• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Wisconsin boy in Detroit

igbomb

Greetings! I've been lurking around here for a month or so, but I thought I would just say hi. I've always been a pretty consistent reader, but lately I have really felt the urge to read some more of the modern literature, so to speak. I think I have a decent handle on some of the older classics, and I've read a lot of fantasy/sci-fi, but I wanted to expand a little into books written in the last 20-25 years. So I thought I would throw my current TBR list out there for comment. Feel free to suggest some books that would either fit on the list, or might be a bit of a departure from what I have lined up. Thanks.

Cloud Atlas David Mitchell
Life of Pi Yann Martel
The Chronicles of Narnia C.S. Lewis
Oryx and Crake Margaret Atwood
Alas, Babylon Pat Frank
The Beach Alex Garland
The Brothers Karamazov Fyodor Dostoevsky
Cryptonomicon Neal Stephenson
Dracula Bram Stoker
Earth Abides George R. Stewart
Gone With the Wind Margaret Mitchell
The Historian Elizabeth Kostova
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Douglas Adams
The Illuminatus Trilogy Robert Shea
Lolita Vladimir Nabokov
Mercy Among the Children David Adams Richards
The Remains of the Day Kazuo Ishiguro
Sarum Edward Rutherford
The Sea John Banville
Shogun James Clavell
Sight Unseen Robert Goddard
Tales of the South Pacific James Michener
The Three Musketeers Alexandre Dumas
The Way the Crow Flies Ann-Marie McDonald

Chad

Hey, Chad. So what's better, Wisconsin or Detroit?

This list is varied and wonderful. I have some crossover reading experience. Though I usually hestitate to recommend, you might enjoy The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty. There's a thread on it somewhere.

Also, are you a Cormac McCarthy fan? Any interest in H. Murakami?

Hey Chad! Welcome!! :) A number of the ones on your list are also on mine - Cloud Atlas has had great things written about it and The Three Muskateers is a book I'm looking to get into. You sound like a very diverse reader.

igbomb said:
Greetings! I've been lurking around here for a month or so, but I thought I would just say hi. I've always been a pretty consistent reader, but lately I have really felt the urge to read some more of the modern literature, so to speak. I think I have a decent handle on some of the older classics, and I've read a lot of fantasy/sci-fi, but I wanted to expand a little into books written in the last 20-25 years. So I thought I would throw my current TBR list out there for comment. Feel free to suggest some books that would either fit on the list, or might be a bit of a departure from what I have lined up. Thanks.

Cloud Atlas David Mitchell
Life of Pi Yann Martel
The Chronicles of Narnia C.S. Lewis
Oryx and Crake Margaret Atwood
Alas, Babylon Pat Frank
The Beach Alex Garland
The Brothers Karamazov Fyodor Dostoevsky
Cryptonomicon Neal Stephenson
Dracula Bram Stoker
Earth Abides George R. Stewart
Gone With the Wind Margaret Mitchell
The Historian Elizabeth Kostova
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Douglas Adams
The Illuminatus Trilogy Robert Shea
Lolita Vladimir Nabokov
Mercy Among the Children David Adams Richards
The Remains of the Day Kazuo Ishiguro
Sarum Edward Rutherford
The Sea John Banville
Shogun James Clavell
Sight Unseen Robert Goddard
Tales of the South Pacific James Michener
The Three Musketeers Alexandre Dumas
The Way the Crow Flies Ann-Marie McDonald

Chad

Wow! What a diverse list you have there!
I love Narnia and Gone With the Wind. Oryx and Crake are in my library bag waiting its turn..I gave up on James Michner after several tries..
Looks like you could just pile up your books, close your eyes and just pull one out of the bunch.
Welcome to the group; I look forward to seeing you around.

novella said:
Hey, Chad. So what's better, Wisconsin or Detroit?

This list is varied and wonderful. I have some crossover reading experience. Though I usually hestitate to recommend, you might enjoy The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty. There's a thread on it somewhere.

Also, are you a Cormac McCarthy fan? Any interest in H. Murakami?

I'd move back to Wisconsin in a minute if I could. But winters are a lot colder, and my wife is not prepared to move that far from her family.

I must admit, I haven't heard of any of the authors you mention. In fact, short of Lewis and Dumas, I haven't even read anything by anyone on my list. I am very ignorant on modern authors and have formed most of my list by suggestions on this site, followed by a trip to Amazon to check out the reviews and read the first page or two. I'll definitely check them out though.

Kookamoor said:
Hey Chad! Welcome!! :) A number of the ones on your list are also on mine - Cloud Atlas has had great things written about it and The Three Muskateers is a book I'm looking to get into. You sound like a very diverse reader.

I'm working on Cloud Atlas right now. I'm just getting into it, but I like what I've read up to this point.

abecedarian said:
Wow! What a diverse list you have there!
I love Narnia and Gone With the Wind. Oryx and Crake are in my library bag waiting its turn..I gave up on James Michner after several tries..
Looks like you could just pile up your books, close your eyes and just pull one out of the bunch.
Welcome to the group; I look forward to seeing you around.

Actually, that is almost exactly what I do. I try to read the book of the month here, but aside from that I randomly select one from my list (random number generator) and read that next. After Cloud of Atlas, I think I have Life of Pi, Chronicles of Narnia, and Oryx and Crake next. I may be waiting on Life of Pi from my library for a little while though.

Back