• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

William Faulkner: A Rose For Emily

I finished it on Monday. A good reminder of why I like Faulkner.

It wouldn't have been the same if he had told the story in sequence. I won't talk about any more until I confirm that you've finished it.

I finished it on Monday. A good reminder of why I like Faulkner.

It wouldn't have been the same if he had told the story in sequence. I won't talk about any more until I confirm that you've finished it.

Oh I am done,I was waiting for you.:D

I think he got what he deserved but keeping him around was quacky.

I don't know that he got what he deserved. But keeping him around was strange. But then she also kept her father around for a few days. Very stange woman.

By the way, I think the other big theme was death.

Did Miss Emily and her home remind you any of Dickens Miss Havasham?

I don't know that he got what he deserved. But keeping him around was strange. But then she also kept her father around for a few days. Very stange woman.

Having experience from a small village ,we keep the dead in the house for at least 1 day,it used to be more,so I understand about the father.We go through this whole mourning process,the elders chant songs etc...I know it sounds weird but that is what we do.

As for Homer,I think she kept him around nice and dead to lie next to him.

Having experience from a small village ,we keep the dead in the house for at least 1 day,it used to be more,so I understand about the father.We go through this whole mourning process,the elders chant songs etc...I know it sounds weird but that is what we do.

As for Homer,I think she kept him around nice and dead to lie next to him.

She wasn't mourning. She denied her fathers death until they finally talked her into allowing them to take him away.

Yes,she didn't want to believe it. What about Homer?

Good question, Libra. She must have had a reason for doing what she did. I don't think the story provides many clues. Perhaps she didn't want him to leave.

Good question, Libra. She must have had a reason for doing what she did. I don't think the story provides many clues. Perhaps she didn't want him to leave.

Perhaps,but I think it was more then just him leaving,using her and leaving? Wasn't there a reference in there about his 'preferences" and did she know about it ?

Perhaps,but I think it was more then just him leaving,using her and leaving? Wasn't there a reference in there about his 'preferences" and did she know about it ?

I'm not sure it means what you're thinking since Emily and Homer were lovers. She would have known that he wasn't the marrying type so he wouldn't have stuck around forever.

Back