• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Wonderful, wonderful books

Libre

I can safely assume that most - if not all - of the membership here are book lovers. After all, this IS a book forum. So you're going to relate to this.
Have you ever noticed, how your whole disposition changes for the better when you are into a book you are enjoying? And not just while you are reading, but all the time. Isn't it easier to let the small stuff kind of roll off you? Somehow, things that would ordinarily get me down seem more bearable, and other things that would REALLY PISS ME OFF don't bother me a bit - when I'm deeply into a great book. If I miss my bus and have to wait at the stop for 20 more minutes (an event that is normally accompanied by a gnashing of the teeth and stomping of the feet) produces only a minor OH, WELL, at which point I whip it out (my book, that is) and the 20 minutes goes by in a flash. In fact, I'm grateful for the extra reading time. When something annoying occurs at work, I can sooth my irritation by just remembering that later on, I'll be transported to my alternate universe - the setting and the characters of the book I'm reading.
It's a shame that the majority of the population are relative dead-heads, and have no interest in literature of any kind - beyond the sports pages of the local tabloid newspapers. They may never discover what we already know so well, a good book can be your best friend. Always available, never predictable, and able to whisk us away from the boredom and travails of our lives.
I don't get this feeling when I'm reading a book that's just OK. Only when I'm really into a book - like I am with the book I'm reading now, and also my last book (The Time Traveller's Wife).
You know what I'm talking about? I think you do!

Libre,
I can relate, sort of. It's not so much that my disposition changes (I tend to be annoyingly easygoing anyway) but when I am in the middle of an engaging book then I find myself thinking about it at odd moments.

The only thing in the world that truely makes me impatient is when I'm in the middle of a social situation that I can't get away from, and waiting at home is a half read book that I'm dying to get back to.

I don't get this feeling when I'm reading a book that's just OK. Only when I'm really into a book -
Ah yes, those books. There's nothing quite like discovering that a book is one of those books. It's pretty impossible to describe it to non readers though :( .

If I'm reading a book that I truly am enjoying it gives me sort of a eye. I can feel a little relaxed, a little happy and sometimes giddy. Then when the books ends I'm in search of another good book which I can not seem to find too often.

This is true in some respects! Like, when your supposed to be meeting up with a friend you haven't seen for ages and they cancel at the last minute, ordinarily would annoy me, but in the middle of a good book you have to stop yourself from screaming "YESSSSS" down the phone!

However, I get annoyed when I am interupted from my good book, whether its by work, sleep or the boyfriend wanting to spend time with me :rolleyes: although usually he is pretty good and lets me read anyways.

I tend to agree that when I'm in a hot read, usually a very lengthy novel, life does seem just a little bit better. It is interesting that when I'm involved with an amazing book, I carry it with me everywhere, while the only okay books usually get left at home on the stand waiting for a spare moment. Yay for wonderful books!

Ah, yes! That fabulous feeling that the world could be ending in the Apocalypse, but as long as I can read kind of thing! I always try to have a book with me for those random moments of free time where printed pages can transport me away from stressfully annoying situations.

Libre said:
It's a shame that the majority of the population are relative dead-heads, and have no interest in literature of any kind - beyond the sports pages of the local tabloid newspapers.
Ouch! As someone who is constantly having to justify my reading (of fiction) to others, who say I need to "get a life, frankly", I would have hoped that readers could argue that reading could, and should, hold benefits to everyone, in a more tactical way.

I hate how judgmental I, and other readers, am/are.

You know what I'm talking about? I think you do!
Yes. Maybe reading is an addiction, and as with any addiction, there are "good trips" and "bad trips".

Maybe it's the nympho in me (joking!) but I tend to put my books in two categories:

Lovers and One Night Stands
One Night Stands are those books that you enjoy, you're into it when it's happening but doesn't really leave a lasting effect on you (books unlike real one night stands, can't give you herpes)

Lovers however are all consuming, it's like the first two or three weeks of a relationship where all you want to do is be with them, you think about them at work, in the shower, while you're trying to sleep. You forgoe sleeping, eating, even bathing to spend time with them. When it's over you miss them, you wish you could be with them again.

And, there's always the chance that what you think is a one night stand might turn into something more.

Ok, that might be the craziest post I've EVER written.

Prairie_Girl said:
Not crazy at all - I know exactly what you mean.

steffee
Why should you have to justify reading to anyone?
If they don't understand, it's kinda their prob, I think.

gem
Annoyingly easygoing?
I wish more people were more annoying.
Wait... forget that.

Ouch! As someone who is constantly having to justify my reading (of fiction) to others, who say I need to "get a life, frankly", I would have hoped that readers could argue that reading could, and should, hold benefits to everyone, in a more tactical way.
I've never had someone say that to me. Usually when people find out how much I read, they think it's admirable, and wish they liked to read as much.
Have you ever noticed, how your whole disposition changes for the better when you are into a book you are enjoying? And not just while you are reading, but all the time.
Books affect me this way as well. I associate reading with a sort of euphoria, and this influences my day to day actions. I often opt to stay home and read than go out on the town. I bring my book to work so I can read during my lunch hour. Once, I was on my way to the beach, and was only 5 minutes away, when I passed a sign pointing to the local library. I was overcome, and would have gone to the library and looked at books except I wasn't driving...
I go to the bookstore and look around..seeing so many books in perfect condition is a high. I even like the smell of the paper.

If I've just finished a long and fabulous book, (the "Lovers" Prairie_Girl mentions), I feel bereft and desolated, and need to take time to recover before I can start something new. And there are some books from which I never recover, and they become a part of me.

I agree, whenever I'm in the middle of a juicy thick novel my days do seem to go by better. Anytime I'm reading a really, really good book I usually bring it with me everywhere and relish those blank moments where I can read. Yay for amazing books!

YES, YES, YES!

I was actually thinking along a similar line just this past week. I have problems with severe back pain following an epidural injury and several subsequent back surgeries and the pain and the disability it causes can really get you down. Anyways, through books I am transported to another universe and it totally makes me feel better.

Or, if the kids are totally driving me up the wall, I seclude myself in my room for a bit and read a chapter or two and everything is in a new perspective for me and I can carry on with schooling them or whatever is at hand.

It is just that escape I guess.

BTW, Time Traveller's Wife is on my to-buy list at Half Price Books next time I make a stop.

Prairie_Girl said:
Maybe it's the nympho in me (joking!) but I tend to put my books in two categories:

One Night Stands are those books that you enjoy, you're into it when it's happening but doesn't really leave a lasting effect on you (books unlike real one night stands, can't give you herpes)

Lovers however are all consuming, it's like the first two or three weeks of a relationship where all you want to do is be with them, you think about them at work, in the shower, while you're trying to sleep. You forgoe sleeping, eating, even bathing to spend time with them. When it's over you miss them, you wish you could be with them again.

And, there's always the chance that what you think is a one night stand might turn into something more.

I absolutely love your break-down, you nympho! ^_~ Your post has made my night.

And your post just made my very very very lousy week a lot better. (no sympathy for the lousy week. I work in a bank. A bank CALL CENTRE. Every week is a lousy week)

Prairie_Girl, you nympho you :D

I was going to post the number of books that have swept me along with them, but now of course I can't - it would show the rest of my reads to be one night stands - and a lady never tells how many of those she has had ;) .

Libre, whilst travelling on the train/tube I'm usually in my own little world, but after your post I have indulged in a little people-watching - and the readers do seem less harried than the non readers.

Prairie_Girl said:

How very Stephen King of you to say that. :D

King categorized short stories and novels in the exact same way (stories being affairs, and novels being a relationship).

Libre, I know *exactly* what you're talking about - I'm in the midst of Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series, and it's simply brilliant. The troubles he keeps finding himself into, and how he comes out of it is so funny! It's addictive as hell, and I've been buying as many of the books as I can lay my hands on. I can't stop too - I'm supposed to be working, or studying, or cleaning up the house, etc etc but I get carried away with 'just one more chapter'.

ds

Not crazy at all - I know exactly what you mean.

steffee
Why should you have to justify reading to anyone?
If they don't understand, it's kinda their prob, I think.

gem
Annoyingly easygoing?
I wish more people were more annoying.
Wait... forget that.

It happens. I've gotten something like that.:p Annoyingly easy going and annoyingly positive. Along the lines of 'why aren't you getting upset!'. Well because there's no purpose to it. I'm right along with the poster except I don't usually get upset over missing a bus. Then again I usually have a book too. :rolleyes:

yes!!

ah i know what you mean..... ....:) there are those special books...i totally relate to that as for people "dead-heads" as you call them lolol...well i guess its their problem all they are missing out on! my parents HATE reading. its rather funny cuz everyone who talks to me are surprised at how different they are :p nothing wrong with movies or nething but...well there is a limit on movies. and personally i would prefer books anyway, so that i can imagine it myself...not staring all drooly at the tv screen (of course not saying everyone does that hahahahaha...but does anyone ever notice that if someone is watching tv/movie...their mouth almost always is hanging open? :p :p :p )

Back