• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

willy wonka

I went to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory last night. I have read the book and I thought that this adaptation was much closer to what I pictured. It was absolutely a typical Tim Burton and Johhny Depp movie. I think the most descriptive comparison would be to say that it was like Edward Scissorhands meets a nice LSD trip.

I really didn't see the reason behind the whole father plotline or the ending though. The ending just seemed overly apeasing and forced. I think the ending as the book has it, would have been better.

I think that a lot of people will like the original movie better because it is old and familiar. If you've seen the movie a dozen times and haven't read the book, the only picture you have in your head of Willy Wonka is of Gene Wilder. I went to see it with a friend who thought it was "weird" and "creepy" until I told her I liked it and why. Then, it became "weird and creepy in a good way".

I'll be going to see this on Friday as we won some tickets in a raffle. I'm looking forward to it, and I love Johnny Depp. :D

mehastings said:
I went to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory last night. I have read the book and I thought that this adaptation was much closer to what I pictured. It was absolutely a typical Tim Burton and Johhny Depp movie. I think the most descriptive comparison would be to say that it was like Edward Scissorhands meets a nice LSD trip.

I really didn't see the reason behind the whole father plotline or the ending though. The ending just seemed overly apeasing and forced. I think the ending as the book has it, would have been better.

I think that a lot of people will like the original movie better because it is old and familiar. If you've seen the movie a dozen times and haven't read the book, the only picture you have in your head of Willy Wonka is of Gene Wilder. I went to see it with a friend who thought it was "weird" and "creepy" until I told her I liked it and why. Then, it became "weird and creepy in a good way".

Weird? Creepy? LSD trip? Tim Burton? Edward Scissor hands? I am so there :D

Does everyone else have those crazy Fanta commercials before their movie or is that just my theater? I hate those ads but I always start drooling for a strawberry soda after I see them :rolleyes:

Yes I read the book as well and I think the changes they made to the story for the film were a big improvement but the book was good.

Ronny said:
Yes I read the book as well and I think the changes they made to the story for the film were a big improvement but the book was good.
oh ronnie its heaven here this weekend,channel 5 are showing a lot of roald dahl movies,just watched the witches,and willy wonkas on tomorrow,i have gone back to my second childhood! :D

So I went to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory yesterday, and now I'm wondering... Did the French not translate the original names (for example, Charlie in Dutch is Sjakie) or was the translator for the movie extremely lazy and didn't bother with using the translated names?

Back