• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

William Faulkner: A Rose For Emily

I'm not sure it means what you're thinking since Emily and Homer were lovers. She would have known that he wasn't the marrying type so he wouldn't have stuck around forever.

I have to go back and read a certain part to make sure and I will get back to you on that thought.

I found it:

"She will persuade him yet," because Homer himself had remarked-he liked
men, and it was known that he drank with the younger men in the Elks' Club-that he was not a marrying man."

I don't think they were lovers.

I found it:

"She will persuade him yet," because Homer himself had remarked-he liked
men, and it was known that he drank with the younger men in the Elks' Club-that he was not a marrying man."

I don't think they were lovers.

I know what it says, but it was written in a different era.

I know what it says, but it was written in a different era.

I don't understand what you mean Robert.What I got from ot was,he used her,she wanted more and didn't get it.Maybe she was embarassed in front of the townspeople and poisoned him. I could be wrong.

I don't understand what you mean Robert.What I got from ot was,he used her,she wanted more and didn't get it.Maybe she was embarassed in front of the townspeople and poisoned him. I could be wrong.

You're probably right about the meaning of that line, Libra. I have a habit of questioning my interpretation of things written before my time.

You're probably right about the meaning of that line, Libra. I have a habit of questioning my interpretation of things written before my time.

Shotgun weddings and defending your honor has made and makes people do crazy things.

because Homer himself had remarked-he liked men, and it was known that he drank with the younger men in the Elks' Club-that he was not a marrying man.
I don't interpret this as meaning he was homosexual. In the story's time and place, no one would ever admit to that. He enjoyed hanging out and drinking with his friends and wasn't interested in marriage.

They were lovers and Emily did not want to the relationship to end.

I don't interpret this as meaning he was homosexual. In the story's time and place, no one would ever admit to that. He enjoyed hanging out and drinking with his friends and wasn't interested in marriage.

They were lovers and Emily did not want to the relationship to end.

True,they would not.

I think the primary theme in A Rose for Emily was in fact isolation – both physical and emotional.
Faulkner shows us how people become isolated by their families, by their community, by tradition, by law, by the past, and by their own actions and choices. At the same time, he also takes a stand against isolation and those that isolate others.

Back