if you continue doing this; you keep saying law is bad and why and you don’t--really, you just don’t--present a new system to replace law with. So your ideas are nothing more then a complain. You will never get the credit for writing something many have already say, which is that law is bad. So unfortunately this thread, which were supposed to be one of the most interesting I’ve ever seen, is becoming kind of annoying. A disappointing thing, really. You always say the same thing you’ve repeated in other previous posts, but using different words. You do not justify what you say and you did not design a new system to replace law with, as we are going to see.

Punishment is what we need to STOP doing. We can't punish because we have no devine authority to set restrictions on actions. Instead, justice should protecting the many members of society by confining the few and trying to rehabilitate them.

Here is the repetition of your ideas. There’s nothing bad in starting your post making an abstract of your ideals, but once you do not add new arguments it’s then worthless.

So lets skip to the system to replace law with you’ve proposed:

So for your question, the system creates itself rooted on the solid foundation that we set for it. Tort law is a proven model to emulate. There the court actually is a nuetral third party between the two sides of a contractual dispute.

So, because we want our civil justice to work similarly, we need to have a member or members of the protected people seated on the other side of the court. For example...

A community group has ratified the previous 'laws', as protections they want and that includes the school zone speed limit. The police catch a speeder and they issue him with a citation--it's not a demand for bribe money to the greedy government, but rather a summons to attend court. The police quickly investigate by noting the time, road conditions and other contributing info. The court sees the case...

The comunity group says why they feel the limit is just, and the speeder states why he felt justified in exceeding the guideline. The judge balances the threat versus the speeder's rights and measures are applied. Perhaps the judge will order that under the circumstances, only a warning need be applied, but it might be harsher and what the neighborhood people think appropriate--not a monetary fine, but maybe a requirement to help at a school crossing until he realizes what his speed could've cost. If he refuses, then a different form of action may be required, up to and including having his vehicle impounded or jail.

The process of doing justice would evolve as courts started doing the job right and even the rehabilitation measures would be refined as the system found what worked best--in each different area.

Maybe though, a percentage of speeders would've just stopped speeding with the change in justice--because there was now no law to flount.

There is nothing new about it.

If such system were implanted, law would not be abolished. I explained in the other post what “law” means and you know that law is not called law only because it’s written somewhere. I’m not going to repeat it. You’ve just ignored this legal concept to make the statement above. All that organization would require is the law to be changed, not to be abolished. So I think now you have realized that to “abolish law” is an achievement maybe as hard as it seems impossible. This is something you had the intellectual basis to understand, since you’ve read many posts by me and by the other people from the forums that also disagree with you.

And if I say there is nothing new about such “new” system of yours, it’s because--in addition to the fact that it would not require the abolition of the law, but the production of new laws, as I said above--you have not created a mode to avoid the actual legal situation that you complain so much.

You’ve said “So, because we want our civil justice to work similarly, we need to have a member or members of the protected people seated on the other side of the court”. I presume that with “protected people” you mean those who were never condemned for any crime, the free people. OK. Let’s continue. In the actual world we live, these so called “members of the protected people” are the judges and the jury. They were created with the same intention that inspires you to create this system with “members of the protected people” presiding the trials.

I was surprised when you said that in this new system of yours, “A community group has ratified the previous 'laws', as protections they want and that includes the school zone speed limit”. In the actual world we live, law already is created by the people as protections they want. The only difference in your proposal is that instead of the people creating the law as a whole state, district or city, the law would be created by a minor number of people, that you call “a community group”. So what difference do you think it would make? By the way, actually it's the people that creates the law, but in an indirect way: they choose their representatives in the parliament so they create the law observing the people’s will. That’s what should happen in theory, but of course it doesn’t happen always, due to political and sociological factors--like the practice of lobbies by some and means of mass ideological manipulation by others, etc.--but not due to the law itself. The law is not the problem, it was created by the people and if the law is bad, it’s because the people was not successful in creating (directly or indirectly) a law that would work for their interests, not for the interest of others. So this “community groups” thing would make no difference. If you split the Vancouver population in many small groups, called “community groups” or whatever else, to put in practice this new system of yours, nothing would be improved concerning the justice. Just like as a huge amount of individuals are susceptible to fail in creating good laws for their interests because of such issues I’ve exampled, a smaller “community group” is by the same reason susceptible to fail, due to the same issues, which could be characterized as within or outside this small group. I don’t understand why you think it would be something new if “The process of doing justice would evolve as courts started doing the job right and even the rehabilitation measures would be refined as the system found what worked best--in each different area.”. This already happens and the only difference between the reality and such proposal of yours is the scale the legislative process would cover. All you would be doing was to split the legislative competence.

Nothing would really change if the other factors that result in this actual legal situation that you complain were forgotten. Unfortunately you are forgetting such factors. And what are these factors?? Again, I’ll say: the social factors! I’ve already talked about it and you seem to just ignore it. But it’s a fact, you can not leave it aside. That’s why your ideas have no coherence. See, in a small text like this one it’s possible to point critical incoherencies in your thoughts. Why? Because you are trying to solve a problem with the wrong means. If you want to improve the people’s life quality you must work on the social and political ills that stains the societies. Abolishing law is not only impossible if you want to maintain any order. This new system of yours is a sort of order. So don’t you think about abolishing law. By the way, don’t think about law at all, at least by now. You must firstly focus in the social situation. The law is a reflex of the society’s situation, not the contrary. So don’t you--as people say in my land--try to put the cart to draw the horse.

You still have not designed a new system to replace law with. Your theory is not a theory. It’s just a complain. A thought must be coherent and justify itself for be called “theory”. I’m sorry if I’m being arrogant. I don’t intent to be such thing, and I usually am not. But I must be honest with you and point the two genres of mistakes you are performing: one is to develop such incoherent ideas; and the other is to continue affirming them without working on to improve its logic. Maybe I’ll be the only who is going to be so sincere. But I’ll certainly not be the only one to see your mistakes. So instead of eventually becoming angry with me, take my words as a tip. I myself had to give up in some thesis during academic life once I realized they were incoherent. Everyone knows the Socrates’ proverb “I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance”. It means that a wise guy who is really wise is always working to improve his knowledge. And by abandoning an idea that he realized its wrong or unwise, he will not be playing an ignorant, but we will actually be improving his knowledge and become even more wise. In the magistrate there are examples of judges that follow a jurisprudence that is illegal or bad and once they realize it’s harmful and its incoherence with law, they still keep applying the same jurisprudential option because they fear to admit they were wrong. And surely this will not make them right, but wrong in the worst way.

nyse, I’m very sorry to say that you will never make it to formulate a thing we call “theory” if you continue doing this; you keep saying law is bad and why and you don’t--really, you just don’t--present a new system to replace law with.
I would like to discuss the nuts and bolts of a better system, but I can't do it with you while you're focused only on trying to protect 'law'.

Reading back, I think the key to your stance and verbose posts can be found in this clip "I (and all other law students..." Are you in fact a law student as this quote implies? If so, I suppose you want to protect the grossly high future earnings in your chosen career.

In your lengthy posts, you've waltzed around the issues but you've not directly answered the charges I've leveled against the law. For instance, you said "Immanuel Kant and Friedrich Hegel believed that the punishment was necessary". These two gentlemen lived 200 years ago. Law has run a long sordid course since, and their views don't have any relevance to my assertion that Law and society have NO RIGHT to punish at all.
Abolishing law is not only impossible if you want to maintain any order. This new system of yours is a sort of order. So don’t you think about abolishing law. By the way, don’t think about law at all, at least by now. You must firstly focus in the social situation. The law is a reflex of the society’s situation, not the contrary. So don’t you--as people say in my land--try to put the cart to draw the horse.
That is absolutely wrong and illogical thinking. The societal situation is CAUSED by the wrongness of law's basic (sophist) theory.

If you want to discuss this matter with me, then please get on the same page and don't try to blow me over whith great gusts of hot air.

Sorry Nyse, but I'm with Bookworm. Your theories are all well and good in Utopia, but that's just not realistic. I would recommend that you give Lord of the Flies a read. If you think that book isn't realistic, go visit your local elementary school at recess.

If you were interested in brainstorming for a new justice system, you really should have said so. You led us to believe that you had this revolutionary new plan all worked out and you hoped that Law will crumble any day now. I'm still interested in hearing plausible theories, but the only thing you've suggested is to update some laws, get rid of others and change what we call the system. There's nothing new here, it's called Reform... happens every century or so.

I do beg to differ that law and society should have the right to punish. When it's proven that an individual has committed a crime, it is the society's duty to right the wrong. Obviously no punishment will make up for the loss of a loved one, but the offender must pay for his crimes.

Sorry Nyse, but I'm with Bookworm. Your theories are all well and good in Utopia, but that's just not realistic. I would recommend that you give Lord of the Flies a read. If you think that book isn't realistic, go visit your local elementary school at recess.
I've read Lord of the Flies, and Animal Farm, but I'm disappointed because I thought you understood my basic concept.

Suppose that you hold a piece of plastic wrap in front of your face, and call it the law. Then, I poke my finger into your eye. You scream in pain, but I can argue that I didn't do it to you--the law did. I only jabbed my finger into the law, which pushed the law (the plastic film around my fingertip)into your eye. The law then agrees with my rationalization, by charging me with hurting the law (when I bent it into your eye), even though it sprung back into shape when I pulled my finger back. That utterly rediculous concept is why the idea of law is STUPID and harmful to society.

If you were interested in brainstorming for a new justice system, you really should have said so. You led us to believe that you had this revolutionary new plan all worked out and you hoped that Law will crumble any day now. I'm still interested in hearing plausible theories, but the only thing you've suggested is to update some laws, get rid of others and change what we call the system. There's nothing new here, it's called Reform... happens every century or so.
That is precisely what I DO want to do, but the first step in brainstorming that new concept--which DOES work in my theory, is getting rid of the Saran Wrap Concept that law is resting on.

I do beg to differ that law and society should have the right to punish. When it's proven that an individual has committed a crime, it is the society's duty to right the wrong. Obviously no punishment will make up for the loss of a loved one, but the offender must pay for his crimes.
Society MUST do something[/I/ to offenders. I fully agree with that. However, once we've gotten rid of the 'law' concept, then the 'punishment' justification disappears with it. That's fine, because society DOES have the right to protect people and that can be accomplished by using many of the same principles that punishment uses--but better.

I would like to discuss the nuts and bolts of a better system, but I can't do it with you while you're focused only on trying to protect 'law'.

Reading back, I think the key to your stance and verbose posts can be found in this clip "I (and all other law students..." Are you in fact a law student as this quote implies? If so, I suppose you want to protect the grossly high future earnings in your chosen career.

In your lengthy posts, you've waltzed around the issues but you've not directly answered the charges I've leveled against the law. For instance, you said "Immanuel Kant and Friedrich Hegel believed that the punishment was necessary". These two gentlemen lived 200 years ago. Law has run a long sordid course since, and their views don't have any relevance to my assertion that Law and society have NO RIGHT to punish at all.

That is absolutely wrong and illogical thinking. The societal situation is CAUSED by the wrongness of law's basic (sophist) theory.

If you want to discuss this matter with me, then please get on the same page and don't try to blow me over whith great gusts of hot air.

:rolleyes:

Suppose that you hold a piece of plastic wrap in front of your face, and call it the law.

Wait, I thought law was a banana? Now it's clingfilm?

...Can we wrap the banana in clingfilm to keep the squirrels away?

I don't. Dead things aren't usually that capable of realising anything. Plus the act of realisation would require a brain, and headless chickens don't normally have those. Plus the law doesn't have any legs or feathers.

I don't. Dead things aren't usually that capable of realising anything. Plus the act of realisation would require a brain, and headless chickens don't normally have those. Plus the law doesn't have any legs or feathers.

Oh Litany! :D

1. While firmly asserting that you are ‘free’, you allow law to treat you as a ‘slave’ with rules and punishments.

In order to have more freedom, you have to give up "lesser" ones. I may be free by myself in a jungle, but without mutual cooperation, I would die of a burst appendix or through starvation since no one else would be around to help gather food. On a more realistic level, I lose the "right" to drive 100 mph on the free way. But by giving up that "right," my life and liberties are also protected in that others can't. If they do and I get injured, then I can seek due recourse.:cool:

2. While trusting in the law ‘protecting’ people, you’re willing to turn a blind eye to law only really protecting its own sanctity.

Say wahhhhh?

3. Amid the growing unrest, increasing violence, and rising crime, you desperately trust in the law’s ability to reverse the trend—when it hasn’t even able to keep lawlessness in check in the first place.

I would be curious to hear how this would be the case. Are you talking about cases being tossed out due to technicalities?

1. People in general are becoming ever more disdainful of the police, the authority, and the law. You may refuse to examine my cited cause as being because of the ‘serfdom’ inherent in the law’s theory, but what other possible causes are there?

False dilemma

2. Sociopaths (or lawopaths) now amount to 5% of the population (according to Beer_Wench and I’m not quibbling). Under the law, trying to ‘crack down’ on these can only be accomplished by installing sterner law enforcement on the other 95% as well. That will only cause the percentage to increase as the police state shoves more people over the lawopathic brink.

Ditto

3. Law has encouraged and supported a world where the greedy are making life to expensive for the needy to live in (non-law justice would reverse that by putting people first). Law has enabled an unjust court system where money buys the verdicts and people will reach a boiling point. Remember the Rodney King case?

Rodney King was high on PCP and tried to trade blows with the police. If anyone got a privileged ride, it was him. He's also had some interesting run ins with the law in subsequent years.

5. Most (or all) people DON’T feel that the law applies to them (hence the opinion that they aren’t a slave to it). Many support the law only in hopes that it applies to OTHER PEOPLE, and because it allows society to punish—whereas they don’t have that right singularly.

I doubt if that's the case. There are many people who let their kid stay the night in jail if he/she gets cuffed for disturbing the peace or some other crime.

Julius Cesar crossed the Rubicon, though he knew it was breaking the law. There are times when previously accepted concepts must be questioned and this is one of them. To address our social ills and move into our future, justice must cross the Rubicon.

Disobeying laws for the sake of a social cause is one thing,to do so for any other reason is pure selfishness and shouldn't be tolerated.

Perhaps you can explain to me how a "no law" system would work? What would happen if you had a young woman who pulled a gun on a store owner? How about if juveniles assaulted a pedestrian who was just minding their own business? Would punishing them constitute "unfairness" in some way? The left-wing claptrap is really unrealistic, age is a great way to overcome it.:D

Perhaps you can explain to me how a "no law" system would work?

I don't think so. I've seen this scene before.

It's great that people have interesting ideas sporadically. I myself have it all the time and I recommend such thinkers to work out their thoughts, doing fruitful researches in the Internet, books, or any font alike, so they will be able to understand their own ideas and constate if they make sense. If not, I'm sure it was not a waste of time. The mankind does it since the ancient times. Basically that is how science was and still is being created: the scientist 1) Define the question; 2) Gather information and resources (observe); 3) then he Forms his hypothesis; the next step consists in 4) Performing experiments and collecting data; what enables him to go to the next one which is 5) to Analyse this data; then it's time to 6) Interpret such data and draw conclusions that will serve as a starting point for new hypothesis; so he will finally 7) Publish the the results. This last step is the one in which all this work will be retested (frequently done by other scientists). Of course this is not an invention of mine. As an academic, I've studied it and, if it would be opportune, here is an example of academic material related: Crawford S, Stucki L (1990), "Peer review and the changing research record", "J Am Soc Info Science", vol. 41, pp 223-228. That book is quoted in an online article and I don't know for sure if it's OK to cit it in here. But, as I said, the mankind has the inborn characteristic of being curious. Many discussions we see in forums, like this one about "Why law will fail", consist in a similar procedure, really. If we replace the word "scientist" by "curious individual" or "layman", and even thought the steps above could not be followed in this exact schedule, yet there will be in this kind of investigation many details that are very similar to the scientific methode's.

Well, our mate nyse, as any human, found a theme, an issue, which interferes in his life, what made him interested in understanding it so he could solve it or at least design a way to do so. So far, so good. I'd say he accomplished all the seven steps of a scientific method. But in the retesting leg he seem not to have accepted the fact that he was wrong, or that someone did not agree with him. It's OK to be wrong. Everyone is subject to make a mistake. And it's also usual not to agree with someone's opinions. Now, it's not plausible to move the subject of a conversation to the personal sphere. And, continuing, it's bizarre to realise you're wrong and keep saying the same thing--a thing that you no more agree with--only not to have to admit you were wrong once. Oh, this is also of human, unfortunately. When one don't agrees with what he's saying, the only thing he can do to keep such argumentation is to appeal to the personal matters. And that was exactly what I've seen:

Think with me about his quoted post, SFG75. If I had not directly answered "charges" against the law (and I think I had), what about pointing the unanswered ones? And still in this line, If the two gentlemen lived about 200 years ago (it's not that much, actually) and the societies had changed so much that their theories would be no more applicable, why not to point such changes? Analysing them would be even more appropriate... If the time they lived makes their writings irrelevant, who argues it is maintaining an as well irrelevant point if he can't explain the implications of such changes. Oh, but it's too boring to engage in these subjects, isn't it? Hum... If it's boring for one, he don't have to engage in it. But I'd say consequently he should not give hunches.

By leaving aside the factual and scientific matters for condemning personal points like the fact "I'm a law student"--what I obviously am, concerning this is shown in my profile since the very first day I joined this forum--, well, this is an ordinary way to get ride of the facts, by hiding behind critiques to my personal characteristics. And the most curious thing is that my personal data is exposed as it was something that I should be ashamed of. When, in a conversation, the subject matter becomes less important than the interlocutors, or in other words, when someone's opinion is more or less relevant due to his/her career, so what's the point of keeping such conversation? None! The subject matter was its objective: once it is left aside, the conversation becomes a meanless competition. I always realise when I was able to express my point, and I also know when the readers were able to understand it. They don't have to agree with me--despite my point seem to be closer to the other interlocutors' in this particular tread. Verbosely or not, I write clearly. Content is always more important than form. And if both are satisfiable, oh, mate, that's even better.

Well, our mate nyse, as any human, found a theme, an issue, which interferes in his life, what made him interested in understanding it so he could solve it or at least design a way to do so. So far, so good. I'd say he accomplished all the seven steps of a scientific method. But in the retesting leg he seem not to have accepted the fact that he was wrong, or that someone did not agree with him. It's OK to be wrong. Everyone is subject to make a mistake. And it's also usual not to agree with someone's opinions. Now, it's not plausible to move the subject of a conversation to the personal sphere. And, continuing, it's bizarre to realise you're wrong and keep saying the same thing--a thing that you no more agree with--only not to have to admit you were wrong once. Oh, this is also of human, unfortunately. When one don't agrees with what he's saying, the only thing he can do to keep such argumentation is to appeal to the personal matters. And that was exactly what I've seen:

As much as I do find Nyse's assertions flawed, I do like the topic of law in general, not to mention reform. It isn't perfect and there are a variety of ways to reform the system, but those efforts would take time and money, something that in America, we value, but don't necessarily want to pay for. I'd like to see the rate of pay for jurors increase, not to mention a greater inculcation of the notion of civic duty and serving on a jury. I don't believe that we do enough in that regard. One big reform that would be down Nyse's alley would be the concept of jury nullification. In it, a jury could actually determine if the law a person was charged with was constitutional or discriminatory against that person. I would like to see that implemented, but not much more beyond that.

They don't have to agree with me--despite my point seem to be closer to the other interlocutors' in this particular tread. Verbosely or not, I write clearly. Content is always more important than form. And if both are satisfiable, oh, mate, that's even better.

An excellent point, I liked reading the exchange personally, something that we are missing more and more here. It's nice to have a topic along these lines as opposed to what annoys a person.

Back