1. Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Worst Stephen King Novels

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi, Fantasy, & Horror Books' started by eyez0nme, May 17, 2006.

1. Vespertilio91

Vespertilio91 New Member

Currently Reading:
    The Scent of Shadows: The First Sign of the Zodiac
    Valkyrie, you know me too well! I'll try it, but I won't say I'm going to love it.

Never mention It to me. That is the worst, worst, worst, and worst novel ever. The movie was even worse.:mad: (I can't think of anything else to describe that book)

Does anyone understand From a Buick 8? I read it and was lost from beginning to end. Also, way too much cursing for me. Cussing was in every sentence after every other word.:mad:

2. Peronel

Peronel New Member

Currently Reading:
    'Sense and Sensibility' - Jane Austen
    "Tommyknockers"? "It"? Have you people gone mad????

Nah, seriously, each to their own. As long as no-one says "The Stand", I won't be forced to send out telepathic bitch slaps.

I like everything that I have read of King's, I don't really dislike his newer stuff, but I can see how fans of his older horror stuff could dislike it.

I thought that "Rose Madder" left a lot to be desired, but good on him for trying something different.

3. AJ_

AJ_ New Member

From a Buick 8. Just didn't care for it.

4. darrenwbrandon

darrenwbrandon New Member

Currently Reading:
    Whatever the book for September ends up being.
    I didn't care for Gerald's Game or The Eye of the Dragon.

5. Real Great Idea

Real Great Idea New Member

I love Stephen King and have read everything by him, to date except the new Dark Tower book, and Cycle of the Werewolf. The worst book that he wrote was Dreamcatcher. I thought this book never should have seen the light of day. There are a few short stories that I didn't like, but as far as novels go, this is the only one that I really regreted reading.

6. Fenster

Fenster New Member

Currently Reading:
    V: The Second Generation by Kenneth Johnson
    King says in the intro to the restored version (at least the one that I read) that he has met a lot of his fans who consider "The Stand" their favorite of his works, and even ask him what happened to the characters afterwards - "As if I get letters from [the characters] from time to time."

That's how I feel about "'Salem's Lot" - I would love to know more about Ben Mears, Mark Petrie and other characters who survived. King once said in an interview that he planned a sequel but never got to it.

NEway, as for "The Stand", I liked it but didn't love it. It held my attention, but didn't enthrall me the way it did so many other readers. When you think about it though, I can see why people love it. You get to know these believable characters, watch as their world is shattered and then see them try to rebuild society and, later, save the world.

Just wasn't my cup o' tea, I guess.

7. Anamnesis

Anamnesis Active Member

The fifth Dark Tower novel offers up some information about what happened to Ben and Mark, but not much. Too bad King never got around to writing a sequel; I would have liked to read that.

Same here. I read the original version (NOT the Uncut Edition), and while I liked it I was sort of let down. One of these days I'll pick up the revised version and see if I like that any better.

8. graydaisy

graydaisy New Member

Currently Reading:
    the bell jar
    I can't tell if you are being genuine or sarcastic. The description you give would make me want to throw the book against the wall, but then you go on to say that you are enjoying it. I read Wolves. It was my least favorite from the Dark Tower Series, but, I didn't hate it. But, read this description again.

Who would read that?!! :eek:

I just thought it sounded funny. You should definitely finish reading the book. It will be useful for the next two dark tower books and they are very good. ;)

9. hoop

hoop New Member

I'm in amazement that From a Buick 8 is getting so much hate. I think it's his most mature book, and certainly the one that shines the brightest light on his characters. From page 20 I read the whole thing in one sitting, completely enthralled.

The only King book I had to force myself to read was Bag of Bones. Everything else is steller, IMO.

10. Madeline

Madeline New Member

I like Stephen King's books, but I wouldn't read TommyKnockers because of its language. Desperation was good, but the book was too big and heavy.
    I just read Cell, and it was good.
    I've got a lot of his books that I haven't read, trying to work them in with my others.
    I like his weird mind and imagination:D

11. clockworkgirl21

clockworkgirl21 New Member

-Carrie
    -Sorry, but the Dark Tower series
    -Gerald's Game

"It" was good, but way too long. I have to say that Eyes of the Dragon is my favorite. I love anything with kings, dragons, and so on. I just picked up Hearts in Atlantis at the library. Maybe I shouldn't have...

12. hoop

hoop New Member

I've heard that the first story in Hearts in Atlantis is incredible.

Madeline - You couldn't get past the language in Tommyknockers - do you mean the swearing?

13. Madeline

Madeline New Member

Yes, I don't mind some swearing, but (in my opinion) there wasn't a sentence that was worth reading as far as I can remember. My husband finished the book, but he's like that, can't leave a book unread and said it was hard to read because of the foul language (and he's no saint).

14. Mattyj

Mattyj New Member

Same here. I got about halfway and I was done. That book totally turned me off to King. Up until that point I devoured everything he put out.

15. -Carlos-

-Carlos- New Member

Currently Reading:
    The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King
    Sorry but I totally disagree. The DT series is his best work actually. But you are granted your view.

16. Stewart

Stewart Active Member

I'm sure clockworkgirl21 is cockahoop you have granted her permission to have an independent view of your own. Much like the one you have shown regarding The Dark Tower series being his best - that's your own view actually.