• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

You can use the f-word in class

Miss Shelf said:
No wonder home schooling has gotten more popular.

Did anyone have a "swear jar" in their houses growing up? We had to put a nickel in the jar whenever Mom heard us cussing.

Nope. We were pretty good when we were around the house.

Miss Shelf said:
you're gonna make me think my family was as foul-mouthed as The Simpsons! :(

Sorry, that wasn’t my intention. That’s just the way it was in our home. Even when my father was at his worse, he never used foul language. In my home, it’s the exception rather then the rule. It’s just the way it is.

oh, we were careful not to cuss when my dad was around! Mom was a little more laid-back but she still enforced the rules. :D

Motokid said:
and what would the "punishment" be??????

parents been called to school, students need to apologize to the teacher,
and then worse... caning for guys on their butts.
most schools in my country are quite strict with their students...

Peder said:
Chew,
Interesting question!
Not in America, or at least not in New York, it wouldn't be! Not by any means.:eek:
Anyone? How the water elsewhere?:confused:
Peder

Actually both guys and gals said the f-word before, if according to whatever people who I've met so far. I asked this question because... i'm not sure what's the reason actually.

Motokid said:
I don't understand why you ask that question, and why Peder would think it's interesting?

Can you explain why you asked it? What about this thread appears to be male specific?

edit: by my count: 10 guys have responded, and 7 girls have responded.

...pretty close ratio I think....

Actually I also don't understand why I'm asking this question out of the blues.
Maybe my mind was'nt working well yesterday.

Even if gals and guys I've ever met know how to use this word, but mostly guys are more likely to use it fuckingly easily. Like in my class, all the guys used it oftenly, while only 2-3 gals using that word.

For me, I don't speak that word easily, but I write it with an extreme ease.

Any explanation?

Oops, Motokid,
I see I missed a post of yours. Sorry.
Why did my ears perk up at the question?
In NY, the word has been in common use for so long, among both men and women, and especially on another public forum that I inhabit, that I thought it unusual for someone to think of it as a men-only topic after all this time. I thought it might be an indication that not all the world is yet the same as NY.
Peder

Robert said:
Sorry, that wasn’t my intention. That’s just the way it was in our home. Even when my father was at his worse, he never used foul language. In my home, it’s the exception rather then the rule. It’s just the way it is.

Exactly the same at our place. I've never heard my mother swear and my father would never do it at home either so, of course, we would never think of swearing at home, although we did when we were with our friends.

Motokid said:
ummm....I believe that's not in America...it's in the UK from what I can tell. The web site is certainly British, and for the most part we never refer to schools as secondary...and most of America is way too conservative to allow anything like this to happen without a huge stink in the media.

My guess.....this is not a school in America.
Oops... my bad :eek: I didn't read the post properly, but it's still crazy!

Peder said:
Oops, Motokid,
I see I missed a post of yours. Sorry.
Why did my ears perk up at the question?
In NY, the word has been in common use for so long, among both men and women, and especially on another public forum that I inhabit, that I thought it unusual for someone to think of it as a men-only topic after all this time. I thought it might be an indication that not all the world is yet the same as NY.
Peder

Not a problem...I did not understand the question. I now see that she was refering to those people who actually use the f-word in common speech as being more of a male issue than female. I thought she was refering to the thread itself. Just confusion on my part.

By the way....there's a few 1000 other posts of mine you have not responded to....get to it sir....get to it....

LOL, Motokid,
But beware what you ask for!
A post shorter than a few thousand words can be a rarity from me :rolleyes:
Have a good day,
Peder

Peder said:
In NY, the word has been in common use for so long, among both men and women, and especially on another public forum that I inhabit, that I thought it unusual for someone to think of it as a men-only topic after all this time.
Around here those swear words are in fact used more by men than by women - at least if we stick to the age group 10-25. After that it evens out.

I thought it might be an indication that not all the world is yet the same as NY
Goodness - if this is the only indication you've seen that all the world is not like NY I'd say you need to read more about the rest of the world.

But I'm assuming that it was meant in jest and am chuckling greatly as I'm writing this :p

Jemima,
You are chuckling, but I am ROTFALOL. Because I don't quite know how to respond. But I am very glad you took my post in jest. :)

Actually mine was a very poorly phrased, incomplete thought meant to express only the hope that the rest of the world was not using the F-word with the same prevalence as in NYC. But I think you picked up a different tone in what I said, and I hope I didn't offend. I like your gentle jibe.

I say that I know that NYC and the world are different, and I see the obvious differences. But I am also certain that I don't know all the ways that it is true. So I hope I didn't unconsciously project a 'New York' attitude that I certainly didn't intend.

You picked up on it though,
And I'll try to be more careful,
Peder

Ah no worries. I'm not easily offended.

This was merely my way of pointing out that your phrase wasn't as clear as it could have been. And I found it rather funny - the idea that people everywhere will end up being like the New Yorkers. It's an interesting thought, though I've yet to figure out how it might come to pass.

I always jibe gently hehe at least as long as I'm new at posting on a forum - once I feel more at home I start brandishing my sarcasm...

Jemima Aslana said:
the idea that people everywhere will end up being like the New Yorkers. It's an interesting thought, though I've yet to figure out how it might come to pass. ...

Oh, Jemima,
Perish that thought!
Though it is far from the worst outcome possible, we need a better outcome than that in terms of humane living IMO.
I suspect it is a lot nicer where you are.
Peder

Oh I suspect you're right.

It's smaller for sure :p Considering the entire population of DK can live in NYC 3 times over :p

My home town has approx 65.000 inhabitants and we still have a university. It's nice and clean here hehe gotta love it :D

Jemima,
There are such places in the US too, but you have to find them. And attractive though they may be, it still seems that there are amazing numbers of people all wanting to cram into NY. Go figure!
We are actually out in the suburbs; we coudn't hack it any more in the City. And life is much nicer.
Peder

Robert said:
My parents swore, but it was saved for certain times. Neither one of them ever swore in conversation, only when they were angry and hen they never used the 'f' word. But even so, I never swore in a classroom, at a teacher, or in front of my parents. Even now when I'm grown up I still get in trouble if I swear in front of them.

However, back to the topic, in my classroom I'm lucky. Since I'm an English teacher I can use that to my own advantage to stop any kind of swearing. I explain that I expect a more formal tone to be used in the classroom. Generally it's accepted without any problems. Another thing I do if a child does swear is explain to them that I, too, swear when I am at home or with my friends, but I don't come into the classroom and swear because it is not the place for it and I therefore expect that they, too, will not come into the classroom and swear. I have never had a kid actually swear at me and if I did they would be in serious trouble. That kind of behaviour is not tolerated at my school and I work at a 'bad' high school. I guess things are just different here, but I can't imagine our federation (union) ever allowing such a rule like this one being discussed to be passed. Teachers would walk out on strike immediately.

My mother has never uttered a swear in her life. At least not that anyone other than she could hear.

My father reserved his curses for special occasions, too.

- The grand opening of a pack of cigarettes.
- days of the week that ended in 'y'.
- the release of air from his lungs.

You know, rare instances like these! :rolleyes:

We (my brother and I) didn't cuss while we were living at home, in front of either parent. I remember one of the only time my mother ever struck me... I admitted to having called a girl in our neighborhood a bitch, and she slapped me off of my bicycle. (I don't mean she slapped me, and then I got off of my bicycle. I mean she slapped me off of my bicycle!)

Cussing was only tolerated by adult males in my family.

Back