• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

You can use the f-word in class

CDA said:
If anyone swore at school when I was a kid, they'd get a beating of the teachers, and quite rightly so.

Teacher can't do that in the US, haven't been able to for years. You can only send the child home and inform the parents.

Robert said:
Teacher can't do that in the US, haven't been able to for years. You can only send the child home and inform the parents.

Well, it never did me any harm. Do you want a fight about it? :)

At my school the teachers couldn't even send us home - they were responsible for our safety during school hours - so they could hardly send us off into the dangerous world outside...

Psh.

I'll say that I don't mind the word f*ck being used - as long as it's not ABused. But talking back to the teachers should never be allowed. I can easily imagine talking back happening without f*ck ever being used and I can easily imagine f*ck being used aside from situations with talking back.

There's no use in banning wors if you don't ban behavious, and there's definitely no use in unbanning certain words - to a degree, if that means opening up for unruly behaviour.

A classmate of my brother's - back when they were 7 - once threatened the Headmaster that he'd have his dad come with his chainsaw and cut him up real good. That's not the kid talking - that's a kid saying what he's heard his dad say. Don't we live in a nice world?

Wow! Only in America, huh....

If you swear at a teacher in my school you get stood down (suspended) for a couple of days. There is no way in hell that that rule would ever be passed in my school, and rightfully so. I can't believe that the teachers would allow the pupils to be so disrespectful :eek:

MonkeyCatcher said:
Wow! Only in America, huh....

ummm....I believe that's not in America...it's in the UK from what I can tell. The web site is certainly British, and for the most part we never refer to schools as secondary...and most of America is way too conservative to allow anything like this to happen without a huge stink in the media.

My guess.....this is not a school in America.

chewlianchillz said:
Is this thread for guys only? =P
Chew,
Interesting question!
Not in America, or at least not in New York, it wouldn't be! Not by any means.:eek:
Anyone? How the water elsewhere?:confused:
Peder

chewlianchillz said:
Is this thread for guys only? =P

I don't understand why you ask that question, and why Peder would think it's interesting?

Can you explain why you asked it? What about this thread appears to be male specific?

edit: by my count: 10 guys have responded, and 7 girls have responded.

...pretty close ratio I think....

CDA said:
If anyone swore at school when I was a kid, they'd get a beating of the teachers, and quite rightly so.

As I said before, I got paddlin's -a- plenty in school. Certainly wouldn't happen now, though.

In the States we talk out of both sides of our mouths.

We expect the schools to parent our children (i.e. teach them about sex, and social behavior, and other previously personal issues), but if the schools were to act parental (i.e. punishing a child) we scream for a lawsuit.

This may be yet another thread, but I think this can all be traced to the ambitions of the American family, and having children as "status symbols".

Regardless of the reasons, though, no child should be allowed to use profaine or abusive language at school. period.

leckert said:
This may be yet another thread, but I think this can all be traced to the ambitions of the American family, and having children as "status symbols".

Regardless of the reasons, though, no child should be allowed to use profaine or abusive language at school. period.

There's also the problems of single parents (oohhhh....how un-PC of me to think that could be a problem...tough shit...I think it is....)

And the need for both parents to work to be able to pay the bills....which cuts into parenting time too...

And the need for children to be plopped into daycare 6 weeks after being born to be raised by adults who are not thier parents...( un-PC of me again I think...)

Motokid said:
There's also the problems of single parents (oohhhh....how un-PC of me to think that could be a problem...tough shit...I think it is....)

And the need for both parents to work to be able to pay the bills....which cuts into parenting time too...

And the need for children to be plopped into daycare 6 weeks after being born to be raised by adults who are not thier parents...( un-PC of me again I think...)

You are absolutely correct, Moto.

My wife has been in daycare for the last fifteen years (as a care provide, not a student! although I do like them young! :D )

I never cease to be amazed at the parents who will bring their kids to daycare when they have days off of work so that they don't have to be "bothered" with them! What kind of message are these parents sending to their children?

leckert said:
In the States we talk out of both sides of our mouths.

We expect the schools to parent our children (i.e. teach them about sex, and social behavior, and other previously personal issues), but if the schools were to act parental (i.e. punishing a child) we scream for a lawsuit.
Leckert,
I used to be old-fashioned when I was old, but now I think I am growing up, or down as the case may be, as I grow older still.
The local girl's college used to have dorm rules and curfews long long ago (~50 years) and increasingly the girls complained. The college thought they were doing what the parents wanted, namely acting in place of parents. When they finally asked for parent's opinions they, and a lot of us, were surprised to hear the overwhelming opinion was to let their girls do as they wanted (away from home in NYC no less!). And the college gladly fled from the parental role as fast as they could.
So nowadays, I don't think it's both sides of the mouth. Parents want the parenting role in both of its modern aspects: yes to sex, no to punishment, just way they have it at home.
That's all new to me, both roles, but that is the way I see parents behaving with their own kids so I'm not surprised the schools go that way too.
/shaking head/
Peder

BTW Since high jumping increases competitiveness and there are losers, I hear they are thnking of introducing low jumping. Just leave the bar off and run right through. j/k j/k
P.

Peder said:
Leckert,
So nowadays, I don't think it's both sides of the mouth. Parents want the parenting role in both of its modern aspects: yes to sex, no to punishment, just way they have it at home.
That's all new to me, both roles, but that is the way I see parents behaving with their own kids so I'm not surprised the schools go that way too.
/shaking head/
Peder

BTW Since high jumping increases competitiveness and there are losers, I hear they are thnking of introducing low jumping. Just leave the bar off and run right through. j/k j/k
P.

Peder, I think the problem I am having is we will gladly allow schools to hand out condoms, and teach sex education classes that promote contraceptives, but say nothing of abstinence, but if a teacher "offends" a student by correcting them, they are at risk of being sued.

That just doesn't make sense to me.

(btw - will they time how fast the "atheletes" run through the poles? I would hope not! :D )

Leckert,
It baffles me too! Completely.
But I have concluded I can only watch in amazement.
Maybe the parents don't want abstinence. I dunno. I'm totally confused.
But teachers, and especially parents, will be frisked for hidden stopwatches prior to the running low jump. :)
:confused:
Peder

No wonder home schooling has gotten more popular.

Did anyone have a "swear jar" in their houses growing up? We had to put a nickel in the jar whenever Mom heard us cussing.

Back