• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

World Cup: Discussion

Zidane went crazy!!! What was he trying to do in his last game!!!

Guys, didn't I tell you Italy is going to win ;)

VIVA ITALIA !!!

aus.news1.yimg.com_us.yimg.com_i_fifa__fi_up_20060709_1152479747.jpg

Well the game could have been better but it was entertaining. Italy were by far the better team during the first half but were very poor after half time. Cannavaro played well as did Zidane and Materazzi. Malouda irritated the hell out of me - I swear he spent more time on the floor than he did actually playing! He was forever diving :rolleyes: I personaly don't think that France should have been awarded the penalty and am glad Italy won :cool:

beer good said:
WHAT THE HELL WAS ZIDANE THINKING?!? What a way to end a career... IDIOT.
I think he was stupid but his moment of madness shouldn't overshadow how well he has played this tournament (well it doesn't for me anyway). He is a great footballer and it is a shame he made his exit from the game in such a way :(

Ice said:
I think he was stupid but his moment of madness shouldn't overshadow how well he has played this tournament (well it doesn't for me anyway). He is a great footballer and it is a shame he made his exit from the game in such a way :(
Oh, I absolutely agree. Zidane was a great player, and for him to go out like this is as big a tragedy as it was that Maradona's last tournament ended in a doping charge. To some, Zidane will now forever be known as "the headbutt guy"; it's his own fault, but I hope the majority will remember him like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOrcxwKAlOU

Personally, though, I hope FIFA will take a long hard think about how this world cup looked. To me, it was one of the worst ever; defensive strategies always won, there were far too few goals, far too many games decided by poor refereeing, and FAR too many dives and cheats. Check out direstraits' Christiano Ronaldo cartoon above; it's spot-on. Something needs to be done about that or we might as well remove the whole bit about scoring goals and just grade players on how well they take a dive, like they do in diving and figureskating.

beer good said:
Oh, I absolutely agree. Zidane was a great player, and for him to go out like this is as big a tragedy as it was that Maradona's last tournament ended in a doping charge.

Maradona has lived through many scandals and is still viewed as a god.

Zidane is one of a few football players that can be mentioned in the same sentence as maradona, and i doubt his career will be viewed any different over this one situation.

Zolipara said:
Maradona has lived through many scandals and is still viewed as a god.

Zidane is one of a few football players that can be mentioned in the same sentence as maradona,

Maradona was a great player with at times feet, and hand, of clay, but I don't buy this insistance that he's as good or better than Pele. But then I don't see why Pele is held up so highly. They are both great players, but so were Garincha, Eusebio, Best, Cyruff, Platini, Zico, Socrates and a number of others.

Zolipara said:
and i doubt his career will be viewed any different over this one situation.

It will always be mentioned, it's to much for the media to resist, "the great players last touch on the pitch was a head butt" is too good a tagline.

It doesn't effect my view of him, but then I grew up with 70's & 80's English football which is a lot more physical than the immasculated version FIFA are trying to serve up. I used to go and watch the great Liverpool team of the late 70's and early 80's, and for all the great, if at times functional, football, they still had players like Jimmy Case and Greame Souness who'd kick you in the bollocks if you so much as looked at them wrong, let alone tried to verbally wind them up. I miss those days...

Kenny Shovel said:
Maradona was a great player with at times feet, and hand, of clay, but I don't buy this insistance that he's as good or better than Pele. But then I don't see why Pele is held up so highly. They are both great players, but so were Garincha, Eusebio, Best, Cyruff, Platini, Zico, Socrates and a number of others.

It probably depends on how old you are. I've never seen a match where Eusebio, Pele or Garrincha played. All i've seen are clips of some goals. But i grew up watching Maradona. I did see how influential he was on the team that won the world cup in 86, and on his club teams. So for me he is in a league of his own. Zidane deserves to be mentioned with Maradona, as he has shown much of the same for club and country.

Ronaldinho is proclaimed as the next football great, but he has yet to show that on the national team. In a team filled with stars, Ronaldinho was distinctly average on a underperforming Brazil.

It will always be mentioned, it's to much for the media to resist, "the great players last touch on the pitch was a head butt" is too good a tagline.
Sure, but he will still first and foremost be remembered as one of the greatest ever football players.

Bottom line, Zidane screwed up big time, may have cost his team the World Cup, and he will always be remembered for the dumbness. Just like Barry Bonds will always be remembered as Barry Balco.

muggle said:
Bottom line, Zidane screwed up big time, may have cost his team the World Cup, and he will always be remembered for the dumbness. Just like Barry Bonds will always be remembered as Barry Balco.
I guess I would say Zidane has the right to screw up, although it's absolutely not the right thing to do in a final game. He is the key figure that helped the French reach the finals, so if he messed up a bit due to his anger, the team should not blame him.

Actually, Zidane won the World Cup's Best Player Award and I think he deserved it.

Well, the WorldCup is over. It was a great one and I really enjoyed it. I think every team got what it deserves :rolleyes: , right guys?

Italia now have 4 stars on their shirts. I should get one as soon as they're out ... :cool:

See next time after four years... :)

1281896341.jpg

Samerron said:
Actually, Zidane won the World Cup's Best Player Award and I think he deserved it.

I dont think he deserved it. He had a couple of good games in the world cup, but was overall not that special. He was completely invisible in the group stages for instance. Cannavaro was impressive in all the games for Italy, but everyone knows a defender can never win awards like that.

Zidane probably got it because of his impressive career and because it was his last game.

Hi Dear friend,
I was impressed when their player was kneed in the head by Gerard and he didn't make a fuss.....

Back