• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

World Cup: Discussion

Samerron

:eek: The World Cup gonna start now ... !! It's just a matter of hours. The opening ceremony has already started, I guess. I'm watching it !! :D

Can't you feel the spirit?? People from all around the globe are going to watching this world cup with passion and axiety !!
But in the end, it's just soccer (or football), isn't it? ;)

Germany 4 Costa Rica 2

Well, the German defence tried thier best to get inside the little clown car, but the Costa Ricans beat them to it, then did a couple of laps round the big top before the exhaust exploded and both doors fell off.

Kenny Shovel said:
Well, the German defence tried thier best to get inside the little clown car, but the Costa Ricans beat them to it, then did a couple of laps round the big top before the exhaust exploded and both doors fell off.
It was a nice opening for the world cup, 6 goals in the first match!!
Well, Germany diserved to win but I felt sorry for Costa Rican goal keeper when Germany scored the thrid goal.

I predicted a 3-1 win for the Germs, but was happy to see the other two additional goals. My initial impression: they were PROFLIGATE! They will pay the price against stronger teams if they continue to play like that.

My second impression: my heart thumps a little faster for Costa Rica everything Drummond touched the ball. That guy is almost Germany's 12th player.

ds

So who are some of the strongest teams? Who are some of the worst? Just curious-non soccer fan here. Is Manchester United playing?:p

The germans have a remarkable ability to get far in the world cup even if their teams are not that special.

Well England have just beaten Paraguay 1 - 0. England played reasonably well for the first 30 minutes or so but I felt Paraguay really put the pressure on in the second half. Valdez was rather impressive, though I would have preferred to see Santa Cruz have more action. The substitute goalkeeper (Bobadilla) made some decent saves! On the balance of play, England did deserve to sneak the win, but the ref certainly made a few odd calls :confused:

The Germans played a good opening match yesterday, but I agree with DS, they will need to tighten up their game when they play the stronger teams or else they may find themselves in trouble. Sweden vs T&T start shortly, then it is on to Argentina vs Ivory Coast later on this evening.

England were lucky to win. I dont think england will go far, but i had expected more than this from the team. Santa Cruz has just returned from a long term injury i think, and looked unfit or at least uninterested. If england continues like this they will struggle against most teams.

England deserves the 3 points for winning but they were disappointing. I was expecting more from them. They have very good players and an excellent coach. There attacks were very trivial and mostly due to holes in the defense.

I want to see what Argentina has to promise this world cup :rolleyes:

Zolipara said:
Santa Cruz has just returned from a long term injury i think, and looked unfit or at least uninterested.
Yes - he had tendonitus (I think) in his right knee and seeing his lack of participation I wonder if he was actually fully fit. Paraguay sent Cardozo home earlier on this week with a leg injury so they were probably struggling for strikers. If Santa Cruz had been fully fit and participated more then a draw would have been a better result.

I was disappointed with the England's team theatrics for the first half :rolleyes: To be fair Paraguay had their moments too, but I was impressed when their player was kneed in the head by Gerard and he didn't make a fuss, yet Gerard was rolling around on the pitch (ok it may have hurt but still - I can't stand such displays and wish they would just get up and get on with the game). I have little time or patience for those who try and cheat (though I can forgive Maradona's hand of god ;) the other goal he scored during that game was amazing).

Ice said:
(though I can forgive Maradona's hand of god ;) the other goal he scored during that game was amazing).

That episode only adds to his legendary status. Anyone that has seen him play in his prime will forgive him for all his less than perfect sides.

Zolipara said:
England were lucky to win. I dont think england will go far, but i had expected more than this from the team...If england continues like this they will struggle against most teams.
Personally I thought there was a fairly predictable pattern to the game given the weather.
England have, on paper at least, one of the better squads at the World Cup, and if the matches were being played on freezing cold February nights, with the rain pouring down and the crowd ten yards away from the pitch, they'd have much more of a chance to win. But World & Euro Cups are played in the summer and given quality passing opposition and a hot day England always fade away. It's only a matter of time before they come across those conditions in the knock-out stages.
The only question for me is who that quality passing side will be, because four games in and I'm yet to see a side that impresses.

K-S

Ice said:

I was disappointed with the England's team theatrics for the first half :rolleyes: To be fair Paraguay had their moments too, but I was impressed when their player was kneed in the head by Gerard and he didn't make a fuss, yet Gerard was rolling around on the pitch (ok it may have hurt but still - I can't stand such displays and wish they would just get up and get on with the game). I have little time or patience for those who try and cheat (though I can forgive Maradona's hand of god ;) the other goal he scored during that game was amazing).

Ice your comments could have been lifted directly from the BBC message boards which usually degenerate into bad language, mud slinging etc. and get stopped very quickely. Diving and faking injury really annoys me to, but I do believe Gerrard was genuinely in pain.

Perhaps Sports discussions should be added to your list of banned topics for discussion.

Kenny Shovel said:
The only question for me is who that quality passing side will be, because four games in and I'm yet to see a side that impresses.
K-S

Hopefully you will see one tonight when argentina plays.

The first games in the World Cup are always a bit unpredictable. I'm sure the passing will get better as sides become more confidant after their opening matches

blueboatdriver said:
Ice your comments could have been lifted directly from the BBC message boards which usually degenerate into bad language, mud slinging etc. and get stopped very quickely. Diving and faking injury really annoys me to, but I do believe Gerrard was genuinely in pain.

Perhaps Sports discussions should be added to your list of banned topics for discussion.
Why would we ban the discussion of sports? People get passionate about some topics and cheating (diving/faking injury) is one that annoys me greatly. Don't get me wrong, it happens so much now that it almost seems part and parcel of the game - which is a shame :( Why would this discussion degenerate into bad language etc? I was under the impression that most here are mature enough to discuss their views without the need to get personal.

As an aside - I am currently watching the Argentina vs Ivory Coast game (well it's half time at the moment). This has proved a rather eventful game thus far, with both sides playing some very good football. Yaya Toure has impressed me for the Ivory Coast and Saviola is playing well. Crespo is a favourite of mine anyway, so was pleased he scored. What do you think about the 'goal' that wasn't given? I personally think that the whole ball was indeed over the line (though it is of little consequence now).

T&T did well with 10 men against Sweden!

Off to watch the second half :cool:

Sorry Ice; just thought you were having an undeserved dig at the England side. The England side are not reknown for their diving and faking (cheating) antics. In fact we won the World Cup Fairplay award in 1990 and in 1998.
I've just watched the Argentina game and also thought the ball was over the line. Ivory Coast put up an excellent fight and were very close in the end. I did notice a couple of classic dives in this game though. Don't you think Drogba deserves an Oscar? Best game so far though and Argentina do look a good prospect for the final but England to seem to be able to find something extra for the really big games. The heat could be a problem for us though. :)

So, in another thread I made a comment about nobody caring about soccer (football...whatever) over here. I just left work a bit ago, where seven of us were sitting around glued to the TV over the Argentina v Ivory Coast game. I was surprised. They even turned off MythBusters to watch it.

BTW, I agree it was a good game. I was surprised at how good of a fight IVC put up, but I wasn't shocked with the final outcome.

blueboatdriver said:
Sorry Ice; just thought you were having an undeserved dig at the England side. The England side are not reknown for their diving and faking (cheating) antics. In fact we won the World Cup Fairplay award in 1990 and in 1998.
Oh no - I know that England aren't the worst by far (though they obviously have their moments - Owen seems to have trouble staying on his feet against Argentina. The dive he took in 98' was utterley disgraceful and then another 4 years ago :( ). The Italians have several such 'moments' and I love watching them play - it just irritates me that you can't watch a game of football without someone trying to deceive.

I've just watched the Argentina game and also thought the ball was over the line. Ivory Coast put up an excellent fight and were very close in the end. I did notice a couple of classic dives in this game though. Don't you think Drogba deserves an Oscar?
Oh Drogba :rolleyes: The amount of times he has dived for Chelsea - I can't stand it in domestic games anymore than I can in international games.

Best game so far though and Argentina do look a good prospect for the final but England to seem to be able to find something extra for the really big games. The heat could be a problem for us though. :)
Oh I agree that Argentina have the talent to go all the way and this game was definately the best I have seen thus far. The Ivory Coast did impress me with how they played - if they can keep that level up I wouldn't be suprised if they can qualify for the second round. Originally I assumed it would be Argentina and the Netherlands whom would qualify (though I must admit, Holland haven't seemed to be able to recreate the talent they had several years back for a while now). However, after yesterdays performance, I think that the Ivory Coast may be able to get through.

Like yourself, I think that the heat could be a problem for the English. For the first 30 minutes yesterday they played very well, but after that they eased off noticably and later on in the second half they did struggle.

Back