• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

World's oldest Bible to be available online

/patiently/
If you read the link I provided however Psalms is included in the list of found bits at the site by the Dead Sea. That is what I was referring to in my post.

I read the link you posted as well as several links at the bottom of the page. Correct me if I'm wrong but are none of the scrolls from books in the New Testament?

Edit: Pont, I'm not too terribly concerned about whether or not Psalms match up (although it would be interesting to see how it compares to the Dead Sea Scrolls); I am curious about 400 A.D. Gospel of Mark vs. contemporary Gospel of Mark.

The Psalms are not "part" of the Greek Scriptures [NT], but if you've ever seen those little giveaway Bibles that are given away, the teeny ones, they include only the NT and Psalms. Mostly because the Psalms are so comforting in nature. Not because they are part and parcel.

P.S. what you say about lack of inclusion of Greek Scriptures is correct.

The Psalms are not "part" of the Greek Scriptures [NT], but if you've ever seen those little giveaway Bibles that are given away, the teeny ones, they include only the NT and Psalms. Mostly because the Psalms are so comforting in nature. Not because they are part and parcel.

P.S. what you say about lack of inclusion of Greek Scriptures is correct.

True, the Psalms are great comfort.. but they also contain passages that refer to the coming Messiah, and words Jesus himself quoted on the cross..
"My God, why have you forsaken me?"

True, the Psalms are great comfort.. but they also contain passages that refer to the coming Messiah, and words Jesus himself quoted on the cross..
"My God, why have you forsaken me?"
It's also one of the few places [Psalms 83:18] that still in most modern translations leave the name of God in place, Jehovah.

Sure but can't this version, since it is closer to the original chronologically speaking, be considered more valid than our modern versions?

There is a good overview of the evidence for and against the missing ending of Mark in Wikipedia: Mark 16 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Modern Bibles nearly always place Mark 16:9-20 in a footnote or indicate that most reliable early manuscripts and other ancient witnesses do not have the passage.

There is a good overview of the evidence for and against the missing ending of Mark in Wikipedia: Mark 16 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's an excellent and detailed overview of evidence and considerations pro and con, but I don't think I see a conclusion in it. Which tends to feed the cynical side of my attitude about such huge clouds of words: that they usually don't answer the question. Clear answers are usually short and sweet, or can be made so, IMO. I am simply not expert enough, by far, to read such large accumulations of contradictory thoughts to decide impartially where the truth rests. That's for far more knowledgeable people than I am. But I am glad to see how tangled a tale it is. So, many thanks for the link.

That's an excellent and detailed overview of evidence and considerations pro and con, but I don't think I see a conclusion in it. Which tends to feed the cynical side of my attitude about such huge clouds of words: that they usually don't answer the question. Clear answers are usually short and sweet, or can be made so, IMO. I am simply not expert enough, by far, to read such large accumulations of contradictory thoughts to decide impartially where the truth rests. That's for far more knowledgeable people than I am. But I am glad to see how tangled a tale it is. So, many thanks for the link.

Short of a time machine and 100 witnesses, there will be no consensus on that.

Clear answers are usually short and sweet, or can be made so, IMO.

That may be true in mystery stories, but not so often in real life.

I think the best answer is the last page got lost, the scribe who was recording the Codex Sinaiticus left a space for inserting the last page when it was found, and it was never found or the scribe never got back to finishing it. That's the sort of thing that happens to me every day.

Why would people be unhappy that a fragment of this Bible didn't mention the Resurrection?

My understanding of the matter is that the earliest books of the bible didn't have the resurrection or miracles but that those were added in later as a way to control the masses and make people into believers.

Abc, have you read "Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why" by Bart Ehrman? Ehrman is a biblical scholar who studied all the earliest books of the bible in their original languages. It's an interesting book.

My personal opinion is that we will NEVER know the truth about Jesus.:sad:

That said, I'm glad that many old documents will made available online.

My understanding of the matter is that the earliest books of the bible didn't have the resurrection or miracles but that those were added in later as a way to control the masses and make people into believers.

That's the first I've heard that. Evidence I've seen doesn't imply that at all.

The masses in those days being much more credulous than we are today ....

That may be true in mystery stories, but not so often in real life.

I think the best answer is the last page got lost, the scribe who was recording the Codex Sinaiticus left a space for inserting the last page when it was found, and it was never found or the scribe never got back to finishing it. That's the sort of thing that happens to me every day.

I'm not sure why the reference to detective stories.

It seems to me your explanation is simple and from real life.

I don't think it will any difference to most people who call themselves Christians. They don't follow the teachings of Jesus in any version of the new testament as it is. Sadly, The Bible has become just another totem for primitive tribalism.

Back