• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Worst/Most Overrated books

SillyWabbit said:
I hope you are not planning on going to that forum are you? :D

You're not being nice!
This is serious stuff, going around calling Brown, Shakespeare.

Overrated .. hmm difficult to say.

Well, just about every classis that was stuffed down my throat while I was studying English lit:

- Tess of the D'Urberville
- Wuthering Heights
- Pride And Prejudice
- Vanity Fair
- etc ...

I guess the classics just aren't my thing - I prefer contemporary fiction.

I enjoyed Shakespeare (of which I have read many), though, but I always thought I'd enjoy him more if he'd written in prose, instead of in the play-style. But that's just me, I guess.

Cheers

It's hard to call Dan Brown Overated when everyone, especially you lot, seems to hate the guy so much. Not that im disagreeing. But Id call him oversold rather than overrated.

I'll have to disagree with Emma as well. Am I really the only one who liked it? I dont know what it is, but I enjoyed it and couldn't put it down. Not brilliant in any way I suppose, but likeable enough.

For my own choice, Im putting down Dune: The Butlerian Jihad down with interest. I actually did hear great reviews for this. Which is why I bought the damn thing in the first place. Boy was I letdown. It was like someone had written it for a 6 year old.

I totally agree with Shakespeare writing in Prose though. When it's written in play form it just doesn't seem like it's meant to be read. And with just speech you get the feeling your missing something. What the hell the characters look like for one thing. But I still rate Othello one of my favourite books though.

Hey, some of us here enjoyed the Da Vinci Code!! <waves hand> .. but as Stewart can tell you, that is because I am uneducated, unthinking swine! :D

He'd be wrong of course, but it goes to show you never can tell ;)

As an addition to the list:

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis - now I know all that indetail stuff about what everyone is wearing is meant to be indicative of the characters psychosis, but to be honest its just plain boring as hell!! :)

Phil

Martin said:
I enjoyed Shakespeare (of which I have read many), though, but I always thought I'd enjoy him more if he'd written in prose, instead of in the play-style. But that's just me, I guess.

Cheers

nope, me too!! i love shakespeare and i love his style and the choice of words, but why does it has to be a play?? but i guess it is a part of the charme!!

Maya said:
How do you know Danish?
Just curious. :)

I stayed in Kogtved Sofahrtskole for almost a month when I worked with Maersk and I've been to Aarhus several times. I used to watch a lot of movies with Danish subtitles, too and found myself reading the words despite the film itself being completely in English.

Jude the Obscure
Lord Jim
Moby Dick
Last of the Mohicans

Just some of the many assigned books I did not manage to read.

Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code

Come on, folks. It's two years old. Let other books have a chance of being on the bestseller lists. This book is OK.. the author did a tremendous amount of research for it, however, the plot is a bit weak.

azbedwell said:
Would like to add The Great Gatsby

AMEN! I really didn't enjoy that one.

Someone also mentioned liking Othello, and I'm afraid I disagree with that one. I thought Old Bill was having an off day when I read that one. Mind you, it may have been the dreadful Yr 11 English teacher that I had to put up with. She was one of those 'here is what he is saying, no more, no less'. I clashed with her more than any other teacher in my schooling, she was such a close minded IDIOT! Hey, I can still get this passionate about it 9 years on, it must have made an impression! But I like a lot of Shakespeare's other works, his comedies are wonderful, but my favorite of all is Hamlet. I just adore that play.

My contribution to this list are as follows:

Sons and Lovers - D. H. Lawrence. Not a redeemable quality in *any* of the characters. I really didn't give a damn what happened to them.

And there'll be some hate mail about the next one...

Lord of the Rings - J. R. R. Tolkien. Now, I like fantasy, and I agree that he was a trailblazer in the genre. But... just because the Wright Brothers make a breakthrough in their aeroplane doesn't mean that we have to continue to use their design and say it's the 'best thing ever', does it? I think it's got some good parts, some interesting characters, but as for being 'The Greatest Fantasy Of Our Time'. Give me a break. In terms of complexity, I think David Eddings could eat him for breakfast, and I never found the characters themselves that complex. I knew more about the lichen they were standing on than about their lives. And don't even get me started on that last chapter! I did like the movies, though :D

i heard the da vinci code is bad... but I'd still want to read it just for the heck of it.

worst series book? nancy drew or hardy boys... they suck. i used to like em but it became too predictable...

Back