• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Writing Letters

Elyse Mac said:
Oh, this post is definitely for me! I have a web group that I manage based on the lost art of letter writing. We do a pen pal swap, have sections on Emily Post's instructions on "how to write letters," stationary and pen links. Oh... I just love writing letters. I write to everyone on beautiful stationary and use a fountain pen. Ok... I'm going to stop gushing now! But I would like to confess that I feel so Elizabeth Bennett when I write letters. :rolleyes:

Can I join please?

Hey there!
Info about my group. I've just moved it from Yahoo to MSN because you can have a more personalized website. The website is still under construction, but it's looking good so far. If you joined, you'd be my first new members. I want to get this group as big as my yahoo group was and this would be a great start! However, let me remind you again it's under construction!!! So, don't judge it harshly please. I'm in the process of moving... actually moving this Saturday so after the move it will start to look alot better.
http://groups.msn.com/TheArtfulLetter

If you do decide to join me... I would love your imput and I'll make you both assistant managers.

I can't wait to have more time to go through your page, Elyse! I'm read a few of your Emily Post: Longer Letters pages, and I want to do nothing more than sit down and write to my best friend who is in dire need of correspondence. I hope to get a few hours this weekend to sit down with some lovely paper and write some long-awaited missives :) Thanks again, Elyse!!

Your group is a good effort Elyse. That is perhaps one of the most practical things a person can do to help revive the lost art of writing. I'd do it, but no one would be able to decipher it. :D

I used to write lots of letters and had pen pals. Now I only send emails, and they are always very short and businesslike, nothing like my letters used to be. The worst thing is that I don't even write letters to people who don't use emails. My parents always complain about that.

Ellen Goodman of the Washington Post has an excellent article that is very relevant to this discussion at hand. I think a lot of what we are talking about is what he mentions, though I think the "emptiness" part is a bit over the top.

CASCO BAY, Maine -- I arrive at the island post office carrying an artifact from another age. It's a square envelope, handwritten, with a return address that can be found on a map. Inside is a condolence note, a few words of memory and sympathy to a wife who has become a widow. I could have sent these words far more efficiently through e-mail than through this "snail mail." But I am among those who still believe that sympathy is diluted by two-thirds when it arrives over the Internet transom.

I would no more send an e-condolence than an e-thank you or an e-wedding invitation. There are rituals you cannot speed up without destroying them. It would be like serving Thanksgiving dinner at a fast-food restaurant.

My note goes into the old blue mailbox and I walk home wondering if slowness isn't the only way we pay attention now in a world of hyperactive technology.

Weeks ago, a friend lamented the trouble she had communicating with her grown son. It wasn't that her son was out of touch. Hardly. They were connected across miles through e-mail and cell phone, instant-messaging and text-messaging. But she had something serious to say and feared that an e-mail would elicit a reply that said: I M GR8. Was there no way to get undivided attention in the full in-box of his life? She finally chose a letter, a pen on paper, a stamp on envelope.

How do you describe the times we live in, so connected and yet fractured? Linda Stone, a former Microsoft techie, characterizes ours as an era of "continuous partial attention." At the extreme end are teenagers instant-messaging while they are talking on the cell phone, downloading music and doing homework. But adults too live with all systems go, interrupted and distracted, scanning everything, multi-technological-tasking everywhere.

We suffer from the illusion, Stone says, that we can expand our personal bandwidth, connecting to more and more. Instead, we end up overstimulated, overwhelmed and, she adds, unfulfilled. Continuous partial attention inevitably feels like a lack of full attention.
-Article

Is Elyse still around? I'm looking for a book about letter writing - not the formal sort of letter writing, but the personal sort. I want to give it as a gift to a friend who I'd really like to start writing more snail mail to. I think it would give us both a bit of inspiration. I've looked around my local bookstore and on Amazon and couldn't really find what I'm looking for. I don't really want an instructional book, but more a book to inspire one to write letters - containing examples of various letters through the years. My friend is a big Jane Austen fan, so examples of an Elizabeth Bennet'esque style would be great.

Any ideas?

Kookamoor said:
Is Elyse still around? I'm looking for a book about letter writing - not the formal sort of letter writing, but the personal sort. I want to give it as a gift to a friend who I'd really like to start writing more snail mail to. I think it would give us both a bit of inspiration. I've looked around my local bookstore and on Amazon and couldn't really find what I'm looking for. I don't really want an instructional book, but more a book to inspire one to write letters - containing examples of various letters through the years. My friend is a big Jane Austen fan, so examples of an Elizabeth Bennet'esque style would be great.

Any ideas?

I think she's gone. According to her public profile page, she was last logged in on Sept.23rd.

I still write letters about every two weeks to my pen pal in the Czech Republic, but apart from that I don't send them at all. That being said, I don't send e-mails either, unless I'm sending an attachment of some sort for someone to see or to be printed out somewhere else, so I don't think that e-mail has really taken over my world either.

I agree that I would much rather get a hand-written letter than an electronic one. I can't even begin to imagine why someone would send a birthday card and such through e-mail - it's just so impersonal and unemotional.

MonkeyCatcher said:
I can't even begin to imagine why someone would send a birthday card and such through e-mail - it's just so impersonal and unemotional.
*sigh* Yes, but unfortunately time sometimes gets the better of me. I remember the birthdays of my best friends and endevour to mail them cards, and will either call or give a card to friends in the same town. There are other friends who I really only contact a few times a year, but I always remember their birthdays. It's the way that I continue to stay in touch.

There was an article in today's paper about a couple of ladies who have been pen pal for 60 years. It started as a class project for the Wichita lady when she was still in school, and has endured a lifetime. The friend is here now from England for a few weeks. Sounds like they've each visited the other many times. I found myself feeling very jealous.

Back