• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Woltroduction

Wolhay

I mostly read fiction that doesn't take place in the ordinary worlds and the genre that interest me the most is dystopias of different kinds, for example dystopias about authoritarian states that leave no room for the individual and dystopias where civilization has fallen to great disasters or wars.

My favourite author is Robert A. Heinlein. I love the reoccurring theme in his books about minding one's own business and not caring what others do.

My preference in music is industrial EBM and bands such as :Wumpscut:, Das Ich and Sisters of Mercy.

Welcome to the Boards, wolhay! You'll find us a friendly bunch of booklovers.

Dystopias, eh? Have you read Samual Beckett's Endgame?

No?

Well, go on then.

Anyway, welcome!

Cheers, Martin :D

Welcome!!!

Regards
Martin ( the good one! Watch out for the Evil one... oh shit he is above me!!! )

<--runs away and hides

Welcome Wolhay! I hope you enjoy your stay here....no matter how long your sentence. :)

RaVeN (Honarary Phil, No Class)

Welcome to the forum Wolhay.

[headpodd refuses to ask what dystopias are and is currently rooting through the dictionary]

Thanks for the welcomes.

I haven't read "Endgame" but it doesn't necesserily seem promising that it's supposedly about the "monotony and boredom of existence" but I guess that it could be pleasantly misanthropic.

The next dystopia that I had planned to read is "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson.

Dystopia might not be in the dictionary since it's a relatively new coinage but it's basically the opposite of utopia.

Wolhay said:
Dystopia might not be in the dictionary since it's a relatively new coinage but it's basically the opposite of utopia.

Dystopia - good name for a band, RaVeN, if our threads never come home ;)

Welcome Wolhay. Is that pronounced Wall-hay, Volley, Woollie or wot? :D

Third Man Girl

Wolhay said:

Here in The States we pronounce that France. :D

RaVeN

LOL
lold.gif
lold.gif

Cheers, Martin :D

Wolhay said:
The next dystopia that I had planned to read is "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson.

I love that book. Of course, it did lead to problems when I took too much of it to heart and went out experimenting during my days off...

Dystopia? You must read a lot of non fiction then. :p Welcome to the boards. I've been scarce lately because I was redoing my homepage. TADA!

"dystopias about authoritarian states that leave no room for the individual and dystopias where civilization has fallen to great disasters or wars."

My favourite author is Robert A. Heinlein. I love the reoccurring theme in his books about minding one's own business and not caring what others do.

:( This theme seems not a promising future for humanity. well, no one is an island, you know. Anyway---

Welcome!! :) Hope you enjoy yourself in this forum.

BESTS

third man girl said:
Is that pronounced Wall-hay, Volley, Woollie or wot?
The "wol" is pronounced as the "wol" in wolverine or wolf. My real name (Ulf) is probably harder to pronounce by anglos.

RaVeN said:
Here in The States we pronounce that France.
France probably have less taxes than Sweden. =p

Litany said:
I love that book. Of course, it did lead to problems when I took too much of it to heart and went out experimenting during my days off...
I'll try not to drive over pasty musicians like Homer did in "The Homega Man" episode.

Jenna said:
Dystopia? You must read a lot of non fiction then.
As a matter of fact the latest non-fiction I read was a book by two others who had the receipts for "utopias" that more or less was each others opposites.
watercrystal said:
This theme seems not a promising future for humanity. well, no one is an island, you know.
I meant more that he meant that no one should care what others do in their own bedroom for example and while there are many libertarian statements in Heinlein's works there's also been naive anarchists that learn the hard way that it could be better to be a part of a society.

Back