• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Widening my taste in books

cabrasopa

Since joining TBF in March 2005 i have broadened my taste in authors and i've started to read books i never would have a few months ago. Most recommended by other members and some just browsing the internet and bookshops.

Just a few on my list are..

Electric Michelangelo by Sarah Hall
Blindness by Jose Saramego
A Short History of tractors in Ukranian by Marina Lewycka
Not the end of the world by Geraldine Mccaughrean
The Last Crossing by Guy Vanderhaeghe
Under the Banner of heaven by Jon Krakauer
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Days Between Stations by Steve Erickson
Everything by Haruki Murakami

Keep the recommendations coming

Has anyone else found thiemselves reading something they normally wouldn't ??

Cabrasopa :cool:

Me.

I think I'm reading stuff that I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole before coming here.

That used to be autobiography. But I just bought My Life by Bill Clinton, and actually have an intention to read it too.

I suppose this is the added value of a forum of like-minded book lovers. Not only do you get reading recommendations for genres that you already like, it gives you the opportunity to expand your field of view to encompass what others think is interesting. And ultimately experience them yourself.

ds

Oh, yes! Since joining the forum I've read stuff I wouldn't have even known existed. I read stuff I thought I wouldn't like, but ended up having much food for thought. I used to read mostly trashy romances and murder mysteries. I still love murder mysteries, but can't stand trashy romances anymore. When several people rave over a book that is outside my comfort zone, I tend to give it a shot, thinking, apparently there is something to it. Know what I mean?

I think being part of TBF will expand my reading horizons. Even though I read across genres, there are still a lot of books that I probably pass over but may otherwise enjoy reading.

I would love to be able to site down and read book after book. But school takes up most of my time that I just collapse to bed nowadays. It's so sad because when participating in this forum I've barely read any of the books due to lack of time. And the thing I can't do is go and read the book!! :(

Most of the new stuff I've read has been at Martin's recommendation and I've been very impressed so far.

I have tried out some new stuff, but I tend to be fairly adventurous with my reading anyway.

Wow, that's really amazed me:
"A Short History of tractors in Ukranian by Marina Lewycka"
What's this???

Too bad I can read only in metro, app. 2 hours a day...

Sergo said:
Wow, that's really amazed me:
"A Short History of tractors in Ukranian by Marina Lewycka"
What's this???

Too bad I can read only in metro, app. 2 hours a day...

Hi Sergo, here's a synopsis

For years, Nadezhda and Vera, two Ukrainian sisters, raised in England by their refugee parents, have had as little as possible to do with each other - and they have their reasons. But now they find they'd better learn how to get along, because since their mother's death their aging father has been sliding into his second childhood, and an alarming new woman has just entered his life. Valentina, a bosomy young synthetic blonde from the Ukraine, seems to think their father is much richer than he is, and she is keen that he leave this world with as little money to his name as possible. If Nadazhda and Vera don't stop her, no one will. But separating their addled and annoyingly lecherous dad from his new love will prove to be no easy feat - Valentina is a ruthless pro and the two sisters swiftly realize that they are mere amateurs when it comes to ruthlessness. As Hurricane Valentina turns the family house upside down, old secrets come falling out, including the most deeply buried one of them all, from the War, the one that explains much about why Nadazhda and Vera are so different.

In the meantime, oblivious to it all, their father carries on with the great work of his dotage, a grand history of the tractor.

cabrasopa said:
Hi Sergo, here's a synopsis

For years, Nadezhda and Vera, two Ukrainian sisters, raised in England by their refugee parents, have had as little as possible to do with each other - and they have their reasons. But now they find they'd better learn how to get along, because since their mother's death their aging father has been sliding into his second childhood, and an alarming new woman has just entered his life. Valentina, a bosomy young synthetic blonde from the Ukraine, seems to think their father is much richer than he is, and she is keen that he leave this world with as little money to his name as possible. If Nadazhda and Vera don't stop her, no one will. But separating their addled and annoyingly lecherous dad from his new love will prove to be no easy feat - Valentina is a ruthless pro and the two sisters swiftly realize that they are mere amateurs when it comes to ruthlessness. As Hurricane Valentina turns the family house upside down, old secrets come falling out, including the most deeply buried one of them all, from the War, the one that explains much about why Nadazhda and Vera are so different.

In the meantime, oblivious to it all, their father carries on with the great work of his dotage, a grand history of the tractor.

Wow... That's really a strange story... So, did they succeed against Valentina after all? (And I expect one of the two girls was really daughter of a person who had been killed by the father, or something like that... )

cabrasopa said:
Has anyone else found thiemselves reading something they normally wouldn't ??

Where would I begin?

I'm new here, but other forums I've participated in have led me to writers I'd probably have not known of.

The Cult, where I initially went just for the writers workshop angle, hasled me to:

'The Contortionist's Handbook' by Craig Clevenger
'How to Lose Friends and Alienate People' by Toby Young
'Syrup' and 'Jennifer Government' by Max Barry
'The Pugilist at Rest' by Thom Jones
'The Coma' by Alex Garland
'A Confederacy of Dunces' by John Kennedy Toole
'The Monkey Wrench Gang' by Edward Abbey
'The Ice at the Bottom of the World' by Mark Richard
'Underworld,' 'Cosmopolis,' and 'The Body Artist' by Don DeLillo

The Velvet, where I ended up after fellow Cult members recommended Will Christopher Baer to me has led me to:

'Kiss Me, Judas,' 'Penny Dreadful,' and 'Hell's Half Acre' by WCB.
Plus:
'All The Beautiful Sinners' by Stephen Graham Jones
'Identity Theory' by Peter Temple
'The Anomalies' and 'Torture the Artist' by Joey Goebel

A fellow I met on the Cult forums sent me:
'The Stories of John Cheever' (which led me to 'The Wapshot Chronicle')
'Where I'm Calling From,' selected stories of Raymond Carver. I had already read the title track somewhere, but hadn't remembered the name of the author.
The same fellow turned me onto Joyce Carol Oates ('Middle Age,' 'We Were the Mulvaneys,' 'American Appetetites,' 'I'll Take You There').

Subscriptions to literary magazines like The Paris Review have led me to:

'Reasons to Live,' 'At the Gates of the Animal Kingdom,' 'Tumble Home,' and 'The Dog of Marriage' by Amy Hempel
'Motherless Brooklyn,' and 'The Fortress of Solitude' by Jonathan Lethem
'Being Dead' by Jim Crace
'The Voyage of the Narwhal' by Andrea Barrett
Paris Review is also where I read 'The Final Solution,' by Michael Chabon around the time that:

A friend of mine loaned me:
'Middlesex' by Jeffrey Eugenides
'The Adventures of Kavalier & Clay' by Michael Chabon, which led to me reading 'Mysteries of Pittsburgh' and 'Summerland.'

Finally, I used to take the Oprah endorsement as an 'avoid this book' sticker. Then I caught an interview with Toni Morrison, and read 'The Bluest Eye' despite the Opra Book Club sticker. That led me to 'Sula,' 'Paradise,' 'Beloved,' and 'Jazz,' by the same author.

So much for ruling out a book because Oprah's club picked it.

Random recommendations have led me to:
'Herzog' by Saul Bellow
'The Pleasure of My Company' and 'Shopgirl' by Steve Martin
'American Pastoral,' 'The Ghost Writer,' 'Portnoy's Complaint,' 'The Anatomy Lesson,' 'Zuckerman Unbound,' 'I Married a Communist,' 'The Human Stain,' and 'The Prague Orgy' by Philip Roth
'The Good Soldier Švejk' by Jaroslav Hašek

And perhaps most out of character for me... 'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Seybold, which I'm about half way through...

I can't say 100% of the above are books I'd recommend. The Hašek is one to take in doses, as he badly needed editing (he died before it's completion), plus it's a translation. I struggled to maintain interest in the Barrett book, and while I wasn't that thrilled with 'The Anomalies,' Joey Goebel's second book, 'Torture the Artist' was a ton of fun. There are, likewise, peaks and valleys in Will Christopher Baer's stuff, and I think I like 'Penny Dreadful' best of the three by a wide margin.

Oh, come to think of it, speaking of WCB, reading the Phineas Poe books made me track down some Raymond Chandler, so 'The Big Sleep' and 'The Long Goodbye,' and 'Farewell, My Lovely.'

Did I answer the question?

I've been introduced to quite a few authors by coming here. Most have been successful meetings. Eco and Auster for example. Authors discovered in forums I still haven't explored include:

Philip Roth
Don Delillo
Mark Danielewski
Thomas Pynchon
Haruki Murakami
David Foster Wallace

Who have you found here that would not have found otherwise? Who do you want to check out that you would not know of to check out otherwise?

The name "Nabokov" springs to mind. The constant bullying of some people here made me give "Lolita" an honest chance, and I can't thank them enough for that.

Probably wouldn't have gotten around to reading Monica Ali's "Brick Lane", Natsuo Kirino's "Out" or Ian McEwan's "Saturday" if not for the recommendations by people here. Didn't fall madly in love with either, but they were good reads.

Among authors to check out, I've gotten curious about this Richard Dawkins fellow.

Let's see..my list could take awhile! Particularly in the last 12 months, I've read authors I never thought I would, thanks to this forum and a couple of others..My list might go something like this:

Umberto Eco
Vladimir Nabakov
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Halldor Laxness
Ismael Kadare
Boris Akunin
Ivan Klima
Paul Auster
David Adams Richards
Yukio Mishima
Roddy Doyle
Tim Winton
Neil Gaiman
Chinua Achebe
Knut Hamsun
Rani Monicka
Kamilla Shamsie
Willa Cather
John Steinbeck

That's just the list for the last year. I have plans to get around to Farley Mowatt soon, and am trying to figure out how to keep up the pace on my Olympic Challenge and work on a prep course for tackling Ulysses too..I'm starting to gather the books for that, anyway. So I'm very much in debt to online book groups like this one. You all keep me inspired, and I'm thankful!

Crap. How could I have left Nabokov out? My only excuse is that I was thinking more about the novelists I haven't yet tried. :eek:

BAR has really expanded my reading tastes - before coming here I was having trouble finding books to read and was sticking mainly to fantasy. Boy, have things changed now! I love coming here and reading the discussions and reviews of books - it enables me to broaden my reading even further. I especially look forward to the reviews of 'literary' books, as before now I had not encountered anything of the kind.

My list might go something like this:

Umberto Eco
Vladimir Nabakov
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Halldor Laxness
Ismael Kadare
Boris Akunin
Ivan Klima

Paul Auster
David Adams Richards
Yukio Mishima
Roddy Doyle
Tim Winton
Neil Gaiman
Chinua Achebe
Knut Hamsun

Rani Monicka
Kamilla Shamsie
Willa Cather
John Steinbeck

Stop stalking my reading list. Final warning. One more time and I start reading experimental German plays. See how you like them!

Back