• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Windows 8 : Anybody else using it?

Not using Windows 8, but surprising so many people dislike it. I suppose I will have to live with it for a while to find out. I tried out the Release Candidate way back when, and thought it was novel to change things around. I'm with Peder in this, that change is pretty much inevitable, so may as well learn the new stuff, but of course not to the point where things are clearly rotten.

I prefer Windows I suppose because I know I can do some development work on it (if I choose). My netbook's loaded with Ubuntu, which I like, but beyond basic stuff isn't all that exciting.

I'm of the opinion that if all you're doing in your daily computing is webmail, writing, spreadsheeting, web browsing and watching movies, then it shouldn't really matter which OS you're using.

It's when you do stuff like programming, running specialized programs, movie editing that things start to be a little more specific.

mm there are factors such as cost, availability, local tech support, compatible software, and stability. Not forgetting personal preferences

@sparkchaser Windows stopping support is a problem.because software developers stop making their stuff compatible and also withdraw support. So finding new programs or getting updates on what you have got already stops forcing you to upgrade.

Fair point but you can't really expect software companies to support ten year old versions of software, can you? I mean they will but you better have some deep pockets because it ain't gonna be cheap.

Fair point but you can't really expect software companies to support ten year old versions of software, can you? I mean they will but you better have some deep pockets because it ain't gonna be cheap.

Yeah I know all dat :) that's why I was going :( at the news Microsoft is pulling the plug. Reluctant upgrade in the future :)

Another reason not to upgrade, Microsoft have rolled out the invitation to upgrade to Windows 8.1, I've upgraded and it's not compatible with Norton 360. Symantec ever on the lookout for fast evolving cybercriminals took their eye off Microsoft...

It is so annoying when you install something and its incompatible with something else or messes up the installation on something else.

trouble with win 8 is that isn't meant for non-touch screens. I had a look at it on a friend's PC and it is sooo counter intuitive unless you think of it as a touch screen and even then it's a pain.

The touch screen is vaguely handy (one touch to email), but the best touch is to one's original desktop. :D At least in my use.
But no complaints.

I'm still going to wait for Windows 9.

On the premise that Microsoft alternate 'good' and 'stinker' with each release?

More weird shit...

The number of standard disk partitions goes up from 3 to 5 and that includes a headscratcher that starts with \\?\Volume... It can't be deleted or defragged and I haven't found any definitive 'solves' that don't require root treatment, it's rather annoying.

Um who installs windows updates? A time consuming, data munching exercise in "How To Mess Up Your Computer Daily" :D

Back