• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

You don't know where they've been!

jaybe

I tried to get rid of my old clutter yesterday at a car-boot sale - for those of you not in the UK, it's a junk sale.

Well, I had loads of books priced at five for a pound. Hardly anyone even glanced at them. But one woman saw a few she wanted, she called her fella over. He took her arm, dragged her away and said in a horrified tone, 'You don't know where they've been!'

Now then folks, perhaps my imagination isn't what it could be, but I can't imagine where my books could have been to have caused such disgust. Can you?

I don't know, I buy almost all of my books used :confused: And while I've sometimes came across a yucky blob of something in one all in all I've never worried to much about where they've been.

That sounds to me like a comment from a person who is paranoid, make that super-paranoid, about germs. Actually I can't imagine dry old book pages as being less hospitable places for germs, but WDIK.
Peder

Just what is the point of going to a Car Boot at all if you're going to react that way. If he's worried where the books have been, I can't imagine how he'd react if his wife saw something else there. Car Boots are full of used items, isn't that the point? Hehe, how funny.

Peder said:
Actually I can't imagine dry old book pages as being less hospitable places for germs, but WDIK.
Peder
Actually, what I can't seem to imagine is how to put the syntax together to make that sentence clearly say what I want it to. Which is that dry book pages sound to me like very inhospitable places for germs. And again WDIK. Some day I'll learn this language. :rolleyes:
Peder

ROFLOLTIC Peder! Now you know that's not true! Love the signature, by the way, how's that Glory-ious (oh, yawn) book coming along? I'll catch up with the Nabokov thread...

Well - I don't know whether to feel better about my limited imagination or not.
You lot haven't come up with anything interesting that my books have been up to behind my back to get themselves in such a potentially dangerous state.:mad: ;)

Come on, one of you must know.

On the sitcom Seinfeld (about 10 years ago) George (an abnoxious little man with abosolutely no interest in art) was in a book store and took an expensive art book into the bathroom for "a read". The bookstore caught him and forced him to fork over the hundred bucks. For the rest of the show he tried to return the book to other stores or sell it to his friends at a "discount". None would take the bait and somehow knew the book was invisibly soiled. Desperate he attempted to donate it to GoodWill for a tax write off but lady at the counter also somehow knew it was "soiled" and chased him out of the store. Very funny episode!:D :D :D

I would guess that that reaction was run-of-the-mill contempt, or as posted above, that person could just have been paranoid about things he considers to be unclean. However, if he had that attitude, he would not have wanted to go to the car boot sale...hmmmm...what strange behaviour.

Maybe he didn't want to be there and he was trying to get her to leave without buying anything.

At worst, in someone's musty basement. Conversely, it could've just as likely sat on a constantly polished shelf in the home of a person diagnosed with OCD. I don't think about it at all.

drmjwdvm said:
On the sitcom Seinfeld (about 10 years ago) George (an abnoxious little man with abosolutely no interest in art) was in a book store and took an expensive art book into the bathroom for "a read". The bookstore caught him and forced him to fork over the hundred bucks. For the rest of the show he tried to return the book to other stores or sell it to his friends at a "discount". None would take the bait and somehow knew the book was invisibly soiled. Desperate he attempted to donate it to GoodWill for a tax write off but lady at the counter also somehow knew it was "soiled" and chased him out of the store. Very funny episode!:D :D :D
:D :D I saw that one. :D
And I have to say it must be true, as the local bookstore chains do not allow customers to bring books in the bathroom. Not that I disagree with that rule in Any Way. :rolleyes: But used, is used, and as long as nothing icky is hanging off of the book, and it looks ok, it Is OK. IMHO.

I love used books and I never hesitate to pick them up when I can. It looks like you just ran across one of those folks who have a phobia about used stuff unless, of course your books smelled gross or looked like they had been through a flood. I have to wonder what he thinks of the library.

I've got it! Came to me while I emptied a barrow of my horses muck this morning.;)

There's a group of women who spend their time working to free others from oppressive relationships.

One of the ways they do this is by subliminal messages coded into second-hand books.

So this fella at the car-boot has already lost two 'cook in the kitchen whore in the bedroom' women this way.

He didn't want another enlightened.:D

I don't see why there should be a worry as to where they've been. Now if you're at good will and want to buy the underwear, cups, or ties, then I'd be worried about the plague or something like that.

Back