• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Windows 8 : Anybody else using it?

753C

Is anybody else using windows 8? I have had it for about 2 weeks now, and it is a gigantic nightmare for me. I'm just curious if I am just old and stupid or if anyone else has experienced the same feelings.

I played around with it at work (tech support) and I find it horrendous. I find it a pain to find the simplest settings, applications, etc in either the Bento-box style desktop or the actual desktop. Whoever thought having two desktop environments was a good idea, needs a good smack in the face.

I find that with people on the phone no-body, including the (so-called) IT experts, has any idea of what they are doing.

To answer you question: it's got nothing to do with you being old or stupid, Windows 8 is what's stupid. I hope the next Windows will be better, for now, I'm definitely sticking with my Mac.

Cool. I went from MacOS (which I loved) to Windows 7. I thought, "OK, this is windows but more Mac-like". I liked it a little less, but got used to it and actually really began to like it. Then I got "upgraded" to 8 and ...... wow. This blows. I can't figure out how to do much of anything. It's like a foreign language. Oh well. I will have to adapt to survive. :)
But thanks for letting me know I'm not old and stupid!

Windows 7 is fine as it actually makes sense and you don't need to spend ages trying to find something. With Windows it seems like that every other OS they come up with is terribad, so you've got XP (yay), Vista (meh), 7 (yay), 8 (supermeh).

I am using 8.
It is training me, but I am patient.
You know, baby steps. :D

Last edited:
Nope I'm still on *gasp* XP and I have to be pushed hard into changing when it comes to Windows (not to mention that I would have re-acquire virtually all my software for the newer version which is a major pain in the proverbial). I have the quaint notion that if ain't broke don't fix it and XP works!

Unless you have a tablet or a touchscreen monitor for your computer, Windows 8 is a huge steaming pile of donkey doo-doo. And that's me being nice.

Nope I'm still on *gasp* XP and I have to be pushed hard into changing when it comes to Windows (not to mention that I would have re-acquire virtually all my software for the newer version which is a major pain in the proverbial). I have the quaint notion that if ain't broke don't fix it and XP works!

Yeah... Microsoft will end support for XP April next year, that's one of the reasons I bought a new laptop.

Windows 8 isn't compatible with my old printer either which being no longer manufactured hasn't a new printer driver.

Progress.

I upgraded my Vista machine to XP. The nice thing is that you won't be alone as many others will have put 7 on the machine you have and have written about it regarding any issues.

I think I must have been through all the Windows operating systems since the old 386 days. Lived with all of them and gradually became familiar with them for as many capabilities as I ever needed. XP was a revelation when it happened and I really came to like it; Windows 7 likewise. Now I am deciphering Windows 8 because it came with my nice new touch-screen HP machine. Change and variety are the spice of life.
Until the next one comes along,
Cheers!
:D

Back